PDA

View Full Version : So it starts.

ZR
11-10-2017, 07:39 AM
Police responded to a total of 63 collisions over a 12-hour period overnight as the city got its first blast of winter weather.
According to Const. Clint Stibbe, there were 45 reported collisions involving property damage and 18 reported collisions involving injuries between 5 p.m. on Thursday and 5 a.m. on Friday.
Stibbe said that the vast majority of the collisions occurred in the north end of the city, where snowfall accumulation tended to be higher than it was downtown. He said that driver error was the leading cause of most collisions, though weather was also a contributing factor.

<iframe name="fsk_frame_splitbox" id="fsk_frame_splitbox" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; outline: 0px; font-size: 28.8px; line-height: 1.6; vertical-align: baseline; width: 603px; height: 0px;"></iframe>

Among the collisions, were several crashes on a hill on Yonge Street just north of Wilson Avenue shortly after midnight.
Reports from the scene indicate that multiple cars travelling southbound were unable to stop due to the icy conditions and slammed into one another.
Police initially closed Yonge Street in both directions north of York Mills Road due to icy conditions but subsequently reopened the northbound lanes.
Police also responded to a garbage truck crash on a hilly stretch Finch Avenue west of Bathurst Street at around 12:35 a.m. Reports from the scene indicate that the truck slid into a pole amid icy conditions, knocking it over.
Two TTC buses that were travelling eastbound at the time ended up getting stuck on the hill as well.
Meanwhile, a brand new Lamborghini sports car was involved in a minor crash overnight, as its driver lost control on Wilson Avenue west of Yonge Street shortly after 1 a.m. and slid into a sidewalk.
The city remains under a winter travel weather advisory as of this hour with roads expected to remain slippery throughout the morning commute.
In a video posted to Twitter on Friday morning, OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said that roads are relatively clear for now but urged driver to use caution regardless.
“It is still windy, it is cold but In terms of collision and delays on highways there is nothing more than what is ordinarily expected on a Friday morning,” he said.
According to Environment Canada, flurries from snow squalls southeast of Lake Huron could bring 2-4 centimetres of snow to northern parts of the GTA this morning.
The weather agency says that the flurries will move through Toronto during the morning commute and reach the Brampton area by 8 a.m.
A separate snow squall warning is in place for northern York Region, where up to 20 cm of total accumulation will be possible by later this afternoon.

ZR
11-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Not looking forward to my drive into work this am either.

ZR
11-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Poor Lambo.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4396523.1510310853!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/lamborghini-icy-roads-toronto.JPG

mavrrrick
11-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Ya, are some idiots, guy got in front of me at an on ramp and wouldn't go over 60 km on 401. OH BROTHER!!!

ZR
11-10-2017, 08:37 AM
It's scary out there, first time it's ever snowed.

ZR
11-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Add to that vehicle not equipped for conditions driven by a driver with skill levels at pretty much zero, you know the results.

WTF
11-10-2017, 08:47 AM
not letting the drivers off for their role here

but with regard to the Yonge/York mills and Bathurst/Finch.....I'm right in that area at Yonge/Sheppard and the whole fucking area is all iced up

the city fucking knew the forecast....it was rain with temps severely dropping and turning into snow.....so that means everything is gonna ice up.....would it have been too much trouble to salt the damn roads first????.....ya know....maybe those steep fucking hills that tend to ice up when you have a forecast like that

True Blue
11-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Ya, are some idiots, guy got in front of me at an on ramp and wouldn't go over 60 km on 401. OH BROTHER!!!

The same happened last night going down the 400, there was a dusty of snow at that point. Some cars travelling no more than 50-60kms with hazards on. My God!!!

ZR
11-10-2017, 09:17 AM
not letting the drivers off for their role here

but with regard to the Yonge/York mills and Bathurst/Finch.....I'm right in that area at Yonge/Sheppard and the whole fucking area is all iced up

the city fucking knew the forecast....it was rain with temps severely dropping and turning into snow.....so that means everything is gonna ice up.....would it have been too much trouble to salt the damn roads first????.....ya know....maybe those steep fucking hills that tend to ice up when you have a forecast like that

Yup, same areas that have iced up since the roads went in.

RedSN
11-10-2017, 09:41 AM

The same....Some cars travelling no more than 50-60kms with hazards on. My God!!!
That was the biggest hazard here too. Dry roads, and people going 30 in 80 zones, people around them going mental.

...would it have been too much trouble to salt the damn roads first????
Not here. Brine on the roads earlier this week, and a heavy heavy dose of salt last night. Truck is covered in crusty salt this morning.

92redragtop
11-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Same here with the ice in Bolton. I believe they sprayed brine previously and looking out this morning at all the white stuff it didn't look like it would be that bad to drive in but the AWD and ABS were working overtime until I got to the south end of Bolton - it was pretty icy.

Stephen06GT
11-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Same here with the ice in Bolton. I believe they sprayed brine previously and looking out this morning at all the white stuff it didn't look like it would be that bad to drive in but the AWD and ABS were working overtime until I got to the south end of Bolton - it was pretty icy.

You people on the North Hill are making us look bad. ;)

92redragtop
11-10-2017, 01:08 PM
LOL

Bksrt8
11-10-2017, 05:40 PM
The lambo was clearly more prepared for winter than its driver....at least the lambo is AWD!! Lol