PDA

View Full Version : Maybe at least one good use for self-driving vehicles! :-)

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
08-29-2017, 08:28 AM
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2017/08/29/Ford_Dominos_AVResearch_02.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1024.768.jpeg

Ford has partnered with Domino's Pizza and Roush Industries to test this self-driving Fusion as a delivery vehicle ... interesting read.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/08/29/dominos-ford-begin-research-pizza-delivery.html

5.4MarkVIII
08-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Need idea. But I see allot of people not being happy about having to get up to go out and grab their pizza.

Someone needs to develop some sort of pizza launching delivery thing.

WTF
08-29-2017, 02:50 PM
no thanks

I'll shop where the pie is tasty and the delivery dude knows my addy and knows I give a good tip for good service

ZR
08-29-2017, 04:51 PM
+1 on the above.

StAnger
08-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Anything that takes away jobs from humans is a bad idea. Aside from self driving cars being a horrible idea to begin with.

Scrape
08-30-2017, 08:10 AM
I agree. Millenials are going to kill it for us.
no thanks

I'll shop where the pie is tasty and the delivery dude knows my addy and knows I give a good tip for good service

Harbinger
08-31-2017, 07:55 AM
They pay delivery drivers very little. I always had discussions with them when they came to the building I was a concierge in. Often people don't even tip a single cent. The pay is below minimum wage from what the driver explained

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

StAnger
08-31-2017, 08:00 AM
you can't stop progress

Wanna bet? If enough people act, anything is possible. Just remember the internet is a physical thing, with enough like-minded people it can be destroyed. Self-driving cars are nothing if they can't communicate.

And to be 100% honest, we'd be much better off without the internet.

RedSN
08-31-2017, 08:38 AM
Wanna bet?
Yes. I will take that bet. How much?

fast Ed
08-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Wanna bet? If enough people act, anything is possible. Just remember the internet is a physical thing, with enough like-minded people it can be destroyed. Self-driving cars are nothing if they can't communicate.

And to be 100% honest, we'd be much better off without the internet.

You should come over to the K-W area and live with the old order Mennonites that cruise around on horse & buggy (and sometimes bicycles)! LOL

StAnger
08-31-2017, 09:12 AM
Yes. I will take that bet. How much?

It was a rhetorical statement.

StAnger
08-31-2017, 09:14 AM
If the item/service is more efficient/cheaper/better the market should decide. Voluntary exchange of money between buyer and seller is how free market capitalism improves society. No one is forced to either buy or sell for more or less than they each decide and agree to.

Putting regulation, taxation, disincentives in between drives up cost. If this were enacted to protect obsolete industries we'd still be horse and buggy. We'd also be surpassed by other societies/countries that choose not to hamstring themselves.

Now gimme a slice....

I'm aware of how free market capitalism works.

That said, my point about destroying the internet isn't just to protect "obsolete industries", but a general belief that the majority of the stupidity in today's world can be traced back to how efficiently and quickly information travels.

You should come over to the K-W area and live with the old order Mennonites that cruise around on horse & buggy (and sometimes bicycles)! LOL

I do live in the K-W area.... And I'm a Luddite by choice, not because of religious doctrine. lol

RedSN
08-31-2017, 09:33 AM
I do live in the K-W area.... And I'm a Luddite by choice... lol
huh. I had to look up the meaning.

Luddites could be considered the first victims of corporate downsizing. The Luddite movement began in the vicinity of Nottingham, England, toward the end of 1811 when textile mill workers rioted for the destruction of the new machinery that was slowly replacing them. Their name is of uncertain origin, but it may be connected to a (probably mythical) person known as Ned Ludd. According to an unsubstantiated account in George Pellew's Life of Lord Sidmouth (1847), Ned Ludd was a Leicestershire villager of the late 1700s who, in a fit of insane rage, rushed into a stocking weaver's house and destroyed his equipment. From then on, his name was proverbially connected with the destruction of machinery. With the onset of the information age, Luddite gained a broader sense describing anyone who shuns new technology.

Ironically, you're ON the internet right now. (waits for GR to tell me I'm using the word ironically incorectly ;) )

StAnger
08-31-2017, 11:45 AM
huh. I had to look up the meaning.

Ironically, you're ON the internet right now. (waits for GR to tell me I'm using the word ironically incorectly ;) )

The irony is not lost on me... But wait for me to blow your mind. I'm also an IT guy. An IT guy who thinks we'd be better off without the level of technology we have today. Who wudda thunk it?

Google, Facebook, Youtube, et al are censoring the most common forms of info exchange and censoring right wing conservative views. IMHO the result is rapid exchange of bad thinking/ideas

Again, something I am very much aware of.