PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else dealing with side effects of blood thinners?

ZR
10-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Going on 4 years now since I got a significant clot in my rt leg just below the knee. Started off with 2+ years of Warfarin which had little to no positive effect on it then to Xarelto which saw the clot actually grow. Next in line, Eliquis which has at least reversed the increase I saw on Xarelto but to date has not made any more progress towards seeing it gone. I fall into an odd category where there is no solid reason for the clot and as such they are reluctant to even consider surgery (thought is likely to throw another one).
Laundry list of side effects some of which came or went as we changed meds. Always get a kick outta the doc when he says constant rest n elevate my leg, never exert myself and always stay calm.

RedSN
10-30-2017, 11:05 AM
....and always stay calm.
Moderating a forum may not be advisable.

True Blue
10-30-2017, 12:22 PM
The same with my father in-law, he's been on blood thinners for over 25yrs after suffering from a heart attack. Doctor keeps changing his medication due to the side effects or if the meds stop working.

Intmdtr
10-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Going on 4 years now since I got a significant clot in my rt leg just below the knee. Started off with 2+ years of Warfarin which had little to no positive effect on it then to Zorelto which saw the clot actually grow. Next in line, Eliquis which has at least reversed the increase I saw on Zorelto but to date has not made any more progress towards seeing it gone. I fall into an odd category where there is no solid reason for the clot and as such they are reluctant to even consider surgery (thought is likely to throw another one).
Laundry list of side effects some of which came or went as we changed meds. Always get a kick outta the doc when he says constant rest n elevate my leg, never exert myself and always stay calm.

Thanks for the heads up that being old sucks.

ZR
10-30-2017, 05:42 PM
At the DVT clinic, from teenagers on up brother, anyone that sits alot like in front of puter etc or takes long plane rides is susceptible.

Old Fart
10-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Been on Xarelto for "4ish" years as well and can't say that I've had any side effects. Then again, with sore limbs, can't really sleep well and feeling dizzy sometimes... can't really tell if it's the drug or getting older, lol.

92redragtop
10-30-2017, 10:22 PM
That sucks - all the blood thinner versions seem to have some crappy side effects. My dad just started on one a few weeks ago.

It's amazing they use rat poison as medication for us.

ZR
10-31-2017, 06:53 AM
Been on Xarelto for "4ish" years as well and can't say that I've had any side effects. Then again, with sore limbs, can't really sleep well and feeling dizzy sometimes... can't really tell if it's the drug or getting older, lol.

My doc called it his go to when dealing with clots, had virtually no side effects on it, just wasn't effective.

ZR
10-31-2017, 06:54 AM
no matter what you're taking, there's no free lunch. Everything has a side effect or downside, even too much bran.....

maybe something as simple as compression socks could assist circulation.

Yes compression sock helps some.

That sucks - all the blood thinner versions seem to have some crappy side effects. My dad just started on one a few weeks ago.

It's amazing they use rat poison as medication for us.

Yes exactly what Warfarin is..

Scrape
10-31-2017, 07:30 AM
Yes getting old sucks ass. I am on blood pressure pills. Damn you stress.

92redragtop
10-31-2017, 10:00 AM
Yes compression sock helps some.

Yes exactly what Warfarin is..

My dog ate some once and we had to pump his stomach.