View Full Version : Notorious Canadian Mall

ZR
01-15-2018, 08:13 AM
A U.S. government report says a Toronto-area mall is among the most notorious sources of pirated and counterfeit goods in the world.
Pacific Mall, a predominantly Chinese-Canadian shopping centre in Markham, Ont., is one of 18 brick-and-mortar locations and 25 online retailers named by the U.S. Office of the Trade Representative in its annual review of so-called “notorious markets.”
The U.S. government says sales of counterfeit goods at Pacific Mall are “sprawling and pervasive” and that vendors “operate largely with impunity (as) requests for assistance from local law enforcement have reportedly gone unanswered.”
The new report says some of the counterfeit items available at the mall, including cosmetics, sunglasses and perfumes, can pose a risk to public health and safety.
Pacific Mall is the only Canadian market included on the list, though the report notes that one of the fastest-growing advertising networks that cater to online sellers of counterfeit goods is based in Canada.

<iframe name="fsk_frame_splitbox" id="fsk_frame_splitbox" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; max-width: 100%; width: 580px; height: 0px;"></iframe>

The RCMP and York regional police have, over the past two decades, seized counterfeit electronics, DVDs, video games and other goods, said to be worth millions of dollars, from Pacific Mall vendors.
Representatives of Pacific Mall were not immediately available for comment.

Scrape
01-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Nothing new for us...we all know it.

ZR
01-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Ok so I was the last one to know?? LOL

Scrape
01-15-2018, 08:37 AM
And you are just down the street from it? LOL

ZR
01-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Naw I've posted it being busted in the past, just never understood how it goes on seemingly unchecked when everyone seems to know the 411 on it.

Das 5.0
01-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Oh yah Rick this mall is famous for this.

MUSTANGWOP
01-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Naw I've posted it being busted in the past, just never understood how it goes on seemingly unchecked when everyone seems to know the 411 on it.

My thoughts exactly Rick!

Scrape
01-15-2018, 09:02 AM
Now I get it lol. Sorry. :)

ZR
01-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Gotcha.

RedSN
01-15-2018, 09:37 AM
I've only ever been to Pacific Mall twice: once to get some porcelain soup spoons for my aunt, and once to get my PS2 modded.

Think maybe the spoons were knock-offs?

hsousa88
01-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Let’s not forget all the fake clothes they sell.

There are at least a few stores in there that are legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biz
01-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Found some of the coolest and strangest things at that mall :D

Speedtospare
01-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Its an interesting walk though. Food court is very different.

83 5.0
01-15-2018, 10:32 PM
Are you telling me the 20 DVD's I bought a few years ago for $20.00 maybe knockoffs?:facepalm:

Screw
01-15-2018, 10:36 PM
Ya don’t say ....Pacific mall knockoffs lol

ZR
02-21-2018, 04:10 AM
OMG, utterly laughable.

Management of Pacific Mall said they are “deeply disturbed” after a recent U.S. report named the mall one of the most “notorious markets” for counterfeit goods in the world.
A news release issued by the Markham mall on Tuesday addressed the report released in January, saying it will take internal measures to put a stop to the practice.
“Management at Pacific Mall has learned that a recent report suggested that some vendors in the mall are selling imitation goods,” the news release said. “We are deeply disturbed and disappointed by this news.”

RELATED STORIES

Pacific Mall is one of world's most notorious sources of counterfeit goods: U.S. (https://www.cp24.com/news/pacific-mall-is-one-of-world-s-most-notorious-sources-of-counterfeit-goods-u-s-1.3757471)

“Management takes compliance with the laws and regulations that govern the sale of goods seriously.”
The mall said they are making the following efforts to address this issue:

Issue written advisories and warnings to store owners and tenants on trading or selling imitation goods outlining the legal consequences for engaging in such practices
Request store owners and tenants subscribe and comply with a code of conduct imposing various legal and ethical standards relating to the sale of goods
Partner with manufactures to assist the identification of imitation goods
Commission a private investigator to conduct internal audits for imitation goods
Create a website for consumer awareness of imitation goods

“As Pacific Mall management monitors this situation closely, it will continue to adopt various practices that will help discourage such behaviour from recurring in the future,” the news release said.
Pacific Mall was one of 18 retail businesses and 25 online retailers that were named by the U.S. Office of the Trade Representative in its annual review of “notorious markets.”
Pacific Mall was the only Canadian market included in the report.
The report said the counterfeit goods being sold at the mall can pose public health and safety risk.
Over the past two decades, the RCMP and York police have seized counterfeit electronics, DVDs, video games and other goods said to be worth millions of dollars at the mall.

Scrape
02-21-2018, 07:30 AM
I laughed so hard when I saw it on the news yesterday. Total joke.

Biz
02-21-2018, 08:31 AM
OMG, utterly laughable.

Management of Pacific Mall said they are “deeply disturbed” after a recent U.S. report named the mall one of the most “notorious markets” for counterfeit goods in the world.
A news release issued by the Markham mall on Tuesday addressed the report released in January, saying it will take internal measures to put a stop to the practice.

Their just fucking with the media right? :spitcoffee:[

Scrape
02-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Pretty much! lol
Their just fucking with the media right? :spitcoffee:[

ZR
02-21-2018, 08:58 AM
Exactly that.

92redragtop
02-21-2018, 01:17 PM

No, apparently the people who run the place are the last to know ;-)

redo75
02-23-2018, 10:27 PM
No but took this long for the Americans to figure this out too!!

Darkhorse
02-25-2018, 12:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDmBLAPikU