PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the 8s...checklist.

Bksrt8
02-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Im curious what direction people would go to get to the 8s or faster.

My goal is to get to an 8 second pass on an iron block and 5 speed.

Ive got the car, floors are going to be replaced in the spring. Im thinking of going twin turbos and ditch the ford ecm for something a little more tuneable. Obviously e7s will not support the boost levels needed to put a sbf into 8s. Do i need a narrowed 9" rear end or can i get there with the 8.8 and small tires?

The biggest goal is keeping it streetable...i want to be able to run it on the street even tho it will almost certainly be trailered everywhere.

I dont think im really asking alot and obviously with enough money you can do anything but lets try to stay within reason.

NickD
02-11-2018, 05:51 PM
What's the fastest you have been up till now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bksrt8
02-11-2018, 06:29 PM
11.5 in a lightning
Never been faster in a stick car

Ponyryd
02-11-2018, 08:50 PM
8s is very fast for a stock block car, especially a stock suspension car.....unless you’re talking 1/8th mile.
If you’re really serious, ditch the car you have an buy one that’s already prepped as a drag car, it will be huge money to make yours that fast, you can get rollers for fairly cheap by comparison.

Speedtospare
02-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Im curious what direction people would go to get to the 8s or faster.

My goal is to get to an 8 second pass on an iron block and 5 speed.

Ive got the car, floors are going to be replaced in the spring. Im thinking of going twin turbos and ditch the ford ecm for something a little more tuneable. Obviously e7s will not support the boost levels needed to put a sbf into 8s. Do i need a narrowed 9" rear end or can i get there with the 8.8 and small tires?

The biggest goal is keeping it streetable...i want to be able to run it on the street even tho it will almost certainly be trailered everywhere.

I dont think im really asking alot and obviously with enough money you can do anything but lets try to stay within reason.

8's is no joke. 900-1000 WHP at around 3200 lbs should get you into the 8'a solidly. What car are you putting this in? You will never do this on the stock block 550 to the tire on the stock block, then boom. You will need a complete built motor, built trans (i suggest auto), cages, full suspension, etc. If using a SBF it wont pass emissions. 8.8 35 spline stock length will work. Your probably looking at a $50,000 investment.

Bksrt8
02-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Yea ive been thinking this may be the way to go. Id be starting totally from scratch on this car....probably better to buy a built roller and just add power

Ponyryd
02-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Yes. May be better to sell your car as it sits if it’s a project, then take that cash and start working on the race car.

Intmdtr
02-11-2018, 11:36 PM
I would build gradually, start by getting the car setup and running straight consistent times in the 10’s or 11’s. Unless you have deep pockets and can build the car quickly (before your patience and your motivation wears out) then it’s only going to be slow and steady....running a car into the 8’s is not considered a budget build. It will take serious coin.

Bksrt8
02-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Money is a concern but more of a concern to me anyway, is the limits of working on the car in my driveway. I have a garage but its not big enough to put the car in and work on it. It would take a considerable ammount of time to put a car together by myself. I also would have to buy a hoist and engine stand. One bonus for me is that i live 15 mins away from Dasilva. Maybe a 10 second car is a little more reasonable for now. 8s actually seems a bit scary after watching a few vids. It would definately take some testing to get a car built from the ground up to go straight and do 8 in the quarter. Probably more testing than i have patience for lol

hsousa88
02-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Can only imagine what a 8 sec car would cost in labor... yikes. You sure you want a 8 sec car? I've ridden shotgun in a 10 second car and its pretty retarded.

Just buy a demon :D

Ponyryd
02-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Getting to 8s in a fox is a huge deal, the checklist would very, very long and detailed.

Laffs
02-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Building a 9 second car is no easy task, building an 8 second car is exponentially more difficult. Couple that with streetable and wow you've created a tall order. I know a couple guys with 8 second cars and they spent a small house to get them there and a few nice vacations worth of $$$$$ a year to run them.

I think you are really underestimating the scope of this undertaking.

The benchmark for something like this would be a car like Novi357s

The car is a 1989 notchback with a 351 dart block stroked to 427 cid. Tfs-r heads ported by TEA and an efi spyder. The blower is a procharger F-2. Tuning is accel gen VII. The transmission is a lentech AOD. It has a full interior and a stereo with a 10 inch subwoofer in the trunk. The car weighs in at a 3650 with driver. Runs 8.72 @ 163

https://images20.fotki.com/v233/photos/1/1155985/6917760/101_1705-vi.jpg

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/attachments/img_0163-jpg.1143283/

Darkhorse
02-12-2018, 03:22 PM
LS it. :stickpoke:

Laffs
02-12-2018, 03:31 PM
LS it. :stickpoke:

Means you could measure the cost to get in to the 8's in $$$$$ instead of $$$$$$

Bksrt8
02-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Whats the rad doing up there?

Id never put an ls or any sbc in a fox...its a sin against the baby jesus. Bb chevy is fine simply because the BB fords dont seem terribly popular and the cost is probably exponentially more. Sbc is pointless when theres SOOOOO much aftermarket for the 5.0L and 5.8......and then theres the fact that its a chevy....no thanks.

I think ill shoot for high to mid 10s with this car and see how that goes. As i said before, ive only driven 11.5...mind you that was squirlly as hell and in a pick up truck but it was plenty fast. Big trap speed doesnt bother me as much as the first 60-90 feet when youre already doing 60 mph and the car starts to wipe her feet a little....then things get interesting.

fast Ed
02-12-2018, 05:51 PM
My suggestion would be to not worry about running a certain number ... instead, figure out a realistic budget, then pick the best parts possible within your spending limit. As others have said, to get a SBF based engine to push a street weight Fox in to the 8s takes some serious jam. Making it streetable is a whole different deal, running it through a stick complicates matters further.

cheers
Ed

Stephen06GT
02-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Not a Fox, but food for thought.

http://www.dragzine.com/features/car-features/ben-stoner-built-fastest-manual-coyote-date/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ben-stoner-built-fastest-manual-coyote-date

Ponyryd
02-12-2018, 10:43 PM

Id never put an ls or any sbc in a fox...its a sin against the baby jesus. Bb chevy is fine simply because the BB fords dont seem terribly popular and the cost is probably exponentially more. Sbc is pointless when theres SOOOOO much aftermarket for the 5.0L and 5.8......and then theres the fact that its a chevy....no thanks.

I think ill shoot for high to mid 10s with this car and see how that goes. As i said before, ive only driven 11.5...mind you that was squirlly as hell and in a pick up truck but it was plenty fast. Big trap speed doesnt bother me as much as the first 60-90 feet when youre already doing 60 mph and the car starts to wipe her feet a little....then things get interesting.

I knew a guy running a fox notch, the fastest in our area iirc, ran very low 8s.....one run I saw he had ALL 4 tires off the ground, car was race only, fully prepped, so yea, could be a bit squirrely, lol.

Laffs
02-12-2018, 10:53 PM
I knew a guy running a fox notch, the fastest in our area iirc, ran very low 8s.....one run I saw he had ALL 4 tires off the ground, car was race only, fully prepped, so yea, could be a bit squirrely, lol.

I thought Randy went 7s in his, but ya I recall the 4 wheelie you reference. That speed is no joke.

Ponyryd
02-12-2018, 11:23 PM
I thought Randy went 7s in his, but ya I recall the 4 wheelie you reference. That speed is no joke.

Not sure who Randy is, I was talking about Andrew, car was burgundy, and I forget the combo it had. He bent one of the wheelie bars on that, but luckily he saved it and made it back to the pits....ran a high 8 I believe and lost that race because of it.
Is Randy the copper one with Chevy power?

Ponyryd
02-12-2018, 11:26 PM

Big rad, big blower, rad likely lives there to allow room for the blower to be mounted below.

Laffs
02-13-2018, 09:28 AM
Not sure who Randy is, I was talking about Andrew, car was burgundy, and I forget the combo it had. He bent one of the wheelie bars on that, but luckily he saved it and made it back to the pits....ran a high 8 I believe and lost that race because of it.
Is Randy the copper one with Chevy power?

Randy D, black 4 eye with a big procharger. I knew you were mentioning Lennons.

Ponyryd
02-13-2018, 06:10 PM
Gotcha, I figured it was only one car that went airborne, lol.

Never saw Randy’s car, it’s been way to long since I’ve been to the track.

True Blue
02-15-2018, 12:44 AM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/1988-mustang-lx-7-second-drag-car/1289907521?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Intmdtr
02-15-2018, 01:01 AM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/1988-mustang-lx-7-second-drag-car/1289907521?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hell of a car for about a 1/3 of what it cost to build.....

Bksrt8
02-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Yea but its a hatch :( lol

True Blue
02-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Yea but its a hatch :( lol

Settle for 9's? :)

http://forums.corral.net/forums/mustangs-sale-wanted-1987-1993/2449946-9-sec-notch-9k.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=919322&d=1517762325

Speedtospare
02-17-2018, 01:03 PM
My car should have mid-low 9's in it built from mainly off the shelf parts. It will be out to prove itself this summer. The old setup was a mach1 long block and a cobra eaton at 9 psi and a T-56. made 460 hp and ran 11.50@122. Could go quicker but I didn't want to break the trans. It will be the same chassis but I added an anti-sway bar to the list. I'm not going to give detail because there tons out there. I suggest baseline suspensions or teams Z stuff. My build does not have any of the safety parts required other than driveshaft loops. obiously there are tons or things missing, this is just and idea

This is my 750-800 HP Build. Can make 1100-1200 wheel when turned up but it will require built motor and trans. That would give you 8's.

Chassis: 1993 Cox coupe - weighed 3108 no driver with full interior, upgraded torque boxes, sub frame connectors, battery in the rear.
Suspension: Built rear 3.27 gear, full adjustable coilover suspension, adjustable control arms, tube k-member, rear anti-roll bar
Motor: 2016 F150 Coyote (Gen 2) Bone stock but used 11-14 intake to remove imrc's, 80lb injectors, methanol kit. Will run on 91+ pump gas and meth. Suggest getting billet oil pump and timing chain gear
Trans: 2012 F150 2WD 6R80 Transmission - added 258mm 3B Circle D stall converter, custom driveshaft, custom trans mount
Adder: CG Fab twin hot side, twin billet precision 62mm turbos, twin 44mm Precision wastegates, 50mm Tial Q BOV. Cold side is an big ebay intercooler.

12-14 psi and I should reach my goals.

Bksrt8
02-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Got any build pics?

jibbijib
03-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Step one: have a shitload of money.

Step two: you better be able to drive to get a stick into the 8s.

Step three: wake up cuz you're dreaming