PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Darryl! (svo1990mustang)

fast Ed
09-09-2017, 01:25 AM
So earlier tonight on the 401 near Hwy 8 in Kitchener on the way from work heading to the Friday night Mississauga meet, the clutch pedal suddenly drops on my recently acquired 84 SVO ... while I'm in the left lane of stop and go traffic that is barely moving through the construction zone there, with barrier on both sides, no shoulders. Luckily the area has a slight downhill grade, I was able to get enough momentum going once some cars went around me to get the car shifted into 2nd gear without the clutch, then up through the gears from there ... it's been many years since I've had to do that, and I don't think ever on a T5. Anyway I had a pretty good idea of the culprit, the 4 cylinders cars have a little "dogbone" cable in addition to the main cable down from the pedal, and they are somewhat notorious for breaking.

They are obsolete from Ford several years ago, but this week I had thought to look for some online, and placed an order for two NOS examples along with a few other bits from Vintage Parts Inc down in Wisconsin. Unfortunately the order hadn't arrived yet, so I didn't have them in the car with me. Managed to make it to Mississauga Rd., headed south instead of north because of the red light, and made a few more turns and U-ies without having to stop to get me northbound again and up to the parking lot for the meet. Pulled in there in an open area, shut it down to let it cool and go get some dinner.

The point of this rambling is that I had called Darryl H (svo1990mustang) when I got there, since he probably has one of the biggest collections of 2.3 related Fox parts in our club, hoping that he had a good used cable. Darryl was kind enough to go to his mother's house and garage where his car and parts are, dig through and find one, then bring it down to Mississauga along with a floor jack and the basic tools needed to swap it out. By the light of my cell phone we were able to get it changed and operational in about 20 minutes. So huge props to Darryl for getting me out of a jam and avoiding a CAA call, certainly very much appreciated. Always great when you can lean on a club member to get you of a tough spot.

cheers
Ed

ZR
09-09-2017, 06:20 AM
Not at all surprised, have always considered him one of the most stand up peeps I know.

Intmdtr
09-09-2017, 06:27 AM
that's awesome, big props to him for helping you out.

Scrape
09-09-2017, 07:01 AM
That is awesome. Haven't met him but sounds like a great person.

Stephen06GT
09-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Darryl is good people. And this is an example of "what goes around comes around " in a good way. Ed you have helped many of us out of jams and now when you needed a hand, Darryl to the rescue. Kudos to both of you.

Blackmare
09-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Good looking out Darryl!

Rino
09-09-2017, 09:18 AM
:thumbsup:

svo1990mustang
09-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Glad I could help Ed, it was good seeing you and your beautiful svo. I haven't made it to meet in a long time and it was good to be out again.

Ed you are always helping everybody else out, and you have helped me on numerous occasions it's only fair I return the favour.

RedSN
09-09-2017, 10:07 AM
:clap2:

Think I first met Darryl at the very first event I attended: DaSilva show down on Kingston. Matt and Jen were also there (for those that might remember those names).