PDA

View Full Version : Toxix's Track Day - 2017 Corvette Grand Sport

Toxix
08-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Just wanted to share some pictures and my experience with my 2017 Grand Sport at our local track here in Ontario.

This car continues to impress me. I've always loved driving and pushing my cars to the limit (or as far as my ability will let me).
Even with the Mustang I thoroughly enjoyed going to track days.
Personally, I've never been a fan of the drag strip; I found that just as things start to get fun, they come to an abrupt end. I found a lot more pleasure in lapping, racing against the clock and racing against yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/OpEefLS.jpg

My Mustang was a low, loud, mean machine on the track. The lack of the IRS really kept me on my toes when it came to cornering the car at 170km on turn one at Cayuga, Toronto Motorsports Park. Its an entry level track, low-mid technical that stretches approximately 3km. Much like most, I learned to take it slow around the track on my first few track days. The best I could do on a street tire (Pilot Super Sports) and stock brakes was 1:30 and up....whether I went fast or slow, I loved every moment of it. Didn't care much for racing on the streets, light to light, highway pulls in traffic, etc. I just didn't want to suffer the consequences of getting booked or importantly, hurting someone in the process.

When I took my Grand Sport to the track for the first time I took it easy. The car felt much more responsive. I went from what felt like a boat (Mustang) in handling to one of the best handling cars available to the public. The stopping power was far greater than my 4-piston Brembo equipped Mustang, stopping earlier allowed me to exit the corners at a higher rate of speed though it still didn't compare to the hard biting, car flipping, hard-stopping Z07 Ceramic Brake kits equipped at the Ron Fellows track. No regrets here though, the Z07 is far too much coin to maintain and keep up to us track enthusiasts.

I performed better and was averaging the same numbers 1:28/1:30. Improvement was improvement. I found myself struggling with traction control continually kicking in and limiting throttle quite a bit. Putting the Vette in Sport 1 (Driving mode track > Press down twice > Move over thrice to Sport 1). I felt like I was driving a different car now, it just kept pulling; I was able to corner a lot faster now without throttle being limited.

I was the first to arrive at the track and the last one to leave, two tanks of gas were consumed. Was there for the whole day and loved every minute of it. The car just kept going which is more than I could say about one of the Z06s at Ron Fellows after 2 laps. AC didn't shut off, no "Reduced Engine Power" messages popping up on the dash. I even managed to get away with 40 minute lapping sessions before I felt a bit of play on the brakes.

I best time I managed to run was a 1:23; Significant improvement but can still get better with practice. 1:18-1:20 would be the end game for me and then move on to a more technical/faster track (Mosport AKA Canadian Tire Motorsports Track)

Although I miss the volume of my Mustang I could never go back or even look back it after driving my 17' Grand Sport. There is just such a connection that feels above and beyond just tires between road and car. Responsive and nimble is the best way to describe this car.

Just thought I'd share. Now its time to lighten the wallet by getting some new tires and some Carbotech pads. The lapping event had a photographer onsite so I got her to hook me up with a couple of shots:

http://i.imgur.com/eAK8mfC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vyUxBFo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CDWgb1Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1QGirGq.jpg

fast Ed
08-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Great shots, glad to hear the car performs as expected. If you do take it on the big track at Mosport you'll definitely be able to stretch its legs and really enjoy what the car is capable of, but please be careful! That's a car that will build some serious speed all around that course, not just on the straights ... if it goes wrong, it could make for a very bad day.

cheers
Ed

RedSN
08-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Looks like a fun day at the track. Sounds like the Vette did well.

G-ForceJunkie
08-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Is that factory ride height?

allicedout
08-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I can't speak for everyone but I know I definitely bought my first Mustang because I couldn't find a Corvette in my price range. Your comparison between the Mustang and Corvette is what I thought it would be, comparing apples to oranges.... I'm glad to see you enjoying the new ride and appreciating it even more after owning a Mustang. I'm still waiting for you to upload some video footage with sound! Glad to see you enjoying the car!

Scrape
08-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Awesome stuff Elton.

Toxix
08-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Great shots, glad to hear the car performs as expected. If you do take it on the big track at Mosport you'll definitely be able to stretch its legs and really enjoy what the car is capable of, but please be careful! That's a car that will build some serious speed all around that course, not just on the straights ... if it goes wrong, it could make for a very bad day.

cheers
Ed

Thanks man, definitely want to move up the ranks in terms of technical and times.
Question for you, what is the best time you've run at TMP? I'm guessing 1:20 or much faster, yeah?

As for Mosport, I'll be doing the DDT with some instructors first, I'm taking your advice here and being extra careful for sure.

Looks like a fun day at the track. Sounds like the Vette did well.

It did, I feel like it could use an upgrade in brakes (specifically pads) but aside from that it was a great experience.

Is that factory ride height?

The vehicle is lowered using aftermarket lowering bolts, set at the lowest setting.

Thanks for sharing that. I can't speak for everyone but I know I definitely bought my first Mustang because I couldn't find a Corvette in my price range. Your comparison between the Mustang and Corvette is what I thought it would be, comparing apples to oranges.... I'm glad to see you enjoying the new ride and appreciating it even more after owning a Mustang. I'm still waiting for you to upload some video footage with sound! Glad to see you enjoying the car!

Oh yeah, I'll need to post that PDR (Performance Data Recorder) video up but you won't be able to hear much as its an in-car camera.

Sadly, still no where as loud as the Mustang.

Awesome stuff Elton.

Thanks man

Darkhorse
08-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Great looking car man.

Yes, mustangs and vettes are apples and oranges, both are awesome.

ZR
08-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Extremely nice ride.

fast Ed
08-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Thanks man, definitely want to move up the ranks in terms of technical and times.
Question for you, what is the best time you've run at TMP? I'm guessing 1:20 or much faster, yeah?

As for Mosport, I'll be doing the DDT with some instructors first, I'm taking your advice here and being extra careful for sure.

Actually no idea what the lap times were around TMP, unless someone in the club clocked it while I was out there. Typically at those days I'm just roosting around having fun. Unless I'm competing at an event or trying to measure the potential gain from a specific change to the car, I'm not too concerned with times especially on a course like that which is just going to beat up tires and brakes when you push harder.

If you're interested in taking in some proper school events at Mosport DDC with classroom and in-car coaching, check out www.driveteq.ca and www.hansoninternationaldriving.com ... I do stuff with both of those groups, they are well-run, safe and fun.

Scott
08-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Elton sounds like you had a blast! Car looks great!