PDA

View Full Version : Canada needs Judges like this!!!

Biz
12-01-2017, 09:18 AM
WEST CHESTER, Pa. -- A man who was caught on video sucker-punching a man with cerebral palsy outside a store was sentenced to three to six years in prison.

A tearful Barry Robert Baker Jr. asked the judge for leniency during Wednesday's sentencing, saying he wanted to rebuild his life.

"I want this behind me," Baker, 29, told Common Pleas Judge William P. Mahon, according to The Delaware County Times . "I want my life back. This will affect me for the rest of my life."

The judge would have none of it.

"You are a bully," the judge said. "You are a predator. You are a coward. In 18 years on the bench I have never had such tangible evidence of someone's moral compass being so askew."

The judge cited the nature of Baker's crime and what he called the disrespect Baker had shown for the court by fleeing from apprehension and a being untruthful about the matter.

Baker's sentence far outweighed the sentence recommended in state guidelines: between three and 14 months of incarceration for the assault and probation to six months for the flight.

Baker's defence attorney, Thomas Purl, pointed out that Baker had been raised in a dysfunctional home, where his mother died of a drug overdose and his father continued a life of substance abuse. He said that Baker was drunk the night of the punch at 7-Eleven and had mistaken victim Michael Patrick Ryan for someone with whom he had an altercation earlier.

"My client is very remorseful," Purl said. "He doesn't go around hitting people. He's had a very traumatized time."

Ryan, 22, has not spoken publicly about the attack. He was seated in the courtroom with his mother on Wednesday but did not speak during the proceeding and declined to comment afterward.

Cerebral palsy, a neurological disorder caused by brain damage or a developmental issue, affects body movement and muscle co-ordination. It can impair people's reflexes, posture, balance and speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKvhEp5VA8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKvhEp5VA8k

ZR
12-01-2017, 09:23 AM
What a dick move, kudo's to the judge.

Laffs
12-01-2017, 09:24 AM
I'd buy this judge the drink and meal of his choosing. Need more like him.

ZR
12-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Mistook him for someone else, BS. Looks more like figured it was someone he could pick on and followed through with it. His buddy's big ass grin pisses me off as much as the act itself.

RedSN
12-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Baker's defence attorney, Thomas Purl, pointed out that Baker had been raised in a dysfunctional home, where his mother died of a drug overdose and his father continued a life of substance abuse. He said that Baker was drunk the night of the punch at 7-Eleven and had mistaken victim Michael Patrick Ryan for someone with whom he had an altercation earlier.
He mistook him for somebody else with cerebral palsy that he had an altercation with?
How many people with cerebral palsy does this guy get into fights with?

Baker challenged Ryan before he even got into the store, didn't like the look he got, waited for him, made fun of him, then clocked him. That's what I saw in the video. There was no mistaken identity here. And even if there was, how is that a defense? Worthless piece of shit.

Hopefully the sentence doesn't get reduced in the inevitable appeal.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Is it wrong that I think people like this deserve nothing more than a bullet?

ZR
12-01-2017, 11:56 AM
^ Might be a hair extreme.

ZR
12-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Just sayin.

Intmdtr
12-01-2017, 01:48 PM
That dude there needs a good old fashioned ass whoopin. Fuck people in today's world piss me off. If I seen that happen I would have beaten that guy senseless. And then wait for the cops to show and look at the tape to see why I did it.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 02:39 PM
^ Might be a hair extreme.

Your right. But how often do we se anyone like this actually turning into productive members of society vs just spending time in jail and coming back out to do the same kind of thing.

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 03:35 PM
That dude there needs a good old fashioned ass whoopin. Fuck people in today's world piss me off. If I seen that happen I would have beaten that guy senseless. And then wait for the cops to show and look at the tape to see why I did it.

He'll probably be someone's bitch in prison. I hope the sentence doesn't get appealed away. What an asshole...making fun of then attacking a disabled person who was minding his own business. I recall someone doing that during a podium speech last year.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 03:51 PM
He'll probably be someone's bitch in prison. I hope the sentence doesn't get appealed away. What an asshole...making fun of then attacking a disabled person who was minding his own business. I recall someone doing that during a podium speech last year.

Fake news and not the black flag forum.

We could also talk about the way the left had a field day with a guy for a speech problem.

RedSN
12-01-2017, 03:54 PM
I recall someone doing that during a podium speech last year.
COMPLETELY different circumstances. That person had arthrogryposis, not cerebral palsy. Nice try.

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 04:04 PM
COMPLETELY different circumstances. That person had arthrogryposis, not cerebral palsy. Nice try.

My bad.....good thing there's no video of that one.

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 06:45 PM

That person on the podium was also no making fun of anyone which has been proven without a shadow of a doubt to anyone willing to ignore the leftist lying dribble. Unless of course he was also making fun of the General and Hilary Clinton and even himself like 8 years ago and many many other people when he did the same actions for someone who was confused or caught in a lie. But keep up the fake news it’s doing well for you guys.

WTF
12-01-2017, 07:01 PM
What an asshole...making fun of then attacking a disabled person who was minding his own business. I recall someone doing that during a podium speech last year.

somebody was doing a podium speech and round-housed a disabled guy minding his own business

really?

that's nuts

is there a video?

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 07:06 PM
I’m just curious are Certain people excempt from having to keep politically charged stuff to the black flag forum or is it a liberal vs conservative thing?

Dosnt sully the forum with your right wing views that are actually thought provoking and can engage active conversation. But feel free to continue spreading BS propaganda as long as it suits a certain ideal.

I know this is not the case just wonder why some think the rules don’t need to apply to them.

WTF
12-01-2017, 07:35 PM

gave you a response to this quote a few minutes ago asking for a vid because I thought you were being literal

saw 5.4mark's response and thought he was questioning me

so I googled around and got my head straight.....sorry for not being obsessed

you're referring to Trump and his beef with a reporter

got it

gonna ask you to take it down a notch....please

thank you

5.4MarkVIII
12-01-2017, 07:50 PM
gave you a response to this quote a few minutes ago asking for a vid because I thought you were being literal

got it

thank you

Sorry man wasn’t referring to your post.

WTF
12-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Sorry man wasn’t referring to your post.

yeah no worries.....to both you and 92red

I'm happier being daft to all this shit

92redragtop
12-01-2017, 08:29 PM

got it

thank you

I can do that - I brought it up because of the references to bullying a couple posts above and was trying to widen the scope a little which while factual, may or may not be appropriate (bullying was the category the podium behaviour was put into and the CEO sets the culture for the organization....but that gets into organizational behaviour theory so I'll leave that for other forums). My bad.

Armen
12-01-2017, 09:24 PM
I'm happier being daft to all this shit

Totally agree. Especially on this car forum. I hear enough about it everywhere else all day long.

ZR
12-01-2017, 10:19 PM
I’m just curious are Certain people excempt from having to keep politically charged stuff to the black flag forum or is it a liberal vs conservative thing?

Dosnt sully the forum with your right wing views that are actually thought provoking and can engage active conversation. But feel free to continue spreading BS propaganda as long as it suits a certain ideal.

I know this is not the case just wonder why some think the rules don’t need to apply to them.

You know, we've listened to you comment about your own customers crapping on you after you've gone 110% out of your way to make them happy. Number of peeps behind the scenes have done exactly that this week by coming up with a means by which you can continue to discuss whats important to you. None of them owe you, none sold you a warranty the site was gonna make you happy, some may not necessarily agree with the conversation or it's tone but they worked it out anyways. If the discussion is purely about the discussion what does it matter if it occurs behind closed doors where it only includes those that wish to be there vs out in the open where it may perhaps make some uncomfortable? Creating that forum is most certainly not about anyone vs anyone for any reason what so ever. It's about the group of us that run the board doing our utmost to address the concerns of everyone in the very best way we can.
I hope that puts things into perspective and we can all move on.

Ponyryd
12-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Totally agree. Especially on this car forum. I hear enough about it everywhere else all day long.

I like to know about it, I don’t read the paper or watch tv, I get my news here.

Armen
12-02-2017, 03:11 AM
I like to know about it, I don’t read the paper or watch tv, I get my news here.

And you still can. Just get your password :D

1quikgt
12-02-2017, 06:23 AM
How does a post about an asshat punching a guy with cerebral palsy end up being about the right vs the left? Sometimes I feel like all you have to do is say "Hi" in this forum and someone will chime in with "Remember when Obama said Hi and fucked up the US for 8 years" and then someone else says the same about Trump. Everything doesn't have politics behind it. Sometimes "Hi" means "Hi" and sometimes dickheads punch people for no reason.

5.4MarkVIII
12-02-2017, 08:16 AM
You know, we've listened to you comment about your own customers crapping on you after you've gone 110% out of your way to make them happy. Number of peeps behind the scenes have done exactly that this week by coming up with a means by which you can continue to discuss whats important to you. None of them owe you, none sold you a warranty the site was gonna make you happy, some may not necessarily agree with the conversation or it's tone but they worked it out anyways. If the discussion is purely about the discussion what does it matter if it occurs behind closed doors where it only includes those that wish to be there vs out in the open where it may perhaps make some uncomfortable? Creating that forum is most certainly not about anyone vs anyone for any reason what so ever. It's about the group of us that run the board doing our utmost to address the concerns of everyone in the very best way we can.
I hope that puts things into perspective and we can all move on.

Sorry Rick didn’t mean to crap on those who work to make this forum great for everybody.

ZR
12-02-2017, 09:14 AM
New day n new outlook, time to talk car stuff.

92redragtop
12-02-2017, 11:07 AM
How does a post about an asshat punching a guy with cerebral palsy end up being about the right vs the left? Sometimes I feel like all you have to do is say "Hi" in this forum and someone will chime in with "Remember when Obama said Hi and fucked up the US for 8 years" and then someone else says the same about Trump. Everything doesn't have politics behind it. Sometimes "Hi" means "Hi" and sometimes dickheads punch people for no reason.

I wasn't specifically trying make it about right or left as it could be any leader (corporate, political, religious, etc) behaving in a certain way that has an influence on those who "follow" (ie. studies are typically company/organizational due to management consulting and OB research). It may not be directly causal in this case but could also be indirectly causal. I will leave my comments there but this is the kind of material I'm referring to (30,000 foot level):

https://hbr.org/2016/10/leaders-can-shape-company-culture-through-their-behaviors

ZR
12-02-2017, 11:59 AM
We are all car folks first, that makes us all a lil nutty me thinks.

1quikgt
12-02-2017, 02:15 PM
I wasn't specifically trying make it about right or left as it could be any leader (corporate, political, religious, etc) behaving in a certain way that has an influence on those who "follow" (ie. studies are typically company/organizational due to management consulting and OB research). It may not be directly causal in this case but could also be indirectly causal. I will leave my comments there but this is the kind of material I'm referring to (30,000 foot level):

https://hbr.org/2016/10/leaders-can-shape-company-culture-through-their-behaviors

I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, just seems like the norm these days for a lot of stuff on the forum to turn towards politics when it had nothing to do with it in the first place.

92redragtop
12-02-2017, 08:14 PM
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, just seems like the norm these days for a lot of stuff on the forum to turn towards politics when it had nothing to do with it in the first place.

I hear what you're saying but politics is pretty much in everything socio-economic, and especially when it comes to crime and punishment (as the latter has to do with lawmakers who are voted in by we the people to enact laws on our behalf - so it cannot really be separated). Same goes for any post about speeding or stunting tickets (ie. rants about police), Ontario Hydro, taxes, and of course Wynne, Trudeau, and any other number of public persons. Religion can be cordoned off a little easier as it's generally not as interwoven into our laws and by-laws. Additionally, leadership and culture (and behaviour of those being led) is intertwined as leader's behaviours are emulated by those they lead...there are bad leadership behaviours on both sides of the aisle as we saw last year with the focus on bullying and now this year with all the people being fired. The issue is that the leaders in these companies are the ones that should also be fired because they "allowed" it to happen and maybe did it themselves. I left a TSX-traded company in 2007 because of culture and leadership behaviour(C-Suite that I reported to) and this year the company almost imploded because of the same behaviours of the some of the same people I worked with back then. It was front page news earlier this year and OSFI and Warren Buffett had to step in to save the company that recently had a market cap of half a billion dollars.

Darkhorse
12-03-2017, 12:44 PM
"I have never had such tangible evidence of someone's moral compass being so askew"

Says it all right there........