PDA

View Full Version : Suspension upgrade question and install shop in the GTA

m2m
07-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Hello.

I am getting some new dampeners installed Koni single adj. on my 2000 GT I have Steeda lowering springs and was wondering if I would need the X2 Ball joints or can I use stock?(one needs to be replaced)

I read that if the car is lowered by 2in or more X2's would be required.

This is for a car is mostly used for track days.

Also could anyone recommend a shop that could do an install and alignment?

Any recommendations on track day alignment settings?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Marcus

ZR
07-12-2017, 01:58 PM
How low is the car? (picture maybe).
Keep in mind, super low does not always translate into increased handling, it also means bump steer becomes more of an issue and should be addressed.
Alignment, hands down CanAlignment, worth the time it will take to get in there, especially for a track car.
If you have not already purchased the Koni's would make a suggest to go with either Dbl Adj Koni's(only available in Fox version but will work) or move over to Bilsteins.

Laffs
07-12-2017, 03:02 PM
I always thought Steeda springs were a mild drop? But ya anything around 2' drop or more you will need to adjust the geometry just to get everything to function semi properly. I have offset rack bushings, X2 BJs, and a bumpsteer kit just to address the geometry issues posed by my 2.5" drop.

If the car is strictly gear for the track, I'd consider giving the folks at maximum motorsports a call and having them develop a system for you, off the shelf mix and match of springs and shocks is OK for street use but a far cry from ideal for the track.

RedSN
07-12-2017, 03:37 PM
If the car is mostly for track use (as stated) I would forgo the lowering springs and proceed straight to coil-overs. (which is what the call to MM would likely suggest).

In order, the best handling upgrades I have done to my car are:

Cobra brakes
torque arm
coil overs

Ghost Rider
07-12-2017, 04:58 PM
If the car is mostly for track use (as stated) I would forgo the lowering springs and proceed straight to coil-overs. (which is what the call to MM would likely suggest).

In order, the best handling upgrades I have done to my car are:

Cobra brakes
torque arm
coil overs

SFC's?

tulowd
07-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Marcus, welcome to the board.

Caster camber plates will allow a wider range of adjustment than the stock upper onion mounts.
For track use (and depending what tires you run) more aggressive camber (-2 to -3*), max possible caster and a little bit of toe out are the norm.
Caster over 5 * usually calls for bumpsteer setup.

Obviously without knowing what else is already on your car, there will be several hundred permutations of correct answers. Dampers need to match the spring rates in order to be able to control them properly.

Real brakes and hi temp pads are the most important thing if you are going to run at TMP/Cayuga, Mosport DDT or Shannonville.

Lots of good advice below, spend some time surfing and reading MM's website tech tips and install instructions. These guys are the real deal and spend more time at the track in a year than most people do in a lifetime.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/FAQs-Tech-Tips-C588.aspx

Alignment recommendations on pg 8: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/assets/install/pdf/front_susp/MMCC7989r6.pdf

Different tires have a different camber sweet spot, I would spend some time googling track forums or ask the question about your particular brand of track tires.

RedSN
07-13-2017, 10:07 AM
SFC's?
They make a great mounting point for the TA, and the seat braces are really nice. Definitely a cheap upgrade and worth it, not to say it's not one of the first things I would do, but I wouldn't place it in my list of best upgrades because I limited it to 3 :D

I also didn't include tires in my list, because that's a given, and not really a mod.

m2m
08-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Hi Folks.

Thanks for all the info. I ended up hanging out with Scott Murfin at Can-alignment and he worked with me on getting the car set up and working.

The reason I asked about the X2 ball joints was I had the car at another shop for a safety(car is from BC had it stored there for the last 5 years) and the shop sent me a list five miles long in repairs. Little did they know it was just inspected a few weeks back at Brown Brothers Perf Mustang shop in Vancouver and was more than road worthy. I drove it back and wanted to make sure everything was working for the 5000K trip.