PDA

View Full Version : How to make the tough decisions

5.4MarkVIII
11-16-2017, 06:57 PM
My dog, ten years old. Lab husky mix.
Been having hip issues for the last year but getting really bad. He can’t sit anymore. Just walks slowly or lays down. The cold weather makes it worse. But he loves being outside. If he is inside he holes constantly. If he is outside he lays by the gate and watches people walk by. Won’t get up anymore to move to his shelter if the rain starts.
Sometimes at night I have to go out and help him up. (He is getting grumpy and has growled a couple times while doing this, cuz of the pain?)

I know what’s coming but hard to say when. He has okay days. But he has been having less and less

With Christmas fast approaching and him suffering more and more....

Just can’t bring myself to make the call and devastate my kids.

Ponyryd
11-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Best thing for that (according to my wife) is to get another dog right away. I’m still on my first dog and I dread the day but I know it can’t be avoided.
Good luck to you bud.

ZR
11-16-2017, 07:04 PM
One of our three cats has been in semi tough shape for well over a year now. Sadly, just like your dog, poor days are out numbering the good ones.

WTF
11-16-2017, 07:15 PM
such a shame.....dogs are totally family

around 20 years back my parents called to let me know that they were gonna put down Bonnie for similar reasons...an amazing sheppard/lab/collie mix that made it to 13 years.....she was a family member since my late teens at that point

gave me the chance to go and say goodbye....which I did

not sure how old your kids are....but if they're old enough to explain....give em a chance to say goodbye

sorry that you have to go through this

Ponyryd
11-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Any medication or anything you can do to ease the pain for him?

5.4MarkVIII
11-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Kids are only 5 and 7.
Seems like such a horrible thing to do with Christmas only a month away.

rioredsvt
11-16-2017, 07:27 PM
I feel for you,same kind of the situation with my 9 year chocolate old lab, had his ccl done about 3 years ago ,now same issue on left side leg, vet said won,t be long to the day . its never easy to décide

hsousa88
11-16-2017, 07:48 PM
My 10 yr old min pin has had seizures since he was 3.. seems they are getting worse. Dunno how I could ever put this guy down.. hes my best bud.

5.4MarkVIII
11-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Vet gave us some stuff to try. Didn’t seem to help much.

92redragtop
11-16-2017, 07:59 PM

This was going to be my response as well. Like us, arthritis can be treated unless it's too far gone and the combination of age means you can't help him. Or is it hip dysplasia? (I'm not too familiar with that in terms of treatment, and at what point it's too late).

Have you tried MSM Glucosamine (Chondroitin)? We had a 12-year old rescue and she went through a period where she would stay in her bed and wouldn't walk, and would howl/whimper when we tried to take her out of her bed at times - I thought she was dying at the time since she also had a heart murmur but it was the arthritis. We tried regular MSM Glucosamine and she reacted to it (she had a beef allergy and this comes from beef bone/marrow typically) and then found a seafood based version (made from cartilage/shellfish) and that worked for her - completely different dog within 2 weeks of going on this and she was able to go for walks normally, etc (it was a powder and we sprinkled it on her food). In the end it was heart failure that took her.

Each case is different but depending on how far it has advanced and what your vet is saying some of these options may work.

Lots of info on it out there (but you may have already looked into them):

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/9-common-ways-treat-and-manage-canine-hip-dysplasia

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-best-sources-of-glucosamine-for-dogs/

92redragtop
11-16-2017, 08:01 PM
My 10 yr old min pin has had seizures since he was 3.. seems they are getting worse. Dunno how I could ever put this guy down.. hes my best bud.

Is he on phenobarbital? This worked for one dog for about 8 years then we had to switch him to something else to avoid build up in his liver. He lived to 16 and the seizures subsided as he aged (last 3 years of his life).

True Blue
11-16-2017, 08:01 PM
I've been through this tough decision twice with 2 dogs and it's never gets any easier, especially when young kids are part of the mix. Please have a good look at giving your dog Glucosamine with Chondroitin for his joint pain before you put him down.

Laffs
11-16-2017, 08:31 PM
This hits home, Monday of this week I lost both my family dogs. Our Beagle Lily, 14 years old, started having breathing problems overnight and we brought her to the vet where they said it was an enlarged heart and lung issue, she was in pain and we made the decision it wasn't fair for her to suffer. The rest of Monday my Husky - Shepherd mix Sky, 16 years old, wouldn't try to move at all and passed away in her sleep that night. I lost both my best friends in essentially 12 hours time.

I say this because in recent years both dogs have their difficulties, Lily had spine and hip issues, Sky had started to lose her vision and was having trouble standing and walking. We made the decision that as long as they weren't in pain we would do whatever we could for them since they were our family. Towards the end we had to carry both up and down the stairs each morning and night, carry them outside to use the washroom, put down carpet runners so they could get better traction, had them on the glucosamine pills, got special shirts that stimulated the spine, were going to have a wheelchair made for Lily if needed. A lot of people told us this was stupid and we were burdening ourselves, I will tell you now if I could I'd do it all again twice and more if I could still have them here.

92redragtop
11-16-2017, 08:44 PM
This hits home, Monday of this week I lost both my family dogs. Our Beagle Lily, 14 years old, started having breathing problems overnight and we brought her to the vet where they said it was an enlarged heart and lung issue, she was in pain and we made the decision it wasn't fair for her to suffer. The rest of Monday my Husky - Shepherd mix Sky, 16 years old, wouldn't try to move at all and passed away in her sleep that night. I lost both my best friends in essentially 12 hours time.

I say this because in recent years both dogs have their difficulties, Lily had spine and hip issues, Sky had started to lose her vision and was having trouble standing and walking. We made the decision that as long as they weren't in pain we would do whatever we could for them since they were our family. Towards the end we had to carry both up and down the stairs each morning and night, carry them outside to use the washroom, put down carpet runners so they could get better traction, had them on the glucosamine pills, got special shirts that stimulated the spine, were going to have a wheelchair made for Lily if needed. A lot of people told us this was stupid and we were burdening ourselves, I will tell you now if I could I'd do it all again twice and more if I could still have them here.

If they're "family" then it's the least you can do for them (everything you did/tried).

Sorry for your loss....that is tough.

Laffs
11-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Like I said, would have done more if we could. The vet didn't think Lily would survive any surgery otherwise we would have. They we're our family, anything they suggested helped we did and did happily.

92redragtop
11-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Like I said, would have done more if we could. The vet didn't think Lily would survive any surgery otherwise we would have. They we're our family, anything they suggested helped we did and did happily.

That's what I got from your post.

Stephen06GT
11-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Have you thought about a canine chiropractor? My personal chiropractor is also an animal chiropractor and I have talked to several of the animal owners who swear by it. Me included. One gentleman told me he had to carry his dog in, but after the treatment the dog walked out on its own. Is it a cure, probably not, but it may make the remaining days more comfortable for your four-legged family member. Good luck.

ZR
11-16-2017, 09:53 PM
^ Had no idea, good info.

5.4MarkVIII
11-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info and support. Gonna call the vet tomorrow and talk about options.
Aside from the emotional aspect. I’m worried about his demenor as well

He used to love being pet and wrestling with the kids. Now he dosnt like to be touched. Gets snarky if your too rough with him(kids playing) I’d never forgive myself if he bit somone (never even tried but)

92redragtop
11-17-2017, 12:47 AM
You could get him on something pretty quickly and should know in short order if it will work or not.

joe dick
11-17-2017, 02:38 AM
our lab was starting to have issues with her hip, vet recomended glucosamine as well, after a few days she was moving much better.

StAnger
11-17-2017, 09:35 AM

That hurts. I honestly don't think I'd be even remotely functioning if I were in your shoes.

Laffs
11-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Ive barely qualified as remotely remotely functioning at any point this week.