PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do a Caribbean cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Boomer
01-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Wife and I got a Caribbean cruise booked for later this month out of Miami on the Norwegian cruise ship Escape. I've heard mostly good but a few bad reviews about this company...just wondering if anyone here has any experiences?

Thanks!

RedSN
01-10-2018, 05:05 PM
We took a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands on the Norwegian "Pride of America". It was fantastic, no complaints, luxurious beautiful ship, food was good, service, etc. My only complaints are the typical cruise complaints like: they nickel and dime you for everything, long lines everywhere, etc.

Check Cruise Critic for your specific cruise if you haven't already.

Biz
01-10-2018, 05:26 PM
My parents cruise 1-2x a year and often choose NCL.
I get the feeling its geared towards the older adult vs the younger crowd like celebrity.
They have no complaints except as Don said they are one of the worst for costing you extras.
The drink package is around $90/day per person. Even the bottle water package isn't cheap.
Also
You are automatically charged $14 a day per passenger for gratuities (service charge) but you can talk to guest services at the beginning to
be removed from this. You will need to fill out a form.
If not this will be added to your total at the end.

RedSN
01-10-2018, 05:54 PM
We've been on Norwegian, Princess, and Celebrity. I didn't really notice a difference in age groups ....they were ALL old, LOL.
That said, we've never been on a Caribbean cruise, maybe that's different.

Intmdtr
01-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Haven’t cruised but we are booking a trip to Moon Palace, riviera maya.....

Snaketamer
01-10-2018, 07:18 PM
We are booked later this winter with Holland America on the Eurodam. We are doing a 10 day southern Caribbean cruise.
Going with friends who have being on 5 or 6 cruises. This is our first. But yeah...they sure nickel and dime ya. I think the booze card is $45/day/person....

Stephen06GT
01-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Two with Disney and one with Holland America, all three were excellent. Really enjoyed the tour of the kitchen on the Holland America, and the Q&A with the captains.

Screw
01-10-2018, 08:00 PM
I like my feet planted in sand :D

G-ForceJunkie
01-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Cruised last January on the NCL Epic. It was our first cruise and my wife and I loved it. We paid the gratuities and drink package up front, and we didn't feel nickel and dimed at all. I was actually surprised how much was included - guess it depends on your expectations. Ship was very nice, staff was awesome. It was 'busy' at times, but only at the expected times...like 2PM at the pool bar, 7PM for dinner, etc. If you used a bit of an alternative schedule, it was easy to find lots of empty space for yourself. The only prices I thought were crazy were the shore excursions, which seem to be pricey no matter who you book with.

As a counterpoint to Biz - We booked with an agent, and she said given our age (~30), she would only recommend NCL or Royal Caribbean as they attract the youngest customers. I found the crowd to be varied, but we were definitely some of the youngest people on board that weren't with our parents...

Biz
01-11-2018, 10:00 AM
As a counterpoint to Biz - We booked with an agent, and she said given our age (~30), she would only recommend NCL or Royal Caribbean as they attract the youngest customers. I found the crowd to be varied, but we were definitely some of the youngest people on board that weren't with our parents...

I can only go by what my parents say but they take the more expensive cruises so that may play a part.
I've cruised with Royal Caribbean 3x and Carnival once. We had mixed crowds although on Carnival Destiny I would say the median age was 30's.
It was a party boat.

I haven't cruised in a while but I'm feeling the urge again and RC Symphony Of The Seas looks like a fun ship!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/announcing-our-newest-ship-symphony-of-the-seas/

Boomer
01-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. Seems most people have had a good time on cruises. There are always horror stories once in awhile. Hopefully the weather will be hot and the beer cold...Cheers!

Biz
01-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Seems most people have had a good time on cruises. There are always horror stories once in awhile. Hopefully the weather will be hot and the beer cold...Cheers!

Just don't go during a "Bomb Cyclone" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-1QWWaRUZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-1QWWaRUZI

Quicksilver
01-11-2018, 01:57 PM
We've done 6 cruises. 2xCarnival (terrific) 1xRoyal Caribbean (great cruise but an older ship that, well, it swayed), Celebrity(meh), Princess to Hawaii (terrible) and Holland America to Panama(also terrific).

Watch the prices in the shoppes. On Holland America I was tempted by an "Invicta" watch, on sale the last day of the cruise for $300.00 US, reduced from $600. I didn't buy it though.
Three weeks ago my wife bought the identical watch for me at Costco. How much? $89.95 CDN.

svorob
01-12-2018, 12:13 AM
I was on A Norwegian cruise during Sandy... our port was Manhattan NY
We ended up staying out at sea for 3 more days ( very rough seas )

I had a great time NCL handled it well

Snaketamer
08-22-2019, 07:34 PM
Thread back from the dead... :)

Had a great time on our first Caribbean cruise, decided to do another. This time will be a 17 day Panama Canal cruise with HAL, on the Oosterdam, in the new year. Ft. Lauderdale to San Diago with 8 stops.

Should be a blast!:party:

Quicksilver
08-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Thread back from the dead... :)

Had a great time on our first Caribbean cruise, decided to do another. This time will be a 17 day Panama Canal cruise with HAL, on the Oosterdam, in the new year. Ft. Lauderdale to San Diago with 8 stops.

Should be a blast!:party:

We did that one. Full or partial passage"? Holland America is wonderful Terrific service. Panama is something to be experienced.

SlipperyVic
08-24-2019, 07:25 AM
I've done 16 NCL cruises so far and have 3 more booked.

I'm starting to think I may have a problem.

92redragtop
08-24-2019, 10:46 PM
My first 2 Caribbean cruises were with these guys - can't do the big boat thing now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d46PMv3f1p4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mDyazwj4pl0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Snaketamer
08-25-2019, 03:17 PM
We did that one. Full or partial passage"? Holland America is wonderful Terrific service. Panama is something to be experienced.

It is a full passage cruise.

Snaketamer
08-25-2019, 03:22 PM
My first 2 Caribbean cruises were with these guys - can't do the big boat thing now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d46PMv3f1p4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mDyazwj4pl0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks amazing....

92redragtop
08-25-2019, 03:24 PM
That looks amazing....

I've done 2 different week long cruises - only way I'd go now.

Gr8Stang
09-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Just got back from an NCL cruise of the Hawaiian islands. The cruise itself was fantastic; great weather, and great on island excursions, but the ship (Pride of America) has seen better days. In fact its going into dry dock for refurbishing next year. If you can do it, I highly recommend doing a Hawaiian cruise. Also recommend getting there a day or two before your cruise to adjust to the time zone change (6 hrs. behind us). We did a tour of Ohau which included Pearl Harbor. Well worth doing IMO. Also would recommend staying a few days on one of the islands....like Maui, when you finish the cruise. A chance to hit some of their beaches and relax after the cruise (I find cruises to be busy, especially if your doing any excursions...you have to get up early).

Service on-board was pretty good and buying their beverage package was a wise decision. Cruise lines do like to nickel and dime you.

Tips:

1. Bring some insulated mugs for your drinks....keeps em cold!
2. Bring water shoes or sandals to wear around the pools....the decks were HOT! Ask me how I know.....ouch!
3. Book your excursions separate from the cruise line.....way less expensive and just as good. Just make sure you're back on time for the ship to leave port.....they will leave without you!