PDA

View Full Version : World Record Shot

RedSN
06-24-2017, 12:23 PM
3.5km

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/national/helluva+shot+canada+soldier+lauds+record+breaking+ sniper/13498263/story.html

The Canadian sniper team which killed an ISIL fighter at a record distance saved lives by stopping an enemy attack in its tracks, Canada’s top general, Jonathan Vance, said Friday in an interview.

“The guys were sitting back and overwatching a difficult operation and saw that the Iraqis were going to get ambushed. They were about to get hit hard,” Vance told the National Post. “That shot, coming from more than three-and-a-half kilometres away so surprised the ambush that (ISIL) had no idea where it came from. It collapsed their ability to carry out the ambush. If that shot had not occurred, the Iraqis would have been badly mauled.”
"The innovation by those two and CANSOF as a whole to prototype, spiral, learn and build the equipment to the math and geometry of a shot like that, a lot of science, technology, training and discipline went into that moment. The culture of excellence is ultimately what leads to this act.”

I can't even imagine the training, discipline, and skill required to lob a projectile on target that far.

...and then Mulclair has to have his say :mad:

NDP leader Tom Mulcair has written to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, saying that the sniper team’s actions raised new questions about the Liberal government’s pledge that troops from Canada’s secretive Joint Task Force 2 would not become involved in combat in Iraq.
You can't just congratulate our top soldiers for a job well done?

tulowd
06-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Congratulations to JTF2 and their world class combat skills. Canadian fighter pilots and other branches of our armed forces are also considered among the elite in the world, despite our relatively small budget and low total force size.

Not that this will make anyone on the wrong side take heed, but it goes to show it's not all about technology and drones but in the field, human warrior skills reign supreme.

Mulcair is an ass, but he is right to ask for the details, since it has always been political poison ivy to send our troops into harms way.

Ponyryd
06-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Great that the sniper and his team were able to pull it off. But IMO not great to have Canada in the news pulling that off at a time of such senseless mass killings around the world by ISIS.

RedSN
06-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Maybe our resident sniper can shed some light on it, but 3.5km has got to take what? 6 seconds +/- to get to the target?
Damn! Even ISIS has got to be like "ok, you got us there, nicely done, touché"

5.4MarkVIII
06-24-2017, 07:17 PM
One news artical I read said it was aproximatly 10 seconds and the Isis guys had no idea wtf was happening

83 5.0
06-24-2017, 08:14 PM
I was reading the comments section in the Globe and Mail Friday, and all the Birkenstock crowd were all writing in about how this was a black eye to Canada, and the Globe should be ashamed of how they presented it, and it was human life taken, blah blah blah.
I wonder how many lives possibly this one shot saved, given the target was probably holed up in a sniper position somewhere.
Makes me want to watch American Sniper all over again.

5.4MarkVIII
06-24-2017, 10:27 PM
I was reading the comments section in the Globe and Mail Friday, and all the Birkenstock crowd were all writing in about how this was a black eye to Canada, and the Globe should be ashamed of how they presented it, and it was human life taken, blah blah blah.
I wonder how many lives possibly this one shot saved, given the target was probably holed up in a sniper position somewhere.
Makes me want to watch American Sniper all over again.

Very similar to an artical I saw about a young girl who was " coming out" in front of her church when they cut her off and asked her to sit down.

In the comments it was a lot of ppl condemning the church but the same ppl who see no issues with Islam where they would not have just turned off thisngirls mic but actually killed her for it

Harbinger
06-25-2017, 05:59 PM
All I can imagine is that .50 caliber shot no longer spinning but wobbling and ripping the terrorist to shreds lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

92redragtop
06-25-2017, 06:13 PM
One news artical I read said it was aproximatly 10 seconds and the Isis guys had no idea wtf was happening

That's what I read - amazing.

92redragtop
06-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Very similar to an artical I saw about a young girl who was " coming out" in front of her church when they cut her off and asked her to sit down.

In the comments it was a lot of ppl condemning the church but the same ppl who see no issues with Islam where they would not have just turned off thisngirls mic but actually killed her for it

If Mike Pence would approve.

Intmdtr
06-26-2017, 07:37 PM
For the record, shorter shots then this have been attempted by myself but with not much success. Not that I wish to take anything away from my Sniper brotherhood, but in order for that shot to even have occurred, serious upgrades to the Tac .50 would have had to occur, to include upgraded "hot" ammo, taller rails installed below the scope in order to achieve enough runout on the optics and several other factors.....again, don't want to take anything away from the team that made the shot. 10 seconds + of flight time and the fact the projectile is no longer flying in the direction it was intended too...and I think I read only 8 MOA of windage applied, which at 3.5km's away is a quite a few feet off target that the bullet will curve into its objective.....I will look forward to factual details to be sent my way so that I can attempt to replicate it as well.

Harbinger
06-26-2017, 08:51 PM
For the record, shorter shots then this have been attempted by myself but with not much success. Not that I wish to take anything away from my Sniper brotherhood, but in order for that shot to even have occurred, serious upgrades to the Tac .50 would have had to occur, to include upgraded "hot" ammo, taller rails installed below the scope in order to achieve enough runout on the optics and several other factors.....again, don't want to take anything away from the team that made the shot. 10 seconds + of flight time and the fact the projectile is no longer flying in the direction it was intended too...and I think I read only 8 MOA of windage applied, which at 3.5km's away is a quite a few feet off target that the bullet will curve into its objective.....I will look forward to factual details to be sent my way so that I can attempt to replicate it as well.
I would love to see what was left of the terrorist

Intmdtr
06-26-2017, 11:26 PM
I would love to see what was left of the terrorist

Without going into great detail....they don't feel it and won't take another breath after the bullet strikes.

Harbinger
06-27-2017, 12:28 AM
https://youtu.be/pP_KSgmNqRM

Intmdtr
06-27-2017, 01:27 PM
https://youtu.be/pP_KSgmNqRM

Just not quite the same thing....lol

Ray721
06-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Just not quite the same thing....lol

You mean mountain goats and goat humpers aren't the same? [emoji1]