PDA

View Full Version : Build threads.

ZR
10-25-2017, 07:59 AM
So in light of last weeks in thread discussion, build threads, do you feel the poster has an obligation to you / us to disclose every detail of their build or only post / share what they wish to?
To me, post what you want n how you want. After all, your ride is unique to you, why shouldn't the way you choose to present it be the same.
So without naming names or making reference to any particular build or build thread, what do you think? I'm also of the opinion, build threads should be a 100% no bash zone. Let's face it, you can guarantee there isn't so much as single ride here where everyone can agree every single aspect of it suits their tastes to a tee. Of course comments like, "love the car but wheels don't suit my taste" are an opinion not a bash and most certainly have a place there.
My car, several times heard the comment, how could you do that to a Cobra, I wear that one like a badge of honor but at the same time respect those that choose to garage n pamper their own to the nines.

Laffs
10-25-2017, 08:13 AM
My feelings are:

-Disclose what you want. I have no issues with someone who spends the time and $$$$$ to R&D a part they don't want everyone to copy without having to go through all the same hurdles they did, or for certain speed parts I can understand wanting to keep the specs close to the chest if there is money or bragging rights on the line. That said it's public domain, if someone notices you had the entire dash made from carbon kevlar or you accidentally post a picture with your 3 nitrous tanks in view, well ya you should be prepared to face questions from the audience even if your retort is to plead the fifth.

-By the very act of posting your build on the public domain you are, or should be aware that you will be subject to criticism from masses. Don't want to hear that your 24" Lexani Dubalicious wheels look out of place on your 78 Cobra II? Don't post. Don't want to be told that the Jegs 8" bolt on scoop is a bit overkill for your stock 3.8 with a cold air intake? Don't post. That said I feel criticism as a whole should be leaning towards the side of constructive, at least when coming from members of the "car community" at large, however it takes all kinds and if you can't feel confident enough in your own decisions maybe don't hop in the fracas.

ZR
10-25-2017, 08:41 AM
I think part of the problem with some responses has to do with the faceless behind a keyboard we've all become all too accustomed to seeing, especially on the larger national boards. Your seeing at least some of the huge boards concentrating on making clear and defined no bash zones to make members more comfortable.

Laffs
10-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Fair enough, but comfortable never made anyone do better.

ZR
10-25-2017, 08:53 AM
It's also interesting how some rides absolutely accel on the dyno while others don't. Remember talking with a tuner about a local club members drag only car where a new combo showed a drop in H/P n torque on the dyno but car picked up significantly at the track. Guess we should put more emphasis on dyno n dyno numbers as being a tuning tool vs absolute truth or reality. My own car is a perfect example, initial street tune numbers showed mid 560's while pulled back track tune came up as only slightly less. On the road course, difference in performance between the two is huge. Single pull couple yrs later with a different / smaller set of rear tires and the car made just a hair under 600 (598). Sometimes wonder if thats the real number or if it'll take DR's to know for sure but in the end whats it really matter. Does well for stock TB, no headers plus 100% emissions legal. Love my 555s on the street but they are not the hot ticket for dyno pulls, especially with IRS.
Members who attended dyno days back in the day will recall multiple straps plus trunks stuffed with people trying to get some rides to quit spinning on the dyno. First time mine was done at DaSilva's we had Joe n Ross stuffed in my trunk, looked funny as hell but certainly not the safest thing we could done. Shitty part, made almost no difference, still spun the tires hard and that was when the car was still on stock blower n making mid 460's.

ZR
10-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Fair enough, but comfortable never made anyone do better.

True dat but since we aren't saving the world with these builds does it really matter how we feel personally about other peeps choices?
After all, to peeps outside the hobby we are all insane hooligans hell bent on destroying the world n making ourselves broke.

Laffs
10-25-2017, 09:16 AM
True dat but since we aren't saving the world with these builds does it really matter how we feel personally about other peeps choices?
After all, to peeps outside the hobby we are all insane hooligans hell bent on destroying the world n making ourselves broke.

Fair play, but I was more in reference to folks who make questionable decisions that anyone who has been in the game more than a minute know to be a wasted effort or downright unsafe. Basically if someone with 8 minutes of driving experience tells me they are going to slap a giant turbo on their hooptie, fail to upgrade any of the suspension or brakes, pair it with the finest in oversized wheels and taiwan tires, then you can rest assured I'm going to tell them they are making bad decisions.

To reference the above point, I think a lot of people fall in to the hobby chasing rediculous dyno #s but fail to realize the end goal should be a well sorted and balanced car that does the job you intend it to do repeatedly.

WTF
10-25-2017, 09:20 AM
meh....if you post it on the web then you've gotta expect that somebody is gonna be crusty about what you've done or haven't done

when I put the polished KB on my ride among other endless blinged out bits....I wasn't going for huge hp #s (and in today's world the #s my car puts down are completely baby-dick).....pretty sure there were lotsa folks thinking WTF did he spend all that money for then?

I think the car is done right for the way I use it.....and couldn't give two fucks if someone doesn't agree

pretty sure anyone who takes the wheel in my car with 350 at the wheels and 410s in the ass will understand in short order that it's a real nice street car.....but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make all the keyboards happy

as for sharing/posting dyno #s?

only time that's a necessity is when the car is being sold to a buyer

I totally understand how some folks might get miffed after following a major build thread and never knowing what the monster ended up putting down......but life isn't always fair is it

and at the end of the day....if you're driving the thing on the street....anything putting down more than 400 at the wheels is just spinning the fucking tires anyway

was cruising to a show once following a black Cobra vert who always put the 600rwhp dyno sheet on display....I was driving my 200hp Morgan.....we we're going up a steep hill and he punched it....so I punched it....and I had to let off or I'd have driven right into his rear end

NickD
10-25-2017, 01:39 PM
In reference to what was said in the thread referenced, I was just backing up another members comment that the thread gave us blue balls and no result. All that build up to "it's fast" was kind of disappointing.

Sure owner can choose what to share vs not, hell I don't even have a build thread.

In regards to criticisms I think it should be allowed, sometimes you can learn a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RedSN
10-25-2017, 01:55 PM
So without naming names or making reference to any particular build or build thread....

In reference to what was said in the thread referenced...
:hopelessness:

I agree with WTF: post on a public forum, expect both the good and the bad.
This forum has remained reasonably civil without being moderated.

Intmdtr
10-25-2017, 02:28 PM
STONE HIM!!!

NickD
10-25-2017, 03:01 PM
:hopelessness:

I agree with WTF: post on a public forum, expect both the good and the bad.
This forum has remained reasonably civil without being moderated.Oh we all know who and what it's about...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Suki
10-25-2017, 06:54 PM
All I have to say, you built it with your own money... fuk everyone it’s your car do what you do with it & when as long as you enjoy it who cares what ever one says if they don’t like it tell them
To give you the money build it there way and done... it’s your hard earned money people said things to me about my car don’t give a shit .. it makes me smile when I drive it ... don’t have time for time wasters... I understand everyone has opinions ...people have feelings ...be nice life too short guys

tulowd
10-25-2017, 07:49 PM
There is some misunderstanding of what I wrote, based on all the diatribe that has followed my post on the other thread.

I said: The fail was posting a dyno video without numbers and then talking about it. Same as a drag run without a time slip or time/mph shown and then carrying on about it.

At no point in time was I uncivil or disrespectful of Garys build, and I don't disagree with the premise of posting what you want.
That does go both ways however.

All the butthurt and outrage is severely misplaced, since it is about a point I did not make. For those that don't understand English, read it again before pointing the finger or dialing the phone. As far as what a build or build thread is, I have some experience in both, since I have almost a quarter of a million combined views on my 6 year shitbox build, with plenty of flaming and negative comments along the way. That's called reality.

At least this little grenade got some activity on the board and has ppl talking. Please carry on.

mavrrrick
10-27-2017, 12:29 PM
And here we go!!!

ZR
10-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Personally I think something should be done about folks who post inflammatory stuff that provokes discussion.

LOL

92redragtop
10-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Personally I think something should be done about folks who post inflammatory stuff that provokes discussion.

Probably a culture thing....not compatible with that of the board.