PDA

View Full Version : Technology solution our best bet?

ZR
09-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Distracted driving is a major public safety issue.
It’s the No. 1 killer on our roads today. But most Canadians think governments are barking up the wrong tree on this issue.
For the first time, we have a national opinion survey that shows Canadians don’t think social persuasion or law enforcement strategies against distracted driving are working.
Despite the Ontario government’s announcement this week that distracted Ontario drivers causing death can be fined $2,000-$50,000 (once legislation is passed), drivers who witness others texting behind the wheel every single day just don’t believe increased fines will work.
Aviva put the question to Canadians through a national public opinion survey conducted by the research firm Pollara Strategic Insights.
Four-in-five Canadians believe only a technology solution that blocks drivers from using texting and other phone messaging functions while driving — not peer pressure or law enforcement — will ultimately solve the problem. And keep in mind, 95% of Canadians polled say the amount of texting and driving they see on the roads makes them feel less safe.
The consensus toward a technology solution is building.
Marking the 10th anniversary of the Apple iPhone, the new iPhone 8 offers a text-blocking tool for drivers — “Do Not Disturb While Driving.”
The new iPhone can detect when you’re driving and block incoming calls, texts and notifications. Your screen will also stay dark. If the feature is activated, your phone can send an automatic customized response to those trying to reach you.
If it’s an emergency, the sender can text urgent to by-pass the function. In terms of making and receiving calls — a key safety feature for all drivers — this function remains operating.
The Aviva Canada survey of 1,504 Canadians — conducted Aug. 8-13 — is considered accurate within 2.5%, 19 times in 20. The findings include:
•88% of Canadians have witnessed other drivers texting while behind the wheel.
•22% of respondents admitted texting while driving themselves, including at stoplights or stop signs.
•Only 48% of Canadians think fines and demerits are a deterrent.
•Only 32% said they think peer pressure will work.
•Almost 4-in-5 Canadians — 78% — said they want to see insurance companies, auto manufacturers and governments work toward a technology solution that would stop distracted driving by disabling texting and other functions while the driver is behind the wheel.
•73% of Canadians said they would use anti-texting technology while driving if it was made available to them.
We can all do more to bring an end to the tragic accidents which occur on our roads almost every day. It’s time we all worked together to find a solution that makes driving safer — and less distracting — for everyone.
— Isotta-Riches is Chief Information Officer, Aviva Canada Inc.

Scrape
09-22-2017, 07:40 AM
I see this as a problem but what is worse is that people drive without their headlights on when driving at night. Coming down the 404 the other day from Newmarket and in the distance I see something moving but wasn't sure what it was until i put on my highbeams. Fucker was in the right lane going at a slower rate of speed.

ZR
09-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Even worse, when you fly up on a higher end vehicle you know damm well has auto headlights but it's been disabled / turned off. Just the same as being beside a full jam ride that comes standard with hands free only to see driver is on a hand held phone.

ZR
09-22-2017, 07:48 AM
They are just so busy coming up with circle jerk solutions to problems that are so easily fixed. How about making on road aggressive driving a priority. How about mandatory retest for drivers officers can see have zero zero zero driving skillz and a follow up investigation as to just how the hell they got one in the first place. Fix the douche bag crosses three lanes then back again plus no skill drivers and I'd bet the farm our on road accident rate drops huge.

Scrape
09-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Seen that way too many times. Biggest pet peeve man.
Even worse, when you fly up on a higher end vehicle you know damm well has auto headlights but it's been disabled / turned off. Just the same as being beside a full jam ride that comes standard with hands free only to see driver is on a hand held phone.

Scrape
09-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Hence the TV show Canada's worst driver. All these asshats need to get their licenses revoked.
They are just so busy coming up with circle jerk solutions to problems that are so easily fixed. How about making on road aggressive driving a priority. How about mandatory retest for drivers officers can see have zero zero zero driving skillz and a follow up investigation as to just how the hell they got one in the first place. Fix the douche bag crosses three lanes then back again plus no skill drivers and I'd bet the farm our on road accident rate drops huge.

TheMustangShow
09-22-2017, 10:13 AM
That fact that the Poll is from an Insurance Company discounts it completely.
Insurance companies belong to one of the most disingenuous industries on the planet, zero credibility.

If the GOV is really serious about distracted driving and impaired driving, instead of creating a cottage industry from the issue and using it as an excuse to EXPAND Government, they could enact the following:

Distracted Driving 1st Offence: $5000 fine and 1 year DL Suspension
Distracted Driving 2nd Offence: 1 year in Jail and 10 year DL Suspension

Impaired Driving over .08: 1st Offence $25000 fine 6 Months in Jail 5 year DL Suspension
Impaired Driving over .08 2nd Offence $50000 fine and 3 years in Jail and 10 year DL Suspension
Impaired Driving causing Bodily Harm : 10 Years in Jail and 10 year DL Suspension
Impaired Driving Causing Death: Death Penalty

With the aforementioned, the infractions would almost completely disappear.
Alas, this will not occur, as to the GOV and INS. industry this is a Revenue Opportunity for higher premiums and fines. Gov and Ins. Co. also would like cameras in cars to monitor distracted driving and track citizens movements.
INs. Companies already has tracking dievices installed in many vehicles, they offered idiots a small discount to install them to give up their Privacy and Liberty. https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/technology/insurers-see-profits-in-driving-data/article17782343/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&
If the GOV. really cared about road safety, a 1/4 the drivers on the road would have never had a path to obtain a Driver's License in the first place and there would be ZERO licenses for Automated Cars, how can anyone be more distracted, than having ZERO Control of the Vehicle they are in?

Ontario Liberals over the last 10 years have created an unsavory web between them and the Ins. industry, that guaranties the Ins. Industry a minimum profit, limits payouts and they share data, all of which is outrageous and another assault on Free Man.

None of this is about safety, it's about money.

Scrape
09-23-2017, 10:32 AM
I agree there. Here is something interesting i must say.

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20170911/new-rules-could-eliminate-no-taillight-phantom-vehicles/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Display&utm_content=Native-NF-20170911_N_Taillight&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DM-EN-CONTENT

ZR
09-23-2017, 03:07 PM
The dumb part, why the conversation to move forward with regulations on tail lights has taken so long.

R3troGT
09-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Had a car in front of me this morning with no lights on. Had to flash her a few times before she turned them on. Next set of lights I was right beside her and could see the glow of here cell phone in her lap, her head facing down. I yelled out the window to put the phone down. She looked over at me but surprisingly said nothing and reluctantly put the phone away. This was a middle aged women.

Scrape
09-25-2017, 07:45 AM
You sir are awesome!!!! Too many clueless idiots.
Had a car in front of me this morning with no lights on. Had to flash her a few times before she turned them on. Next set of lights I was right beside her and could see the glow of here cell phone in her lap, her head facing down. I yelled out the window to put the phone down. She looked over at me but surprisingly said nothing and reluctantly put the phone away. This was a middle aged women.

cobra88
09-25-2017, 02:16 PM
I see it everywhere, on the streets and highway, from blatantly talking on the phone or staring into their lap..... I go as far as honking and giving them the no-no sign.... and guess what I either get a blank look or a finger in return. I just keep honking away until other drivers notice. Then the phone gets put away.

I think the solution is not in technology, but rather in everyone making it unacceptable, like when there is a driver on the phone or looking at their lap, everyone start honking and giving the no-no sign...
embarrass the hell out of them......

ZR
09-25-2017, 05:39 PM
I like your style.

G-ForceJunkie
09-25-2017, 06:28 PM
The technology already exists, just needs to be implemented. Basically using the radio in your car to determine where the phone is, it can disable certain apps if the phone is in the driver area. Not sure if it's available for people for download, but last I heard the big telecom's were looking at it.

Scrape
09-26-2017, 07:07 AM
That is awesome! I also like your style on this matter. I will have to give it a try.
I see it everywhere, on the streets and highway, from blatantly talking on the phone or staring into their lap..... I go as far as honking and giving them the no-no sign.... and guess what I either get a blank look or a finger in return. I just keep honking away until other drivers notice. Then the phone gets put away.

I think the solution is not in technology, but rather in everyone making it unacceptable, like when there is a driver on the phone or looking at their lap, everyone start honking and giving the no-no sign...

R3troGT
09-26-2017, 08:10 AM

Shame, Shame, Shame.... lol