PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on lawn care services

83 5.0
07-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Well my grass is green but mostly from creepy weed, clover and dandelions. Have been trying to tame the weeds myself for the past couple of years but Scotts weed and feed just isn't doing anything but feeding the weeds.
Would like to know how successful companies like Dr. Green and Weedman are with your lawns, do they have any magic bullets now.
I use to use them but when the pesticide(herbicide?) ban came in I found they weren't very effective, and about 10 years ago tore up my lawn and resodded. Pretty well back to this point again.

Grebnitty
07-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Killex 24d is the only thing that works. Manitoba sells it, and you can probably have it shipped. Just don't let anyone know you are using it.

True Blue
07-15-2017, 02:32 PM
If you know where to look, you can get the weed killer from the States through Amazon.

IanGTCS
07-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Lots of hardware stores still sell things like killex (kills broadleaf weeds) and roundup (kills everything) but they aren't for "cosmetic" use. Some places will gladly sell it to you for all that "Poison ivy" you've got growing at the back of your yard. Also check out kijiji, you can find PAR 3 from time to time and it is what my sod farming friend uses.

Also, you can pick up the good stuff in the states at the usual places, and apparently customs doesn't care as it is a province by province thing, not a federal thing. Of course your mileage may vary, and the agent you get might care very much. So if you go that route and have issues you were warned.

83 5.0
07-15-2017, 08:11 PM
I have access to round up etc., but having a social justice warrior (SJW) daughter, I am looking at the greener side of things. Was hoping that some improvements had been made on the lawn service side.

newbiestangowner
07-15-2017, 11:27 PM
we are paying a company to come by - fertilizer, weed control, and aeration package. 3 rd summer now. Wife is going to cancel; its not working for us.

01CobraVert
07-16-2017, 06:07 AM
what's not working
lawn not in better shape?

newbiestangowner
07-16-2017, 09:57 AM
what's not working
lawn not in better shape?

ya its not improved any- didn't get worse so she feels she paid to maintain its current state lol !
weeds are still the same- they don't use a wet weed control , I see some granular stuff on the driveway
I think the package she got run around 300 or less a season and they do come around ( I see them) but next season I will give it a try, hopefully we still have grass ( more like weeds) after

Darkhorse
07-30-2017, 01:40 PM
I'm happy with weedman for price and result.

83 5.0
07-30-2017, 07:18 PM
I'm happy with weedman for price and result.

Are they able to get rid of the weeds, as I seem to be finding that if they start with a sort of weed free lawn it doesn't get worse, but if you have alot of weeds it doesn't work.

cf105arrow
07-30-2017, 08:10 PM
I tried crowding out the weeds by dumping tons of grass seedon my lawn in the spring. For about 4 weeks once a week I would cover the lawn. I definitely noticed a big improvement. I still have clover in spots but dandelions are few and far between and my lawn used to be covered in them.