PDA

View Full Version : Which Gas is better?

KRS
06-21-2017, 11:12 AM
I live on the Michigan border so it's easy to get fuel in the US. In Michigan 93 Octane is readily available at Shell or Sunoco but it's 10% ethanol. In Ontario (where I live) the best I can get is 91 Octane, no ethanol. My car is tuned for 91 but a safety factor is always nice to have. At the time that I got the tune, the tuner didn't have anything good to say about Michigan fuel.

TheMustangShow
06-21-2017, 11:17 AM
If your car is not tuned for (93) higher Octane, you're wasting your time and Money.

If you have access to the Shell 91 V-Power, with no Octane, in Ontario, that's your best option.

RedSN
06-21-2017, 11:32 AM
If you have access to the Shell 91 V-Power, with no Octane, in Ontario, that's your best option.
Make sure you have NO octane. ;)

KRS
06-21-2017, 01:01 PM
If your car is not tuned for (93) higher Octane, you're wasting your time and Money.

The 93 is cheaper.

TheMustangShow
06-21-2017, 01:33 PM
The 93 is cheaper.

Yeah...but don't you have to cross to get it?

The No-Ethanol in the SHELL 91 is a win, especially for older cars IMO.

Armen
06-21-2017, 01:38 PM
I'm a big fan of Shell 91. I used in in my Mustang and the Mustangs I had before it. I don't use stabilizer when I store my car and haven't for many years since using Shell 91. It contains no ethanol in Ontario so there is no worry about moisture absorption.

I also use it in my snow blower. I've had this current snow blower for a few seasons and have never used stabilizer. Just top it up with Shell 91 at the end of the season and that's it. Starts fine every fall/winter.

KRS
06-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Yeah...but don't you have to cross to get it?

The No-Ethanol in the SHELL 91 is a win, especially for older cars IMO.

We're usually in Michigan weekly, so it's just a matter of which vehicle we take.

I was more curious about the tuner feeling that Ontario fuel was superior to Michigan fuel even with the Octane difference. I usually run a bit of both, but I always run Ontario fuel prior to storage, I don't like storing with ethanol.

I agree 100% on an older vehicle or any power equipment, I won't use fuel with ethanol in it.

mavrrrick
06-21-2017, 01:59 PM
I find my car likes shell fuel as well...don't use it alot, i'm a cheap bastard...Costco premium
Also Canadian tire 93 has no ethanol .

Tailites
06-21-2017, 04:35 PM
if youre forced...then its an issue

N/A...dont worry about differences in fuel as long as the octane rating is there

you should be fine

NickD
06-21-2017, 06:23 PM
if youre forced...then its an issue

N/A...dont worry about differences in fuel as long as the octane rating is there

you should be fine
I datalogged with my tuner using different​ gas, he's usually a fan of some ethanol in gas but was really impressed with shell, he said any of the gas I used was higher quality​ then what they have in some states.
I am going to go fill up tonight for the first time after putting the blower on and think I'm going to try Petro 94 and datalog that vs shell

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Uncle Buck
06-21-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm not a fan of tuning with 93 or 94. Sure you might get a couple extra ponies but then you're married to the stuff and it's not always easy to find.

I tuned with 91 and fill up anywhere but use Shell 91 by choice.

NickD
06-22-2017, 12:17 AM
I'm not a fan of tuning with 93 or 94. Sure you might get a couple extra ponies but then you're married to the stuff and it's not always easy to find.

I tuned with 91 and fill up anywhere but use Shell 91 by choice.
Closest gas station to my house has 94 and it's pretty widely available, I will talk to him about a 91 tune but likely he will say just dont go WOT and it won't matter

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Uncle Buck
06-22-2017, 07:45 AM
dont go WOT

Who is this and what have you done with Nick?

ZR
06-22-2017, 08:03 AM
If your tuned for 94 and get stuck / can't find it, any old gas will do until you can fill with the good stuff (IMPERATIVE YOU KEEP IT OUT OF BOOST THOUGH). Many N/A peeps pay more money for high octane their engine does not want or need.

KRS
06-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Many N/A peeps pay more money for high octane their engine does not want or need.

I've tried for years to convince my dad that "premium" fuel does nothing for your engine unless it needs it, in his mind it's better because it's premium. Then a few years back I was chatting with a group of elderly men at a family function and they were talking about gas and how every few tanks they run premium to clean out the motor.....I didn't bother to attempt to explain!

allicedout
06-26-2017, 09:18 PM
I am going to go fill up tonight for the first time after putting the blower on and think I'm going to try Petro 94 and datalog that vs shell

Seems like I missed something...... Congrats on getting blown!

I use Ultra 94 by choice and was tuned with whatever came out of the Ultra 94 pump that day, car drives fine. I've heard that Ultra 94 is not a true 94 octane fuel..... Whatever that means. Regardless that's what I run, my tuner liked it and so did my car...... My wallet on the other hand isn't as happy......... but who listens to it anyways?!

True Blue
06-27-2017, 12:10 AM
So what is best to run in older vehicles, say like my stock 90 coupe. 87 with ethanol or 91 without ethanol?

ZR
06-27-2017, 07:42 AM
^ If it's stock with conservative timing, likely just fine on Reg. If you hear / detect deto, move up one grade n reevaluate.

True Blue
06-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Car runs perfectly fine on reg, my concern is how will the ethenol affect these older vehicles fuel system?

Rino
06-27-2017, 02:33 PM
The Petro Canada gas stations in my neck of the woods have 94 Octane,and that's what my tune is for.Not all Petro's carry it though.

Armen
06-27-2017, 02:48 PM
If you're parking the vehicle for longer periods of time, I'd stick with Shell 91.

---

With many newer cars, they can take regular or premium, no problem either way. But a bit more hp will be made using premium. Even my 2012 5.0L was like that. Stated right in the manual that 87 would get you 400, while 91 would get you 412.

KRS
06-29-2017, 09:27 AM
The Petro Canada gas stations in my neck of the woods have 94 Octane,and that's what my tune is for.Not all Petro's carry it though.

Just curious, do you know if the 94 contains ethanol?

allicedout
06-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Just curious, do you know if the 94 contains ethanol?

Quoted from the Petro Canada Website:

Does Ultra 94 contain ethanol? Does Petro-Canada still offer an ethanol-free gasoline?
Ultra 94 contains ethanol. Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.

98 Snake
06-29-2017, 12:13 PM
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

from the same site Ontario: Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Ultramar 91

mavrrrick
06-29-2017, 12:37 PM

I believe the 94 has ethanol though.... wouldn't use when you store for winter.

I was told by small engine shop that these are the best for small engines....no ethanol...

1. Shell 91
2. Canadian Tire 91
3. (I believe) Esso 91

Has a jar of gas that has been sitting for a long period of time and you can see the seperation of the ethanol and gas. Kind of looked like a jelly.

2DXTRM
06-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Quoted from the Petro Canada Website:

Does Ultra 94 contain ethanol? Does Petro-Canada still offer an ethanol-free gasoline?
Ultra 94 contains ethanol. Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.

Ive also heard and read, that Petro stations that dont sell 94, their 91 is Ethanol free.

Monera3v
06-29-2017, 07:35 PM
91 shell for non boosted
94 Petro for boosted.

I monitor my Knock sensors... 93 produces some knock response while data logging.

If you're not turned 89 just to be cleaner than 87, 91 would burn faster in a 87 tuned car.

If i re-call properly, correct me if I am wrong.