PDA

View Full Version : It's time for full automatic car lighting...

Stephen06GT
08-18-2017, 07:33 AM
The number of cars driving through the pea soup fog around Bolton without their full lighting system on was to big to count. On top of that, I did count six cars without their front lights on. If people are that dumb I think it's time for auto makers to start making cars that turn on the full lighting system as soon as you start the vehicle.

Rant over.

ZR
08-18-2017, 07:40 AM
AUTO DIMMING HEADLIGHTS.

Here in Scarberia, ever growing number of don't have a clue drivers with high beams on. Just as annoying, those running either ridiculous bulbs in stock lights or some home brewed $29 Ebay lighting system.

RedSN
08-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Can we also make fog lights only come on when there is 100% humidity?

Uncle Buck
08-18-2017, 08:09 AM
My daughters 1999 Vitra has auto lights so clearly it can't cost much.

ZR
08-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Can we also make fog lights only come on when there is 100% humidity?

Nope.

Scrape
08-18-2017, 08:33 AM
I so agree with you guys. So damn annoying seeing shit like this everyday. I see a ton of Civic's and Toyota's (Lexus) with them either off or with highbeams only.

TheMustangShow
08-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Full Lighting would be a total FAIL, unless it is sensor based.
All cars running around on a sunny day with the lights on would be retarded. Further, all Car lighting systems on all the time, would
consume more energy, so Al Gore and his Lemmings would lobby hard to Veto that plan.

Cars with lights on 24/7 would also negate the small visibly advantage trying to be obtained for Motorcycles, that currently have their lighting systems on at all time.

What is really needed, is a comprehensive Driver Education and Licensing overhaul that actually demands operators know how to operate a vehicle and know
the rules of the road, prior to getting a License.

92redragtop
08-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Full Lighting would be a total FAIL, unless it is sensor based.
All cars running around on a sunny day with the lights on would be retarded. Further, all Car lighting systems on all the time, would
consume more energy, so Al Gore and his Lemmings would lobby hard to Veto that plan.

Cars with lights on 24/7 would also negate the small visibly advantage trying to be obtained for Motorcycles, that currently have their lighting systems on at all time.

What is really needed, is a comprehensive Driver Education and Licensing overhaul that actually demands operators know how to operate a vehicle and know
the rules of the road, prior to getting a License.

Not sure why you would think that - besides, turning on your lights while you drive your car burns more fuel? I can drive without my headlights on and save gas/money...interesting.

Volvo's has front/rear DRLs with sensors to turn full on (front/rear) when it gets dark outside (or when I go into an underground parking lot) - from the number of cars I see driving at night in the city, 400 series highways on my daily commute, I would say this full front/rear DRL system is clearly superior from a safety perspective. Even my 1997 850 sedan had front/rear DRLs. had I think the other Euro manufacturers may be doing this in the EU as well but it's not required in the US (where some states don't even have DRL), and clearly not in Canada as yet.

TheMustangShow
08-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Not sure why you would think that - besides, turning on your lights while you drive your car burns more fuel? I can drive without my headlights on and save gas/money...interesting.

Volvo's has front/rear DRLs with sensors to turn full on (front/rear) when it gets dark outside (or when I go into an underground parking lot) - from the number of cars I see driving at night in the city, 400 series highways on my daily commute, I would say this full front/rear DRL system is clearly superior from a safety perspective. Even my 1997 850 sedan had front/rear DRLs. had I think the other Euro manufacturers may be doing this in the EU as well but it's not required in the US (where some states don't even have DRL), and clearly not in Canada as yet.

All cars with their lights on all the time would create more heat, very few cars have LED lighting systems currently.

As previously mentioned, would not have an issue with sensor based systems at night, but all car lights on during the day is stupid.

ZR
08-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Simple solution, DRL's for daytime auto sensing headlights for dusk n darker = done.

92redragtop
08-18-2017, 12:51 PM
What's stupid is all the cars driving at night with no rear lights on.

Screw
08-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Simple solution, DRL's for daytime auto sensing headlights for dusk n darker = done.

Very simple eh my 2000 Astro van had that & none of our Ravs a decade later have them :facepalm:
Ya seen many imports at night sans taillights & good luck getting their attn , they're too focused on the nice nav & cluster display ....

Ghost Rider
08-19-2017, 03:35 AM

This is because they DRL's are so bright now, people don't realize they are not running with their regular headlamps and most vehicles now have the dash lights on full time, not just when the headlamps are.

They do have sensor based systems...my truck has that, I never touch the lights, they just do their own thing...kinda neat, hopefully the sensors stay working properly lol

WTF
08-19-2017, 08:57 AM
our 2016 GTI has an auto setting....we just leave the switch in that spot

DRL headlights are always on...and when it starts to get dark all the lights come on automatically

it seems pretty idiot-proof

but I agree....if auto settings are not standard....then DRLs on both head and tails should be

5.4MarkVIII
08-19-2017, 11:47 AM
I actually think autosettings are part of the problem. At least on rainy foggy and snowy days.

People have the auto setting on but It's not dark enough to turn on the proper lights.

mavrrrick
08-19-2017, 12:08 PM
I manually turn my lights on every time I get in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZR
08-19-2017, 11:56 PM
I actually think autosettings are part of the problem. At least on rainy foggy and snowy days.

People have the auto setting on but It's not dark enough to turn on the proper lights.

Both my previous pair of GM pickups and current RAM with auto lights bring em on going under even a short bridge in the day time.

Harbinger
08-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Just have ppl without lights on get pulled over and fined gobs of money unless there is a legitimate reason ie sudden electrical failure

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk