PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of replacing steering wheel?

1986stangfan
11-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Wondering if anyone can definitively say what the laws are in replacing a steering wheel with an airbag with wheel without an airbag???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZR
11-13-2017, 08:42 AM
I think where you'll run into a problem, if injured in an accident and ins co realizes air bag was gone. I also suspect you'll run into a problem if trying to have certified.

RedSN
11-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Some of these cars are over 25 years old now. I wonder what the liability of KEEPING an airbag equipped steering wheel is?
Would you trust 25 y/o munitions in your rifle?

ZR
11-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Valid point Don, have the same thoughts.

RedSN
11-13-2017, 11:01 AM
A little bit of googling seems to indicate that they don't expire. Problem is, only way to test them is to crash into something.

I won't lie, I hate airbags, i think they are a terrible terrible idea.

1986stangfan
11-13-2017, 11:37 AM
I think where you'll run into a problem, if injured in an accident and ins co realizes air bag was gone. I also suspect you'll run into a problem if trying to have certified.

That is what i suspected doing research online it seems to be a grey area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoxRod
11-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Not just the >25yr old cars...

"Thus far, NHTSA shows that 8,168,860 airbags have been replaced. April 13, 2016: Regulators state that there are 85 million potentially defective, unrecalled Takata airbag inflators that will need to be recalled—unless Takata can prove they are safe. So far, the recall has included 28.8 million airbags in the U.S.Jul 14, 2017"

Some of these cars are over 25 years old now. I wonder what the liability of KEEPING an airbag equipped steering wheel is?
Would you trust 25 y/o munitions in your rifle?

Tailites
11-13-2017, 08:29 PM
its your car...& your life

when did it belong to the government?

did a 32 Ford roadster come with an air bag?

KRS
11-13-2017, 09:35 PM
Driving is considered a privilege not a right, therefore the government dictates the standards.

I don't believe there is any charge under the Highway Traffic Act for removing an airbag, I can look into it if you really need to know.

I believe removal (deactivation) of the airbag is a fail on a mechanical, depending on how you interpret the standard. You could always place a call to the MTO to confirm it.

Between the implementation of airbags and 2012, the NHTSA credits 42,856 frontal airbag saves.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/communications/pdf/Lives-Saved-Fact-Sheet.pdf

I did a quick search and the statistic I found was 12 defective airbag related deaths, Honda seems to be one of the worst vehicles.

ZR
11-13-2017, 09:56 PM
Yes please on HTA angle if possible.

True Blue
11-13-2017, 10:24 PM
My concern would not be if removing the air bag is illegal as it's my choice, my problem. I'd be more worried about having my policy dropped if a collision would take place. Even more so, if the party in the other vehicle is severely injured or killed. This would leave you on the hook with no coverage in case you were sued for damages, pain and suffering or whatever. Better call your insurance company and find out what the deal is. If they say it's not a problem, make sure to get it in writing.

ZR
11-13-2017, 10:35 PM
If you have a good relationship with your broker, to me, person to ask a question like that, calling ins co direct, again to me, not sure it would end well.

True Blue
11-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Good point Rick. Absolutely if a broker is managing your policy I would direct all my questions to that person. Myself I haven't dealt with a broker for many years, until recently when I switched my Mustangs over to Zehr Insurance. When dealing directly with an insurance provider, any questions I had I always did anonymously.

KRS
11-26-2017, 05:24 AM
Yes please on HTA angle if possible.

The only part of the HTA that I can see that might apply would be Section 82(1), Operating an unsafe vehicle, it’s a no set fine offence and there is a plate seizure authority.

ZR
11-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Appreciate your taking the time to research.