PDA

View Full Version : Rust Proofing.

ZR
09-06-2017, 11:21 AM
In the past I used Rust Check with poorish results. Switched over to Krown on my last two trucks, huge rust on my '03 due to what I feel was improper application. Found someone that applied much better when I got the '11 but did have several issues related to the product itself. First, all door rubbers on both my truck and Kath's car are 110% screwed. Previous store operator said no problem they'd look after it but he's gone and Krown told me to buzz off. Second, on the truck, caused an issue where the plastic fuel pump module would become conductive across the top causing intermittent poor running and the gas gauge going berserk. Replaced the module plus sender after being assured by Krown it was a total fluke only to have it happen a second time. Third, truck saw little to no gravel roads but did have paint peeling on the fender lips and some rust starting. While it's a filthy mess much of the summer I'm anal about washing in the winter. Hard to say if it's a GM paint issue or Krown but rust is for sure on their heads.
Fast forward to my new ride, considering Corrosion Free, does anyone have long term experience with it?

1986stangfan
09-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Hey Rick, no experience with corrosion free but I have had great success with Bob oil rustproofing in bowman like. I also used to work in a transmission shop and literally saw hundreds of cars done by bobs and I could always tell which ones they were. I have no affiliation with them at all. Only good results

RioCobra
09-06-2017, 11:56 AM
I too am interested in what is said here as I was going to bring the new DD to your Krown guy.
Just did a quick Google search on "Corrosion Free vs Krown", and the first hit was a write up on local Subaru forum.
Just reading the posts now, but doesn't look like a good alternative either.

True Blue
09-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Corrosion Free is a great product much cleaner, doesn't drip and doesn't need to be sprayed yearly, unlike Krown. The problem is there's not many "good" dealers who spray CF, most of them are Crappy Tire shops which we all know is a big no-no! The only shop that does a some what good job is Robinson Automotive in Mississauga and there's another shop some car clubs use is D and J automotive in Woodbridge which them too are a hit and miss in their work.

I never had my vehicles sprayed with CF, I'm going off what others have said.

What I've been doing myself and had great results over the years is spray the undercarriage, engine bay, wheel wells with Fluid Flim. After the first year application all I do is yearly touch ups to the areas that wore off ie: like the wheel wells. Bonus Fluid Film can be purchased in larger containers and can be applied with a paint gun as well.

Old Fart
09-06-2017, 01:02 PM
What about Ziebart?

ZR
09-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Yes Robinson Automotive in Mississauga comes up as the most reliable shop to have it applied.

ZR
09-06-2017, 01:03 PM
What about Ziebart?

Old skool tar applications like Ziebart look good but in essence just trap salt / water above them.

03svt
09-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Yes Robinson Automotive in Mississauga comes up as the most reliable shop to have it applied.

Robinson sprayed my 13f150 and my father in laws Buick Enclave, only had my 13 f150 for a couple years so I can't say how the truck is holding up, but the Buick still nice and clean and no issues with the rubber or anything you mentioned.

allicedout
09-06-2017, 02:14 PM
I was thinking of getting the truck undercoated to protect the frame and suspension, the bodies some type of aluminum alloy so lets see how long it holds up. Sub'd in to hear the results.

2005BlackGT
09-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Like everything it's not necessarily the product. . it's the person or people doing the Application.

Ponyryd
09-06-2017, 06:16 PM
I had my doors and under hood done with the "dealer rustproofing", you know, the yellowish paint-like grease stuff......personal,y I'm gonna spray some fluid film in the doors and spray the underside myself with a oil/trans/steering fluid kinda mix. Did my Wrangler with it last year and it's still there, although it doesn't see winter use, lol.

Poor results with Krown, and really it's a lot of money at the end of the day. I'd think the thing to do imo is touchless car wash with underspray at least once a week in the winter. Probably cheaper than Krown, plus the car is clean.

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 12:21 AM
I'm heading over to corrosion free in etobicoke. Heard good things about it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 12:31 AM
Krown is becoming cost prohibitive. 120 plus tax. I also heard good things about fluid film. Next time ill be doing my own rust prevention as I have access to a air compressor. You can potentially save alot in the long run doing it yourself.

1986stangfan
09-07-2017, 12:51 AM
Krown is becoming cost prohibitive. 120 plus tax. I also heard good things about fluid film. Next time ill be doing my own rust prevention as I have access to a air compressor. You can potentially save alot in the long run doing it yourself.

My dad used fluid film on his Chrysler 300. It distorted his weather stripping in his doors pretty badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZR
09-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Cost prohibitive vs added resale valve n keeping your ride pristine, not even closer brother. In fact, always surprised cost has gone up so little over the years.

03svt
09-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Cost prohibitive vs added resale valve n keeping your ride pristine, not even closer brother. In fact, always surprised cost has gone up so little over the years.

Iirc corrosion free was around 180$ 4yrs ago

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 07:42 AM
Iirc corrosion free was around 180$ 4yrs agoAnd now its 110 for the full package.

ZR
09-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Still seems like a bargain compared to what it costs for a new vehicle. Gets even cheaper when you see how badly unprotected vehicles rust and what it costs to repair the brake n fuel lines plus the body itself.

True Blue
09-07-2017, 07:50 AM
I'm heading over to corrosion free in etobicoke. Heard good things about it.

Name of shop and address?

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Name of shop and address?Popular Carwash and Detailing

Rust Proofing Corrosion Free Zone - Etobicoke, Building C, 131 The West Mall, Etobicoke, ON M9C 1C2

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 07:54 AM
I'll be taking my Camry there to be the test subject.

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Still seems like a bargain compared to what it costs for a new vehicle. Gets even cheaper when you see how badly unprotected vehicles rust and what it costs to repair the brake n fuel lines plus the body itself.110 is fair. However since air tools are accessible the next few times and beyond I'll be doing it myself. With the times I go ( every year ) I could have bought my own equipment and saved in the long run.

bullittman
09-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Like others have said it's who applies the product. I have been using Krown in Richmond Hill on Centre st just north of Major mackenzie for 20 yrs. 2004 Explorer owned for 12 yrs not a speck of rust, My bullitt is stored now but the first few years winter driven zero rust. Very happy with the shop

ZR
09-07-2017, 09:37 AM
I think Krown generally did a decent job preventing rust, collateral damage amounts to a big chunk of change though.

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Guy seems to be quite through. I've been sitting here for a half hour https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/7d287f01aafe7cc68687cf5072ede44a.jpg

ZR
09-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Just spoke with him, he's on break. :)

Scrape
09-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Group spray on this? I have two cars alone need to be done.

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Just got home. 124 bucks after taxes. The corrosion free stuff will not make rubber sag. Fluid film will and krown will. Fluid film even says to wipe overspray from rubber

No holes drilled needed. They have special tools that go under the trim / into existing cavities. He explained that the odd car has rust forming around drilled holes.

He also commented on how ridiculously clean my Camry was. He's seen cars 2 to 3 years old with horrible rust.

ZR
09-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Group spray on this? I have two cars alone need to be done.

In.

True Blue
09-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Just got home. 124 bucks after taxes. The corrosion free stuff will not make rubber sag. Fluid film will and krown will. Fluid film even says to wipe overspray from rubber

I don't know... Back in the day when I had my Dakota I sprayed it with Fluid Film every year for a span of 9-10 years before selling it. I never had any issues with swollen or sagging rubber seals, gaskets or weather stripping.

Harbinger
09-07-2017, 01:06 PM
I don't know... Back in the day when I had my Dakota I sprayed it with Fluid Film every year for a span of 9-10 years before selling it. I never had any issues with swollen or sagging rubber seals, gaskets or weather stripping.Good to know. Back of fluid film bottle https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/69d07ebe26b4e75c5efc41ea2602e3e8.jpg

cf105arrow
09-07-2017, 04:06 PM
I had my doors and under hood done with the "dealer rustproofing", you know, the yellowish paint-like grease stuff......personal,y I'm gonna spray some fluid film in the doors and spray the underside myself with a oil/trans/steering fluid kinda mix. Did my Wrangler with it last year and it's still there, although it doesn't see winter use, lol.

Poor results with Krown, and really it's a lot of money at the end of the day. I'd think the thing to do imo is touchless car wash with underspray at least once a week in the winter. Probably cheaper than Krown, plus the car is clean.

I rarely to never wash the car in the winter. All that salt that is on the car turns into a solution and finds its way deeper into those cracks and crevices where rust does its thing. I Krown every year in Bolton with no resulting rust or sags in seals. That's my 2 coppers.

Ponyryd
09-07-2017, 06:21 PM
I rarely to never wash the car in the winter. All that salt that is on the car turns into a solution and finds its way deeper into those cracks and crevices where rust does its thing. I Krown every year in Bolton with no resulting rust or sags in seals. That's my 2 coppers.

Just going by what I see in the repair trade, cars that are kept clean and undersprayed don't rust near as badly as those that are neglected and left to have the salt soak in and cause rust. I remember one customer I had who had a 2002 Grand Prix (you know, the cars that never have rockersi left)......well his were mint, could even lift the car by them, car was washed often, always the good auto wash with the underspray.

Stephen06GT
09-07-2017, 06:35 PM
When I was daily driving Ol Paint, I had it Krowned every year and I washed it on average three times a week during the winter months (I had one of those Petro Canada car wash cards). It has held up pretty well if you ask me.

Intmdtr
09-07-2017, 08:45 PM
I will need to find a decent place around here to have mine under coated. Good thing is at work it gets pulled into the bay for 12hrs a day and gets hosed down religiously in the winter months.

1986stangfan
09-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Are you sure it was the fluid film? I've personally used it on over 20 vehicles that I have rustproofed for people and never had a problem?

1000% Sure it was fluid film.

Harbinger
09-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Had my mach 1 rust proofed today by Corrosion Free shop in Etobicoke. Excellent customer service. They gave me 10 dollar discount off my mustang and a friend's car for bringing in multiple vehicles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Scrape
09-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Corrosion Free in Etobicoke or Krown in Richmond Hill?

2 cars and a truck so far. Who else?
In.

Intmdtr
09-13-2017, 09:19 AM
That's a bit of a jaunt for me. Going to check out Krown in Collingwood later this week

hsousa88
09-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Been pretty happy with Krown so far.. we'll see how the door rubbers hold up.

I spray mine every October and that shit is still pouring out come spring/summer. It must be doin the job.

95GT_VERT
09-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Any petroleum based product aloud to sit against the rubbers will swell and sag ..... keep the bottom of the doors very clean and you reduce the chance of having rubber issues . Silicone helps but is only temporary

Harbinger
09-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Didn't see any petroleum ingredients in the corrosion free info

Harbinger
09-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Buddies car in for corrosion free. Service is great.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/c9ed2373493c6b0c7aae282a8614c5c7.jpg

ZR
11-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Corrosion Free in Etobicoke or Krown in Richmond Hill?

2 cars and a truck so far. Who else?

Did you get anywhere with that Laurence?

Quicksilver
11-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Just had my wife's 16 Fusion done at Krown here in Newmarket. I haven't bothered with the Mustang as it's not winter driven and I won't keep it more than 3 years anyway.
While at Krown they saw my brand spanking new F-250 and told me I should get it done. I retorted that it's got an aluminum body and won't rust. They suggested the frame should get done anyway. We'll be keeping this truck for a long time. Any thoughts on this?

Intmdtr
11-21-2017, 10:38 AM
One thing to remember, certain metals don't react well to one another, so aluminum body, steel frame....I would get the frame and underbelly components done at the very least

ZR
11-21-2017, 11:07 AM
When deciding to have an alum body protected or not, quick flash back to the corroding '05 up hoods that hardly ever saw rain let alone salt n the such.

hsousa88
11-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Krowned my truck last week.. time for a wash!

cf105arrow
11-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Krowned the mustang last week. They went bananas this year. A lot of drip on the floor of the garage and a lot of smoke from under the hood for the first half hour. New ownership in Bolton. 2 of the guys working on my car I recognized but the others looked new. I guess too much is better than too little.

StratGT
11-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Here's my testimony:

I had my TDI done with Corrosion Free in Mississauga exactly 5 years ago. I was under the car during my last oil change and the product was still on there. The car was brand new at the time when I had this done. It was applied by the owner of Fine Details in Mississauga. It took him nearly 2 hours to remove under carriage parts, spray and reinstall those parts...there was no drilling. It is completely dripless which is important to me.

My VW is my 15th new vehicle and in the past when using Krown and Rust Check I became tired of explaining why my vehicle is dripping oil on my parents, relatives, friends, clients, and peoples driveways.

The research I did at the time showed Corrosion Free was rated the best rust proofing product by the Canadian Army.

It is the best product that I've ever used and at the time it was $100. You do not have to apply it once a year nor will the tell you it's required annually.

Hope this helps.

ZR
11-21-2017, 11:26 PM
^ Have you looked under to see how well it's working?

StratGT
11-22-2017, 01:45 AM
Yes, now with 120K in 5 years there is still no rust at all. I'm due for another oil change...I'll take some photos of the car. Also, my car has never been garage kept.

VW told me that their building process has eliminated rust issues...I've learned to ignore VW and their honesty. lol

ZR
11-22-2017, 08:36 AM
Really appreciated, thank you.

FABMAN
11-22-2017, 08:51 AM
I think Krown generally did a decent job preventing rust, collateral damage amounts to a big chunk of change though.

Have to agree here Rick. Used to have my Mustang sprayed by Krown (as you know by the mess you dealt with every time under the car). Their solution really did a number on my inner wheel wells, as well as my rockers swelled and I eventually just ended up replacing them with the cobra rockers as the old ones swelled and warped very badly. I stopped spraying it the last few years I had it and the car never had rust but the inconvenience, mess and smell was not worth it in my opinion. Need to look into this corrosion free option for my current SUV.

Scrape
11-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the input StratGT. Glad to hear that this product works well! I have always used the "Other" products in the past but was never really happy with the end results. Rust still kicked in and the drips were horrible. Corrosion Free has been applied to 2 of our cars so far and zero drips. Glad that this topic was brought up here and led me to this great product.

Gr8Stang
11-22-2017, 11:30 AM
I Krown my vehicles every other year. Has worked for me and no ill affects, aside from the dripping of product for a bit. I've taken it to the same Krown store in North Oshawa for a number of years, with the same guy owning the shop. Maybe the application has something to do with the success?

Ponyryd
11-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Just had my wife's 16 Fusion done at Krown here in Newmarket. I haven't bothered with the Mustang as it's not winter driven and I won't keep it more than 3 years anyway.
While at Krown they saw my brand spanking new F-250 and told me I should get it done. I retorted that it's got an aluminum body and won't rust. They suggested the frame should get done anyway. We'll be keeping this truck for a long time. Any thoughts on this?

Not sure how they’ll hold up in the long run, but anything I’ve seen with aluminum panels has been fairly terrible. This goes for Mustang hoods, expedition tailgates, and Caravan hoods, it doesn’t seem to matter what you do, they’re gonna corrode. And when they corrode there’s no real fix, the panels need to be replaced.
I would absolutely have the frame done but the biggest issue is the body. I’d be very skeptical also of the fasteners coming out of the aluminum in the coming years should the need arise.