PDA

View Full Version : Home theatre setup - help needed

Not4you
01-13-2018, 12:14 AM
Hey TMC, I'm looking for some help with setting up my new TV. It is up on the wall, with wires run behind the wall but I'm looking for help on what to connect where to get the best and easiest results.

I'll post up some images of the inputs/outputs from my TV and components ...

TV:
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11562&d=1515816363

AV Receiver:
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11559&d=1515816266

Rogers Box:
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11561&d=1515816284

DVD Player:
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11560&d=1515816275

Where I think I need the help is that my receiver, while powerful and in great working condition, is old and does not support HDMI.

I am totally okay if this used the TV audio for most things with the option to use the receiver only when watching movies loud.

So can someone let me know what to plug in where.

RedSN
01-13-2018, 12:59 AM
Audio: TV has a digital optical out that will go to one of the digital inputs on the receiver (if I’m not mistaken)

We are using a switch box, not sure if you’ll need one.

92redragtop
01-13-2018, 02:11 AM
Audio: TV has a digital optical out that will go to one of the digital inputs on the receiver (if I’m not mistaken)

We are using a switch box, not sure if you’ll need one.

Yeah that looks like the best option (optical connection) between the CATV receiver and audio receiver for cable TV/movies, and the Digital Audio Out on DVD to Digital 1 (DVD) on audio receiver for DVD playback.

5.4MarkVIII
01-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Yep. I HDMI or rca input what ever I’m connecting directly to the tv. And then tv optical into the receiver(sound bar in my case)

The digital optical will out put what ever audio the tv is receiving. So you only need to switch the input setting depending on what your playing. No need for a switchbox

Audio quality will of course depend on the way you are inputting into the tv

Not4you
01-13-2018, 10:40 AM
And I am assuming that I have no need for the component cables (R/G/B) or the audio (R/W) in the back of the TV correct? Just 3 HDMI to the cable box , dvd and one for the kids wii. Then go from these to the receiver. No direct link from the tv to receiver. Correct?

92redragtop
01-13-2018, 11:55 AM
And I am assuming that I have no need for the component cables (R/G/B) or the audio (R/W) in the back of the TV correct? Just 3 HDMI to the cable box , dvd and one for the kids wii. Then go from these to the receiver. No direct link from the tv to receiver. Correct?

No need for component or the audio in the back of TV. No direct link from TV to receiver needed.

5.4MarkVIII
01-13-2018, 02:53 PM
If you go HDMI from DVD/ cable to the tv this will carry both the video and audio signals to the tv.

If you then go digital out from the tv to the recever. this will carry all audio from all sources to the recever.

Not4you
01-13-2018, 06:48 PM
If you go HDMI from DVD/ cable to the tv this will carry both the video and audio signals to the tv.

If you then go digital out from the tv to the recever. this will carry all audio from all sources to the recever.

So for the digital out of the TV is that the optical cable?

5.4MarkVIII
01-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Should be yeah.

That’s how I have mine hooked up. So no matter what I plug into the tv. The tv sends the audio signal to the sound bar. It should do the same for the receiver.

Not4you
01-14-2018, 02:51 AM
Cool. And if the receiver is turned off the TV speakers will remain the default. I have seen the setting for this in the tv audio menu.

Thanks for the help guys!

Zexhuffer
01-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Cool. And if the receiver is turned off the TV speakers will remain the default. I have seen the setting for this in the tv audio menu.

Thanks for the help guys!

Also a good idea before hanging to add a hdmi splitter to one that way you could always connect extra things to the back using the same spot without having to move the tv at all.

P.s still waiting for call to hang a tv :P