PDA

View Full Version : Cellphone changes coming sooooooon.

ZR
06-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Cellphone companies will soon no longer be allowed to charge customers to unlock their devices under sweeping changes to Canada's wireless code of conduct announced today.
The new code from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission also says all newly purchased devices must be unlocked, beginning Dec. 1.
The telecom regulator is making several other changes to the code that it says will give Canadians more control over their wireless services.
PHOTOS
https://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.2996714.1469126775!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (https://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.2996714.1469126775!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

The updated code, which originally came into effect in 2013, now stipulates:
- Unsatisfied customers will be able to cancel contracts within 15 days, as long as the returned devices are in near-new condition and they haven't used more than half of their monthly usage.
- Only the wireless account holder on family or shared plans can consent to overage and roaming charges, unless others on the plan are expressly authorized to approve the costs.
- Data caps will also be tied to single accounts, no matter how many devices are listed on a shared plan.
- Wireless service providers cannot unilaterally change the key terms of a contract with a customer for voice, text or data services.
The changes come six months after the regulator heard from consumer groups, who said some cellphone companies were violating the code, either passively or actively, and called for the rules to be tightened and enforced.
“The changes and clarifications we are announcing today will give Canadians additional tools to make informed choices about their wireless services and take advantage of competitive offers in the marketplace,” CRTC chairman Jean-Pierre Blais said in a statement.
“While they appreciate the code, (Canadians) told us loudly and clearly that it could be more effective. We have listened to them,” said Blais, who will end his term at the helm of the regulatory body this week.

R3troGT
06-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Somehow these things never end up being good for the consumer...

I have a company cell Phone and pay $0, so I don't care :drool:

Scrape
06-16-2017, 07:32 AM
Finally it happened...This is a game changer here in Canada. No more locked devices.

ZR
06-16-2017, 07:48 AM
I thinks da same.

Harbinger
06-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Last time changes were made they all but abolished reasonable 5gb fido / rogers data plans. All we are left with now are 1 to 2 gb data plans for over 80 per month (plus taxes).

So maybe its a win for the time being but whos to say they wont up the plans again and effectively make them cost prohibitive?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

StAnger
06-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Last time changes were made they all but abolished reasonable 5gb fido / rogers data plans. All we are left with now are 1 to 2 gb data plans for over 80 per month (plus taxes).

So maybe its a win for the time being but whos to say they wont up the plans again and effectively make them cost prohibitive?

You can still get 5gb Fido plans for $85/month, ditto for Virgin and other major carriers (I'm guessing).

Now if only we could get unlimited data, that would be great.

Harbinger
06-16-2017, 08:02 AM
You can still get 5gb Fido plans for $85/month, ditto for Virgin and other major carriers (I'm guessing).

Now if only we could get unlimited data, that would be great.
5gb plans used to be 45 to 50

mavrrrick
06-16-2017, 08:02 AM
I'm with what used to be WIND.. always $50 a month unlimited everything.

ZR
06-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Heading out next week to see how badly Fido wants to keep my three phones / three lines. Was able to work out a hell of a deal last go round.

Biz
06-16-2017, 08:07 AM
This is long overdue but as stated we the customer will pay for it somewhere.

Canadian telecoms made a total of $37.7 million last year by charging customers to unlock their cellphones. That's a whopping 75 per cent jump in this source of revenue compared to 2014.

Telecoms often order locked phones from manufacturers that are programmed to work only with their service. Then they charge a fee — typically $50 — to unlock the phone if a customer wants to switch providers.

The charge is unpopular with consumers. It has even been referred to it as a 'ransom fee.'

Harbinger
06-16-2017, 08:08 AM
I'm with what used to be WIND.. always $50 a month unlimited everything.
My best bud has wind/freedom mobile. His wife and I can barely reach him. Data is a hit and miss often slow. Its a shame the big 3 dominate so much of the long range lte bands.

Harbinger
06-16-2017, 08:13 AM
This is long overdue but as stated we the customer will pay for it somewhere.

The charge is unpopular with consumers. It has even been referred to it as a 'ransom fee.'

There are alternative companies that charge 25 to unlock depending on the cell phone of course. But its a sigh of relief that soon all phones will be unlocked free of charge. Inexcusable that we canadians are constantly squeezed for money by the big 3, gov taxes and insurance companies it has to stop at some point :(

ZR
06-16-2017, 08:18 AM
Solution to all your problems.
No cell phone $
No car insurance $
No gas pump stick shock $

https://tce-live2.s3.amazonaws.com/media/media/71c42349-9544-4606-b622-94e51c1a531f.jpg

RedSN
06-16-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm all for free unlocks, but isn't this going to eliminate the 'free' phones when you sign a contract? Or the 'free' upgrades?
Nobody is going to give you a free phone with a plan if you can just walk away from the plan ....with the phone.

The easy solution to this has always been: pay full price for an unlocked phone up front.

As mentioned, the unlock fee will just get buried somewhere else. Ignorance is bliss.

ZR
06-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Never had an issue with "free phone" being locked to them for duration of contract. At the end of the contract (unless stated otherwise) the phone is yours and should be unlocked for you to do with as you wish. Having to pay or be obligated to them is ridiculous, held up your end of the bargain which means you owe them nothing.

Gabe
06-16-2017, 09:07 AM
I'm all for free unlocks, but isn't this going to eliminate the 'free' phones when you sign a contract? Or the 'free' upgrades?
Nobody is going to give you a free phone with a plan if you can just walk away from the plan ....with the phone.

The easy solution to this has always been: pay full price for an unlocked phone up front.

As mentioned, the unlock fee will just get buried somewhere else. Ignorance is bliss.

The contract you sign to get the free phone is what keeps the "free" phone promotion valid.

StAnger
06-16-2017, 09:47 AM
5gb plans used to be 45 to 50

Didn't realize that. I'm paying that for 2Gb.

Harbinger
06-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Didn't realize that. I'm paying that for 2Gb.
Yup most dont know. I remember circa 2012 plans were 40 to 50 maybe even 60ish for 5gb fido and rogers. Now 2gb plans hover between 50 to 70...5gb plans go north of 100...absurd.

mavrrrick
06-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Freedom suits my needs so far....if i was a business person, i would go with big co. like rogers (as much as i hate rogers)

Harbinger
06-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Freedom suits my needs so far....if i was a business person, i would go with big co. like rogers (as much as i hate rogers)
I happen to agree with you. My boss used wind for business calls...big mistake. He couldn't even talk on the bluetooth while driving...signal was cutting out, couldnt make calls within the warehouse etc. If the call quality is of no consequence then paying 30 or 40 bucks for wind / freedom isnt too bad.

mavrrrick
06-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Only area i have problems, and i think its all carriers, is vic park/warden and 401 area. other than that...all good

ZR
06-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Fido has been generally very good.

MUSTANGWOP
06-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Fido has been generally very good.Same for me, never had an issue. Using their internet also.

True Blue
06-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Now 2gb plans hover between 50 to 70...5gb plans go north of 100...absurd.

There's a 3rd party company that's under Rogers umbrella and this plan is selling like hot cakes. Current promo is 400min Canada wide (unlimited incoming after 6 months). Unlimited evening, and weekends and unlimited text including international with 2GB of data. Comes with a phone all for only $36/month! Plus a $50 credit for signing up.

Harbinger
06-16-2017, 05:44 PM
There's a 3rd party company that's under Rogers umbrella and this plan is selling like hot cakes. Current promo is 400min Canada wide (unlimited incoming after 6 months). Unlimited evening, and weekends and unlimited text including international with 2GB of data. Comes with a phone all for only $36/month! Plus a $50 credit for signing up.
Zoomerwirless. Got ny gf on it. Im stuck on a corporate contract with bell unfortunately.

True Blue
06-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Zoomerwirless. Got ny gf on it. Im stuck on a corporate contract with bell unfortunately.

Yup! Been with them for 2.5yrs, they have been rock solid!!! As much as I hate Rogers, Zoomer has been fantastic and their customer service is second to none!

I have the family plan with them. 2 phones, pretty much everything unlimited with 4GB of data for $72/month.

FoxRod
07-04-2017, 01:05 PM
FYI...Rogers customers (I know most dislike Rogers), I managed to change my son's plan to a no contract BYOD $50/mnth 4gb data, unlimited text, Canada wide calling, call display and vmail, and roam like home option, I was originally paying $90/mth for 2.5gb .
Waiting a callback for porting my wife's and daughter's line over from Telus.

Today is the last day...according to RegFlag deals.ca

Stephen06GT
07-04-2017, 03:45 PM
FYI...Rogers customers (I know most dislike Rogers), I managed to change my son's plan to a no contract BYOD $50/mnth 4gb data, unlimited text, Canada wide calling, call display and vmail, and roam like home option, I was originally paying $90/mth for 2.5gb .
Waiting a callback for porting my wife's and daughter's line over from Telus.

Today is the last day...according to RegFlag deals.ca

THANK YOU !!!!!
With this new plan I'm saving almost $25/month and gaining 2 gig of data.

bluetoy
07-04-2017, 07:01 PM
I just switched to Videotron from Telus. I switched 3 lines and brought my own phones. I have unlimited Canada wide calling text voice mail blah blah etc. 10 gigs of data per line for 53.95/month each. They use Rogers towers when out of Videotron service area. No roaming anywhere in Canada. Ported in my Ottawa numbers.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/mobile/mobile-plans

FoxRod
07-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Another Rogers Loyalty plan...

[Rogers] HOT Rogers 10GB retention plan with Canada wide calling only $90 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-hot-rogers-10gb-retention-plan-canada-wide-calling-only-90-2112204/