PDA

View Full Version : Headlight upgrade question.

m2m
08-01-2017, 11:16 AM
HI.

Has anyone upgraded the front light system? Driving at night in parts of Toronto I can't tell if the lights are on or off? I know crazy. The lenses are in ok shape for a 18 year old car. Not sure what bulbs.

My question is:

Should I upgrade the bulbs?
Should I upgrade to a HID?
Should I upgrade to a projector? is that HID or something total different?

I just want good light for driving at night.

Thanks for reading.......

MM

Stephen06GT
08-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Are the lights noticeably dim when looking at them or is it more of a perception thing? If noticeably dim then I would suggest looking at the charging sytem to see if it is up to snuff. Personally I'm not a fan of retro fitted lights so I would try and find a new set of oem housings and then get some quality bulbs. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Laffs
08-01-2017, 01:12 PM
HID is a High Intensity Bulb, uses an igniter/ballast. Projector is a bulb housing type to focus the light output. You need both if you want to really increase visibility and not just toss a lot of light around and get flashed by every oncoming motorist.

I haven't had stocks in my 2000 GT for a number of years. I recall them being, um, "Adequate" before any changes made but nothing exceptionally bad. As mentioned above, ensure the factory harness and lights are all in working order before dropping $$$ on aftermarket stuff. Check with a voltmeter the out put at the connectors, swap to new bulbs (start with ctire generic to keep costs down) to verify its not a simple bad filament, and then decide a course of action.

If you have tinted lens, throw them away for stock replacements or prepare to spend some money on a projector HID retrofit. Note I am referring to lens and not housings. High quality bulbs will make an improvement over basic parts store off the shelf , would be my first port of call after ensuring the system is in working order and nothing is obscuring the output. If you find the output still lacking, you will need to retrofit an aftermarker HID compatible projector in to your housings, then install corresponding HID ballasts and wiring. You can pay a retrofit company to build a setup for you but this could easily approach $800+ . Buying parts and doing yourself is an option if you aren't squeamish but it's not a bolt on affair with respect to pulling apart housings, cutting and modifying for the project, and putting the whole thing together.

m2m
08-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Great, I have the stock housing no tint.

Can I use a volt meter on it to test?

All the lights work, hi-beams are more noticeable.

Maybe I need glasses........ HA

Harbinger
08-01-2017, 09:06 PM
I would do research before doing s retrofit. If you screw up it'll cost you money (ask me how I know lol) but if you do it right you'll have badass projectors that throw light properly and don't blind people

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk