PDA

View Full Version : More taxes?

5.4MarkVIII
10-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Just read that the federal government now wants to consider employees discounts as taxable benefits.

So now if you get a discount threw work. On food clothing basically any service or product the government wants a cut.

Anyone else got any more info they have seen? I'm just going off a Facebook share here.

But first impression are utter bullshit.

Offering my employees discounts now means shit because the greedy ass government can't stop wasting money

92redragtop
10-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Hasn't that always been the case? Years ago when I worked for a big bank we got discounts on loan and mortgage rates and those discounts were considered taxable benefits.

5.4MarkVIII
10-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Never heard of it before. Maybe it was a size thing. Big difference between lending rates and McDonald's lunch:shrug::shrug::shrug:

83 5.0
10-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Heard this also, that the CRA had sent out guidelines to accounting firms regarding this, but it was conflicting with the CRA' s website.
Maybe if the government started collecting taxes off all the off shore purchases through Amazon and Ebay, it might level the playing field.
Someone has to pay for Juniors Sunnyways I guess.

Mellow Yellow
10-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Hasn't that always been the case? Years ago when I worked for a big bank we got discounts on loan and mortgage rates and those discounts were considered taxable benefits.

Yes it has. Usually anything over $100.

Mellow Yellow
10-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Heard this also, that the CRA had sent out guidelines to accounting firms regarding this, but it was conflicting with the CRA' s website.
Maybe if the government started collecting taxes off all the off shore purchases through Amazon and Ebay, it might level the playing field.
Someone has to pay for Juniors Sunnyways I guess.

These letters usually indicate that the area of the tax act noted will be a focus of upcoming audits.
The last few years it has been anyone who writes off employment expenses....I've had a lot of fun with these! No less than 10 clients.

92redragtop
10-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Never heard of it before. Maybe it was a size thing. Big difference between lending rates and McDonald's lunch:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Yeah, the loan discounts can add up.

StAnger
10-10-2017, 08:42 PM
They gotta pay for all the vermin they're letting into the country somehow.