PDA

View Full Version : Forest Hill couple sues neighbour for $2.5 million

WTF
10-05-2017, 05:19 PM
they sued

you're gonna love this

for copying the look of their multimillion-dollar home

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/10/05/forest-hill-homeowners-claim-neighbours-duplicated-their-house-design.html

and the house isn't across the street or anything......it's a fucking kilometre away...and less than half the size of their giant, posh, gated estate

just disgusting people.....I know doctors that are moving out of the city because they can't afford a house here....and these fuckers are suing for a lottery ticket because someone dared to use the same colour stone and windows

I don't think Jason and Jodi Chapnik are gonna be fans of the internet for a long while

Laffs
10-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly first world problems.

83 5.0
10-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Geezus my cookie cutter subdivision has the same house every 5 or 6 houses.
Heard they settled out of court, man these people have too much money and time.
Maybe they should find a good cause to have put the cash on lawyers to good use.

ZR
10-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Ridiculous.

Screw
10-05-2017, 10:09 PM
The nerve of them ....jeeeeeeez

1986stangfan
10-05-2017, 10:36 PM
The stupidity and futility of humans never ceases to amaze me

MUSTANGWOP
10-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Nobody better copy the look of my car with off the shelf parts available to anyone with money to buy them or I will sue, lmao!!

Scrape
10-06-2017, 08:01 AM
That is so fucking dumb. Who the fuck cares? Well...I guess some dumb ass does. :facepalm:

1quikgt
10-06-2017, 08:18 AM
That's it, anyone with reddish brick, greyish siding and white trim better look out, I'm coming for your 2.5 million bucks. I should make around 20 mil just from my neighbourhood alone lol

tulowd
10-06-2017, 08:52 AM
If you read the whole story, the contractor for the defendants apparently came to the original owners home and discussed their architecture etc. They indicated they were going to copy the design on the renovation they were working on.

That is (willful infringement) on intellectual property/design and has nothing to do with patents or registering a design. Since been settled out of court, but the complainants likely would have won something.

RedSN
10-06-2017, 09:02 AM
A copyright case between homeowners is rare, Craig, the law professor at Osgoode, said, adding that most disputes happen between architectural firms or construction industry people.
Because that's who's copyrighted work is really at stake. The owner has no say whatsoever in this.

These two twits need to get their heads out of their asses.
http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2017/10/5/screen-shot-2017-10-05-at-8-02-43-am.png

Can somebody who understands law better than me explain why these two twits created the company "Strathearn Consulting Inc" to sue the Kirshenblatts? As opposed to suing them personally? The case is Strathearn Consulting Inc v. Kirshenblatts
not Chapnik v. Kirshenblatts
https://www.ippractice.ca/decision/?cite=2015%20FC%201404

And even if the Architect of the Vesta Dr. residence did his due diligence and search for a copyright of the house, how would you even go about that?

cobra88
10-06-2017, 12:56 PM
My guess is in this case their corporation can write off the lawyer/court expenses Vs this couple spending money out of their own pockets.

Because that's who's copyrighted work is really at stake. The owner has no say whatsoever in this.

These two twits need to get their heads out of their asses.
http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2017/10/5/screen-shot-2017-10-05-at-8-02-43-am.png

Can somebody who understands law better than me explain why these two twits created the company "Strathearn Consulting Inc" to sue the Kirshenblatts? As opposed to suing them personally? The case is Strathearn Consulting Inc v. Kirshenblatts
not Chapnik v. Kirshenblatts
https://www.ippractice.ca/decision/?cite=2015%20FC%201404

And even if the Architect of the Vesta Dr. residence did his due diligence and search for a copyright of the house, how would you even go about that?

tulowd
10-06-2017, 06:30 PM
My guess is in this case their corporation can write off the lawyer/court expenses Vs this couple spending money out of their own pockets.
and if they lose they can bankrupt this shell company without paying the other sides legal bill, or at least be protected by at least one layer of paperwork.

Quicksilver
10-07-2017, 04:17 PM
These people are crazy.
Is the quarry where they got their blue stone supposed to sell it only to them? Is the degree of slope to the roof exclusive only to them? IS the idea of a door or window exclusive only to them?
Maybe some of the ideas were utilized, but it's not really a copy of the original home. I can't imagine how they think they were hurt or damaged.
Some years ago built an elaborate, imaginative deck for a family that backed onto a ravine. 6 months later, they noticed that another family, on the other side of the ravine built an almost identical deck. The houses were separated by maybe 800 feet. My client, a lawyer, was a little upset, but did nothing because it's pretty hard to copywrite a deck. Once it's up it's "on public display" and thus they couldn't stop the other guy.
The only person hurt here was me. I was the only designer and they blatantly copied me. There's not much to be done about it, unfortunately.