PDA

View Full Version : Never thought this was possible.

ZR
11-03-2017, 07:29 AM
The bank accounts of a Toronto brokerage are frozen to protect consumer deposits after Ontario's real estate professional regulatory body discovered "a substantial amount" missing.
The Real Estate Council of Ontario issued a freeze order for the first time in about six years on Nov. 1 against RE/MAX Right Choice Inc.
"This is very rare," said RECO spokesman Daniel Roukema, who could not elaborate further on the sum of money in question.

The Toronto brokerage, located at Centerpoint Mall in the north part of the city, did not immediately respond to requests for comment and its website appeared to be down. A person with the mall's answering service told The Canadian Press the office appeared to be closed, despite its hours indicating it should be open until 9 p.m. ET.
RECO discovered the discrepancy between how much money the brokerage should have held in trust in its accounts and the amount it possessed last week during a routine check, Roukema said.
People making an offer to buy a home in Ontario must provide proof of a deposit -- typically about five per cent of the sale price -- to the seller either when the offer is made or shortly thereafter. The brokerage of the realtor representing the buyer will hold the deposit in the brokerage's real estate trust account until it must be paid to the seller on the closing date.
RECO froze the brokerage's accounts to protect consumers from further harm, Roukema said.
It's urging homebuyers and sellers who are involved with the agency or their lawyers to contact the council, he said

Scrape
11-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Oh my. So what does this mean for the buyers and sellers in the midst of a transaction?

92redragtop
11-03-2017, 06:17 PM
I see this periodically with TICO, RECO, and even a few times with the Law Society of Upper Canada. They all require "trust" accounts that can be audited by these agencies but they are pretty much self-policed by the people who own the accounts. It's pretty much an "honour" system most of the time.

When our subdivision was being built there were three homebuilders and one of them sold a bunch of homes on their part of the subdivision and then took off with the trust/deposit and upgrade money. Some lots were sold twice, some were sold with the wrong house model on the lot (house model was too big for the lot), etc. It took about 18 months in court to settle that part of the subdivision which delayed our part. Our builder took over the building of those homes in the end which delayed our closing by 6 months. I'm not sure how it all got settled but I assume Tarion stepped in with some kind of deposit insurance protection at the time for those whose deposits were under the protection limit. Not sure about the double sales, etc.

ZR
11-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Never even considered it was anything but safe safe safe when we bought our place.

92redragtop
11-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Never even considered it was anything but safe safe safe when we bought our place.

Supposed to be safe if a true trust but anything that is self-managed/policed is well, you know......