PDA

View Full Version : This kind of left me speechless

Intmdtr
11-09-2017, 06:49 PM
April 8th 2007, Easter Sunday......I was in Afghanistan racing across the desert in my LAV 3, Call sign 22 Bravo, followed closely by the other 2 LAVs in my platoon. It was 1332hrs local time over there, when all of a sudden I felt a shudder beneath the vehicle and lost all sense of anything that happened next. Was the worst day of my life. My vehicle had struck a massive IED (improvised explosive device) that was big enough they said, to have severely damaged a 70 ton Leopard 2 tank if it had hit it.....

When the dust had settled, chaos insued as I came too once again, I heard screaming, the vehicle was lurching forward, even though much of it was gone....

6 fine soldiers, all my friends and mates I had served and trained with, some for months, some for years had been killed. I was torn apart. It took me years to recover although not 100% both mentally and physically....I have good days, I have bad days.

But I woke up this morning and as I was having my coffee at 5am before leaving for work, a story popped up on the news feed of my facebook account. The link is down below. This story damn near left me in tears, to think, to know, that people after all these years still care enough to think about those they may or may not even know......

https://www.inhalton.com/halton-police-officer-honours-six-canadian-soldiers-killed-in-afghanistan-in-a-special-way

5.4MarkVIII
11-09-2017, 06:54 PM
I know it’s probably been said before but can never be said enough.

Thank You for your bravery. Thank you for your service and thank you for your sacrifice.

RedSN
11-09-2017, 07:03 PM
I've heard bits and pieces of the story from you before, but I don't think I have ever heard the entire story in detail. I know you usually don't like to bring it up. So first of all: thanks for you service, and glad you made it home. That is really a horrible experience that I can't begin to even comprehend.

Second: what a dog! and what an honor it must be that they named him after you unit. Those dogs are amazing animals.

Did you know Grozelle?
It would be neat to meet him and Bravo.

Ghost Rider
11-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Thanks for sharing Brian, and a great tribute indeed, it's always great when you can make it down to wing night to chat...

If anyone is wondering, Brian is just a regular guy with a Ram 1500 and Mustang in which is happy to talk all day long with you about either one or many other everyday normal life things...

oh...did I mention he was one of Canada's highly decorated Snipers and you'd never even know it!!

Great Guy!!

Stephen06GT
11-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Thank you Brian for your service, for sharing that story with us and for coming back to us. God bless you sir.

Screw
11-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Thank you sir

92redragtop
11-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Thanks for sharing, and thank you for your service. That's a beautiful K-9 officer to carry the name.

Scrape
11-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Thank you for sharing this and thank you for your services in providing protection for our families.

FABMAN
11-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Thank you for your service... and for sharing your very difficult memory. I can’t even come close to comprehending what that experience was like. I have the upmost respect for our military and I hope we continue to educate our youth on the importance of respecting our armed forces.

MUSTANGWOP
11-10-2017, 09:12 AM
Thank you for sharing this touching story , your service and bravery.

mavrrrick
11-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks to ALL who have served and still currently serve. Without men and women like them we would not have the rights and freedoms that we do. We (I) often take these rights and freedoms for granted. Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart for the sacrifices you ALL have made for our freedom. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!!

WTF
11-10-2017, 07:30 PM
wow....appreciate that you shared that

based on your posts, I knew you served.....but I didn't understand the extent

that's some heavy weight man

I don't make it out to the meets much any more......but when I do I hope you're there so I can shake your hand and say thank you.....and certainly make sure you're not buying your own beer

be well