PDA

View Full Version : 400 Closed due to 14 car pile up thismorning

Ghost Rider
11-01-2017, 08:10 AM
including two tanker trucks, three transports and a bunch of cars

They are still trying to get some of the cars and hoping there are more survivors

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/fatal-pileup-closes-highway-400-in-both-directions-near-cookstown-ont/ar-AAuiVGR?li=AAadgLE&ocid=ientp

http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAuiQYM.img?h=546&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

ZR
11-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Ontario Provincial Police say at least two people have died in a 14-vehicle pileup north of Toronto that has caused a massive fire and closed a stretch of highway in both directions.
OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt says that two fuel tanker trucks and at least three transport trucks were involved in the fiery crash, which happened in the northbound lanes of Highway 400, south of Barrie.
Schmidt says all lanes of the highway are closed between Country Road 88 and Highway 89 and are expected to remain closed all day Wednesday.

Scrape
11-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Horrible news. What is going on with these drivers nowadays. This rarely happened in the past.

ZR
11-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Scared the shiat outta Ross n I travelling north on the 400 a week ago heading to the Soo in the wee hours. Came over a rise to find transport trk stopped dead on the other side of hill at a temp closure to re position a machine. Thankfully, fog reflected his 4 way flashers enough I braked early, flipped my flashers on soon as I saw his, vehicle behind came closer vs what I'd have liked but didn't hit us.
Not sure why we can't adopt the warnings you see for a considerable distance ahead on many US hwys. Been a well know fact for some time, construction zones, especially at night, breed accidents.
Of course no way of knowing if that scenario contributed to this accident.

RedSN
11-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Yeah, really don't know the details of this one yet, but it does appear to be a similar scenario: vehicles stopped on the road, truck plows into them.

As much as I dislike inquiries, some have suggested this might require one. Far too many incidents this year to be coincidence. So what's the underlying cause? Is it simply driver inattention? Or something else?

ZR
11-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Sad so many need to have been hurt or worse to trigger an inquiry into something that seems so simple to at least make safer. No doubt distracted driving is on the rise (we all see the azzhats texting each and every day we drive) but the way construction zones are marked needs to change now. In my case, although it took significant braking to get stopped, far from maxed out but might not have turned out so well had I not seen his 4 ways flashing reflect off the low fog over the hill.
Ridiculous situation.

84ragtop
11-01-2017, 02:50 PM
as a guy who is a driver of trucks....we need an inquiry...i see large trucks driven by people on the phone,even with a headset on your not at full attention,i used to do it..stopped because of this

Ghost Rider
11-01-2017, 02:54 PM
police responding to multiple accidents (mostly small fender benders) on the alternate routes because there are so many people trying to get places using these roads and they are getting impatient and frustrated with the congestion

83 5.0
11-01-2017, 10:27 PM
2 weeks ago, the section of the 401 from Guelph line to Kitchener was shut down 3 or 4 times, completely due to accidents in the construction zones. Lane shifting and people not paying attention were most likely the causes.

92redragtop
11-01-2017, 10:35 PM
2 weeks ago, the section of the 401 from Guelph line to Kitchener was shut down 3 or 4 times, completely due to accidents in the construction zones. Lane shifting and people not paying attention were most likely the causes.

I remember that - I think it was closed 2 days in a row for separate accidents.