View Full Version : Cannabis control board / store fronts will be run by Ont govt.

ZR
09-08-2017, 06:45 AM
The Ontario government will announce Friday that it will create a cannabis control board and open up to 60 storefronts to manage the sale and distribution of marijuana in the province, CBC News has learned.
The plans include restricting marijuana sales to those 19 and older, a year above the minimum age recommended by the federal government's cannabis task force report in December.
The 30 to 60 stores selling marijuana to the public will not be housed inside existing LCBO stores as Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne had previously suggested.
Illegal pot shops in Ontario would be shut down over the next 12 months.

In April, legislation was introduced in the House of Commons to legalize and regulate the sale and distribution of marijuana on or before July 1, 2018.
Many of the decisions about how the drug will be sold and taxed are being left to the provinces.
At a premiers meeting in Edmonton in July, the premiers announced they would ask the federal government to postpone legalization if issues related to road safety, taxation, training for distributors and public education are not addressed.
The premiers said they would report back on progress by Nov. 1 and would seek such an extension if the federal timetable was deemed "unrealistic."
"The starting point is, have we met the public safety concerns, are we sure we have the provisions in place to protect youth, do we understand what the highway traffic implications are?" Wynne said at the time. "It's those issues that we have to resolve because we have to keep people safe."
Shortly after the premiers' announcement, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government intends to stick to the July 2018 deadline.

83 5.0
09-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Heard on Newstalk 1010 that the feds won't let the cannabis be sold with other products, basically cutting out pharmacies, and the LCBO.
Going to create another level of mismanaged bureaucracy. They also said they won't be selling consummables this way, even though there is a whole section of society that would prefer to take it this way.
Just shake your head at how levels of government can really put in a whole bunch of road blocks, this is probably no where near becoming a reality.

ZR
09-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Be easy peasy to add a section to the local LCBO or Beer Store but most difficult / convoluted is what they choose each n every time.

RedSN
09-08-2017, 08:48 AM
...cannabis control board and open up to 60 storefronts to manage the sale and distribution of marijuana...
There's already a well established system for the sale and distribution of marijuana, and they don't need storefronts.

ZR
09-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Never thought of that, yet another small business under fire.

92redragtop
09-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Of course they would create an inefficient single product line distribution system when other more efficient options are already available.

StAnger
09-08-2017, 11:03 AM
To be honest, I'm not exactly in favour of legalizing pot.

hsousa88
09-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Can't wait to see what they charge for commonly sold weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF
09-08-2017, 06:21 PM
makes me chuckle

these current stores in operation......were they not these liberal, progressives who voted for pretty boy because he would legalize it so they could run their store-front businesses without hassle?

hah

and now.....they're getting legitimately put outta business cause Big Gov't is coming in to run the show

I guess they forgot that part of the equation

Screw
09-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Tbh I might try it and inhale

jk our gov is just fkd anyways

83 5.0
09-08-2017, 09:38 PM
I might entertain the edibles, (as I can't stand smoke), if it helped my insomnia and sciatica.

Screw
09-08-2017, 09:40 PM
^ try magnesium for sleep , helps me

Mellow Yellow
09-08-2017, 11:53 PM
60 stores for all of Ontario is laughable.

Toronto alone will need more than 60 stores to handle the expected demand.
There is no way that all these stores will be built and operational by legalization day.

Nevada was sold out in 6 days....I predict Ontario will be sold out in 2; bringing back the black market that the government is trying to eliminate.
And how many people will use the online ordering? Not many, if they have to wait a day or two to receive it.

Another government bumbling mess on the horizon!

Intmdtr
09-09-2017, 06:42 AM
I am sure Wasaga beach will be lit up like the fourth of July....

WTF
09-09-2017, 09:31 AM
it's telling.....when the Liberals' biggest shill...The Toronto Star....is blasting the Gov't plans on this in multiple articles

1) there's something like 870 LCBO outlets in the province......and their "stretch goal" at this point is 150 CCBO outlets......so attempts to kill the black market will fail miserably

2) current pot shops have everything on display...with what I assume are knowledgeable staff to help the customer....CCBO plan goes back decades to liquor sales of the 1970s.....nothing on display....fill out a slip and someone in the back gets the product......so from a shopping perspective its sounds like a bad trip...another fail

3) only legal place to consume is your own residence.....nanny state fail

4) while the province reaps the tax dollars....the municipalities will be funding the costs of policing and shutting down illegal shops......budget fail

5) seems the only winner here is Smokey Thomas and his union......taxpayer fail

my prediction.....once this is operational for a few years and the Auditor General gets to study the #s......this whole deal will not net a single penny of profit and will cost the taxpayers gozillions

RedSN
09-09-2017, 10:01 AM
60 stores for all of Ontario is laughable.
Could not agree more.

But even 60 isn't attainable in 6 months. We have tried to set up US retail chains here in Canada, they come in and setup a bunch of stores for a Canadian debut. But none of them have setup 60 shops in one go, and not in that timeframe. Impossible.

LCBO was a decent plan. Established network of stores already setup. Just had to install a kiosk in the corner somewhere. I wonder what the cons against this plan were?

Mellow Yellow
09-10-2017, 12:13 AM
Could not agree more.

But even 60 isn't attainable in 6 months. We have tried to set up US retail chains here in Canada, they come in and setup a bunch of stores for a Canadian debut. But none of them have setup 60 shops in one go, and not in that timeframe. Impossible.

LCBO was a decent plan. Established network of stores already setup. Just had to install a kiosk in the corner somewhere. I wonder what the cons against this plan were?

I believe the federal legislation will state that cannabis cannot be sold with any other product. Main reason why no LCBO.

RedSN
09-10-2017, 10:46 AM
I get that, and the stupid reason for that, but why not make an exception for the LCBO?
Like "no cell phone while driving, except for police officers".
Or "right lane exits, buses exempt".
They make all kinds of exceptions for government type agencies.

IanGTCS
09-10-2017, 11:31 AM

Not as if it isn't easily and readily available right now. I haven't dabbled in at least 15 years (it never agreed with me at all) and could probably get some in 10 minutes.

I can't see the 60 stores doing much, I'm betting that most people will just keep buying from their current source who likely has better hours and more personal service.