PDA

View Full Version : Plumber / hot water heater reco for Newmarket/Aurora area

Not4you
08-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Looks like my hot water heater may be on its way out. Cold water is clear, but hot water is yellow stained. I am assuming it is a problem with the heater. Can anyone recommend someone that can help in the Newmarket / Aurora area?

Scott
08-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Assuming your water is still hot, just a question, have you ever drained your tank from the bottom and flushed it? Not that I have done it but I think that you are supposed to do it every few years.

BornToRun
08-09-2017, 02:49 AM
Newmarket has really high iron content in the water.Take a look in the toilet tank,bet ya its a brown yellowish colour.When you heat water it causes the the iron,lime calcium etc to separate from the water.
Ask your neighbors what they do to combat it.

Quicksilver
08-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Newmarket has really high iron content in the water.Take a look in the toilet tank,bet ya its a brown yellowish colour.When you heat water it causes the the iron,lime calcium etc to separate from the water.
Ask your neighbors what they do to combat it.
We live in Newmarket and we have that problem. A water softener helps, as well as twin sediment filters, but doesn't completely stop it.
We us a guy named Mark (he replaced our water heater last year for a VERY good price. 416-688-1538. He's an HVAC guy. Our plumber is Wade and his # is 647-883-8277. HE has lots of experience with Newmarket water

RAT ATK
08-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Hook up a hose to hot water tank and run the water in to your floor drain till it runs clear. Get a water softener.

Not4you
08-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys. Toilets are all clear, no staining in the sinks or tubs. I have flushed it into the drain a couple of times. It seems to drain pretty clear. It is still coming up yellowish for hot water only. We have a softener and we keep the salt filled regularly. We also have a filtration system as well. I'll drain/flush it a couple more times and see if that helps.

Also, this is a fairly new thing, it has just started happening over the last couple of weeks. We have been in the house going on 10 years now. This is the first sign of any issue.

BornToRun
08-11-2017, 03:51 AM
Thanks guys. Toilets are all clear, no staining in the sinks or tubs. I have flushed it into the drain a couple of times. It seems to drain pretty clear. It is still coming up yellowish for hot water only. We have a softener and we keep the salt filled regularly. We also have a filtration system as well. I'll drain/flush it a couple more times and see if that helps.

Also, this is a fairly new thing, it has just started happening over the last couple of weeks. We have been in the house going on 10 years now. This is the first sign of any issue.

How old is the house?
It maybe the galvanized nipples (if there are any on top of the HWT). Or somewhere in the piping going into or out of the tank. Maybe the glass lining inside the HWT is worn away.
Does discoloured water occur at all faucets or just the washing machine?

Not4you
08-12-2017, 02:36 PM
House is about 10 or 11 years old. Discoloured water is most noticeable at the bath tubs, sinks. Only with hot water, so toilets are clear. Kitchen sink less noticeable but we have extra filtering there. Havent really checked the washing machine or dishwasher.

BornToRun
08-13-2017, 03:07 AM
House is about 10 or 11 years old. Discoloured water is most noticeable at the bath tubs, sinks. Only with hot water, so toilets are clear. Kitchen sink less noticeable but we have extra filtering there. Havent really checked the washing machine or dishwasher.

Is the HWT gas or electric?
If gas Odds are its the HWT,they only last 8-12 years anyway & you are at the end of its useful life.Dont install a mixing valve with the new tank.
If electric you may have a broken element causing discolouration in water,but then you would notice shortage of hot water!

Screw
08-13-2017, 04:16 PM
New tank