PDA

View Full Version : Wine racks/cellars - what do you have? Self built, off the shelf, or contractor built

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 12:05 AM
I know there are some wine drinkers on the board so wondering what wine storage racks/cellars are out there. Probably won't build one myself but open to buying a unit to install (was looking at one company that sells wine rack "kits" that you can buy and self install) or having one built (along a basement or cold cellar wall for example). Not planning to do a fridge type unit.

RedSN
12-01-2017, 01:12 AM
We have a wine cabinet next to the TV, a roll out bar with wine storage in the dinning room, a wine fridge in the kitchen, and 2 X 72 bottle racks in the basement. We might have a problem.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/72-bottle-wine-rack-0423315p.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pm7-oXo1wIV07jACh2QPQ63EAAYASAAEgLUmPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJvXiv2F6NcCFQatTwodWZoChg
Goes on sale occasionally. Do the sales alert.

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 01:33 AM
LOL....now it gets real! Is that 72-bottle rack pretty stable when loaded (half or full)? Do you secure it to the wall? I have about 120 bottles now so would probably do a rack somewhere between 120-150 bottles. This weekend I have to find the name of the company I read about a few weeks ago.

True Blue
12-01-2017, 01:36 AM
We have a wine cabinet next to the TV, a roll out bar with wine storage in the dinning room, a wine fridge in the kitchen, and 2 X 72 bottle racks in the basement. We might have a problem.

When it comes to wine, there is no problem. :) In my wine cellar I built a shelf that can hold 3-50L and 3-25L wine damijans, plus a storage rack that can hold many 1 gallon jugs ready to transfer to bottles.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 08:36 AM

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/72-bottle-wine-rack-0423315p.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pm7-oXo1wIV07jACh2QPQ63EAAYASAAEgLUmPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJvXiv2F6NcCFQatTwodWZoChg
Goes on sale occasionally. Do the sales alert.

Seems like you problem is you buy too much wine and dont drink enough. Lol

Depends what your looking for storage wise.

Racks store wine but don’t keep it at the correct temp to enjoy immediately when you want. (Unless you don’t care about drinking temp)

Also depends on the quality of wine your drinking And how long it sits before you drink it.

My wife likes sweet wine and likes it as cold as possible so we get batches made and put in a keg that goes in my keg fridge.

I don’t keep much wine on hand o5er than that cuz I tend to drink it as fast as I buy it. Lol

There are a lot of pre made chillers to store diverent amounts that are designed to preserve wine as long as possible.
(Not many over the shelf wines are gonna be any good after a few years.)

Laffs
12-01-2017, 09:22 AM
i drink beer, but my father and stepmother are wine drinkers. He had a wine cellar built in with bar stand, holds about 75- 100 bottles I think along with a bunch of glasses and decanter, hides behind a rolling barn door. It's a real nice setup as its on the main floor near the kitchen for convenience, but not intrusive and easily hidden if wanted.

Similar to this

http://www.itcmillwork.com/uploads/2/6/1/8/26180093/wine_1.jpg

RedSN
12-01-2017, 09:27 AM
LOL....now it gets real! Is that 72-bottle rack pretty stable when loaded (half or full)? Do you secure it to the wall?
I was skeptical, but it's surprisingly strong and stable. We have it under the stairs in a little cubby hole, free-standing. Worst part is assembling it, it takes a while and is tedious.

Full disclosure: the bottom rack is all rum from Cuba.

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Full disclosure: the bottom rack is all rum from Cuba.

Hey, if it fits, why not.

- - - Updated - - -

i drink beer, but my father and stepmother are wine drinkers. He had a wine cellar built in with bar stand, holds about 75- 100 bottles I think along with a bunch of glasses and decanter, hides behind a rolling barn door. It's a real nice setup as its on the main floor near the kitchen for convenience, but not intrusive and easily hidden if wanted.

Similar to this

http://www.itcmillwork.com/uploads/2/6/1/8/26180093/wine_1.jpg

That looks cool - he had that cubby area before building this?

Laffs
12-01-2017, 04:31 PM
No. He had them build out an area that was open space before. You could easily retrofit a closet to this or do what they did and build the wall out.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 06:42 PM
You can retrofit closets usualy involves a pre made kit. If your going for temp controlled. Also $$$$$$

What kind of budget are you working with?

We have different suppliers that offer a large range of coolers and storage.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Love to get this one for the space savings but the price is too steep for my blood.

http://www.silhouetteappliances.com/products/sr001/

http://www.silhouetteappliances.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Renoir_LivingRoom-_B-632x481.jpg

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Love to get this one for the space savings but the price is too steep for my blood.

http://www.silhouetteappliances.com/products/sr001/

That looks pretty cool - not sure what the pricing is like. I don't think we need a cooling system if we keep the rack in the basement and keep the temps stable. Reds are the only ones kept for years and room temperature is fine (eg. 18 degrees would be ok) and long as the temps are stable and they're rotated periodically.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Think it was around 6 k. Not gonna happen lol.

Yeah if your just keeping reds then cork down is all that matters.

Those ones posted above seem like the best bet bank for buck as long as you don’t have to worry about kids trying to climb the. (My rugrats seem to need to climb everything.)

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Think it was around 6 k. Not gonna happen lol.

Yeah if your just keeping reds then cork down is all that matters.

Those ones posted above seem like the best bet bank for buck as long as you don’t have to worry about kids trying to climb the. (My rugrats seem to need to climb everything.)

Yeah not at $6K...just a fancy fridge then. I'll look around for the company/kits I saw recently and post them but was curious as to what others have done. I wouldn't want to screw up an install and have a lot of wine go crashing down.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Yeah that wouldn’t be good. Heard of a tech once looking at a broken cooler and didn’t empty the thing first. The built in ones aren’t as deep as a regular fridge. He gave it a shove to try and slide it forward more and it went over on it’s face. $10000 cooler and from what I was told the wine inside was worth twice that.

Too rich for my taste but I don’t touch one if it hasn’t been cleaned out first. lol.

I don’t think I have access to just storage but I’ll make some calls see if I can come up with any other ideas for you.

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 11:19 PM
^^Thanks.

Wow, feel for the repair guy in that case.

92redragtop
12-02-2017, 02:17 AM
This is the one I was looking at last week. The rack kits look interesting.

http://genuwinecellarsonline.com/

5.4MarkVIII
12-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Damn the price for just the racks is decent. If you have a spot to put them win win

92redragtop
02-19-2018, 02:06 AM
Here is my Sunday project (about 95% complete) - Cambara Mahogany rack kit (7-foot height). Now I have to finish the walls in this small storage room.

newbiestangowner
02-19-2018, 03:27 AM
very nice Richard. It is almost full already lol; that was pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92redragtop
02-19-2018, 08:12 PM
easy solution. stick to whisky

That's in the upstairs liquor cabinet with the liqueurs and other "beverages".

Superseven
02-20-2018, 07:53 AM
I am definitely out of my league here but I craft a bit and make the following wine holders. Both hold single bottles. I hobby craft in my free time currently just starting out but am curious on getting input into the designs from what seem to be true wine lovers. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180220/71164fbe6345e45b64d39e8a137408a5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180220/1fb65613ac7ee257b404ac56d6e08b35.jpg

Constructive criticism is encouraged and welcome.

You can see a bit of what I do at @sevencraftwerks on instagram

92redragtop
02-20-2018, 12:50 PM
I'll take a look at Insta later but are they mostly upside down? That's probably ok in your kitchen/dining room for display/short term storage before drinking but not for any longer storage (sediment will build up under the cork). The two designs above look cool.

Superseven
02-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Awesome thanks for the compliment and input;
so for longer term storage is flat/slightly forward (towards cork) or backwards better?

Currently these are my main two concepts and they are for a either decorative or short term storage; that being said I have a few ideas for longer term larger bottle quantities so I wanted to pick all of your brains for what you look for in a bottle storage solution.

RedSN
02-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Flat on their sides for corked bottle. Doesn't matter for capped bottles, side or upright.
Disadvantage to upside down as mentioned is the sediment.

92redragtop
02-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Awesome thanks for the compliment and input;
so for longer term storage is flat/slightly forward (towards cork) or backwards better?

Currently these are my main two concepts and they are for a either decorative or short term storage; that being said I have a few ideas for longer term larger bottle quantities so I wanted to pick all of your brains for what you look for in a bottle storage solution.

As RedSN noted, flat is best for anything longer than short term to keep the cork from drying out (which would let air in and oxidize) while not allowing sediment to collect around the cork (or cap as you can get sediment in bottles with caps as well) and get mixed in with the wine when you pour.

You can angle champagne downward since there is typically no sediment but the bottles are different.

So flat storage, normal wine bottles can be average sized or bigger (for more expensive bottles or varietals with thicker glass walls, or burgundy style bottles which have longer/thinner necks and wider bases) when considering fit and stability, smaller sizing would be for late harvest and ice wines. For short term display, you can also consider tilted (slightly upright) racks which would "showcase" the wine bottle/label in a dining room or kitchen area.

Superseven
02-20-2018, 09:56 PM
Great thanks for the input guys. I will keep that in mind if/when I make a more than decorative rack.