PDA

View Full Version : Repaired VW diesels coming to the market soon.

ZR
09-04-2017, 08:11 AM
CHATTANOOGA — Volkswagen will give its dealers first rights to acquire hundreds of thousands of repaired diesel vehicles returned through their stores under recalls stemming from the company's diesel emissions scandal, brand leaders said here last week.
Hinrich Woebcken, head of the VW's North America region, said the company is awaiting approval from regulators allowing the earliest recalled VW turbodiesels to be resold to consumers. Regulators have approved the fix, but have not given the green light to return them to dealers to repair and resell.
When that approval comes, Woebcken said, VW will slowly release the vehicles, giving its 652 U.S. dealers a "right of first refusal" to buy the specific vehicles returned through their dealerships.
And VW dealers, he added, are excited to get the once-popular cars.
"There is, of course, a community of customers who would like to take a look at these cars, once they fulfill the regulations, and that's why we are pretty optimistic that we will have a successful remarketing of those cars," Woebcken said.
When regulators give the go-ahead to resell the cars, Woebcken said, VW will return the cars to market in a manner "to make sure that the residual values of those cars remain stable." He said the brand will "find a smart way to dose it in the right way through different channels into the market."
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/CA/20170904/OEM02/170909929/H2/0/H2-170909929.jpg&MaxW=450
VW has repurchased about 67 percent of the estimated 485,000 turbodiesel vehicles it sold in the U.S. between 2009 and 2014 that had illegally excessive emissions. Those cars are being stored in dozens of large parking lots across the U.S.
The vast majority of the parked cars are the earliest versions of what VW once called its ​ "clean diesels." These first-generation diesels, bought back from consumers, used an illegal software defeat device that allowed the cars to cheat on U.S. clean air standards in what became a global scandal for Volkswagen Group, costing the company tens of billions of dollars and sending two employees to prison so far.
Later VW diesels that were recalled have had their fixes approved by regulators and have returned to dealership lots. VW fixed and returned for sale about 8,000 of an estimated 70,000 Passats with the later engines.
Fixing the first-generation diesels requires significantly more work, however, which will be done at VW dealerships, a spokeswoman said.
Some VW diesels with high mileage will be scrapped, said Herbert Diess, global head of the VW brand.
"If the mileage is too high and the residual value is too low, it doesn't make sense anymore" to fix them, Diess said. "But the majority of the cars are going to be resold."
In March, VW pleaded guilty to three felony counts in U.S. District Court in Detroit as part of a settlement of the diesel scandal with the U.S. Justice Department. Asked if returning the cars to the roads might become an uncomfortable reminder of VW's past illegal actions, Diess said the scandal is now part of VW's checkered history.
"It was a very big scandal," Diess said. "It's something we have to live with."

StAnger
09-04-2017, 08:32 AM
There's already a bunch on the market here.

WTF
09-04-2017, 08:39 AM
good

hope VW gets this off their back and then put the R400 back on the radar for production so I can get one when we rack up more kms on the current GTI

a 3000lb 2dr hatch with AWD and 400hp out of turbo 4-banger seems like the perfect grocery getter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knkdpgZOKAQ

fast Ed
09-04-2017, 09:07 AM
That would be awesome if it ever makes it to production ... my buddy's current Golf R with 295ish hp and more weight I'm guessing is already a hoot to drive.

cheers
Ed

WTF
09-04-2017, 10:24 AM
That would be awesome if it ever makes it to production ... my buddy's current Golf R with 295ish hp and more weight I'm guessing is already a hoot to drive.

cheers
Ed

the wife's little 2dr GTI with 220hp is an awesome little go-kart....adding AWD and 180hp would make the thing an all-season weapon

the GTI is a little Jekyll/Hyde machine....normally just quiet and subtle....you can granny the thing around and haul shit, and it behaves like any ordinary little people mover.....but lay on the gas hard for even a few seconds and the thing just ripps like a fucking sling shot

adding that kinda power to the little thing would make it an absolute ton of fun

Hutch
09-04-2017, 10:54 AM
There's already a bunch on the market here.

2015's which where easy to fix/update

StAnger
09-04-2017, 02:01 PM
2015's which where easy to fix/update

I thought that's what Rick was talking about. My mistake.

That said, if I can get one for a decent price, I might just trade the Olds in.

01CobraVert
09-04-2017, 07:24 PM
in Canada
2015's are getting fixed
VW Fixed only approved in USA as of today
many folks hoping the gen 1 fix comes to Canada
many of the returns are wrecks, however many are very good
G

bluetoy
09-04-2017, 10:34 PM
Fix for 2012-14 passat is also available in canada.

StAnger
09-05-2017, 08:03 AM

I almost bought one in the winter, I kind of regret not doing it.

RedSN
09-05-2017, 01:34 PM
...if I can get one for a decent price, I might just trade the Olds in.
A fuel efficient, non-gas burning, euro piece of shit? And YOU would buy one?

When pigs fly.

StAnger
09-05-2017, 09:35 PM
A fuel efficient, non-gas burning, euro piece of shit? And YOU would buy one?

When pigs fly.

Still an internal combustion engine, pisses off Liberals, and would be an excellent chase vehicle.

01CobraVert
09-07-2017, 12:39 AM
can you please send info or link
because all info I have is generation 1s TDIs have no fix available
as part of class action suit you can choose fix, but there is no guarantee a fix will be delivered

bluetoy
09-07-2017, 08:39 PM
can you please send info or link
because all info I have is generation 1s TDIs have no fix available
as part of class action suit you can choose fix, but there is no guarantee a fix will be delivered

2012-14 passats are gen2

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20170524/canada-approves-tdi-emissions-fix-for-automatic-gen-2-volkswagen-diesels/

01CobraVert
09-08-2017, 12:25 AM
heard can gen 1 fix approved in last couple of days