View Full Version : Timing help

Bksrt8
03-10-2018, 01:36 PM
So i went out to start the mustang the other day and i could only get extremely loud backfires out of it. I figured i would set the timing from base.
What ive done is, pull the spout connector, using a compression tester, bring the motor to tdc on compression stroke. Brought the harmonic balancer to 10° before tdc. Slipped the distributor in and dicked with it untill the rotor was pointing at #1. Went to fire it and all i get is the odd fire but it wont run. Should i just put the harmonic balancer to tdc and adjust from there?

Ponyryd
03-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Yes, or go one tooth before #1 (rotation is counter-clockwise), which is where it should logically be if you’re at 10deg.

Bksrt8
03-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Ok cool ill giver tomorrow.....today is all about that bumper!! Lol

Bksrt8
03-13-2018, 06:55 AM
I must be doing something wrong. I put the timing back one tooth and still dont get much in th way of ignition. I get a couple coughs and then a HUGE backfire that has sent the neighbors into thier bomb shelters. Very close to running but then i pulled the plugs one at a time doing compression tests on each cylinder....every plug i pull is soaked in fuel. Do i maybe have a bad fpr?

fast Ed
03-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Is it still an OEM balancer? Could it have started to separate so that the timing marks on it have rotated from where they should be? That can happen.

ZR
03-13-2018, 07:36 AM
I must be doing something wrong. I put the timing back one tooth and still dont get much in th way of ignition. I get a couple coughs and then a HUGE backfire that has sent the neighbors into thier bomb shelters. Very close to running but then i pulled the plugs one at a time doing compression tests on each cylinder....every plug i pull is soaked in fuel. Do i maybe have a bad fpr?

Pull the vac hose off the reg n check for fuel.

Bksrt8
03-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Ok will do. Im not overly concerned at this point as the floor is too far gone to drive it if we ever get decent weather but having it running sure does make it easier to move around if i need to lol

Ponyryd
03-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Did this thing ever run right, if so, what has been done to make it not?
Just FYI, #1 is the passenger side (right) front, and the cylinders are numbered front to back 1234 on that side and 5678 on the drivers side.

Bksrt8
03-14-2018, 09:05 AM
It WAS running decent in the winter once i got a decent battery in it and pulled the dirty air filter. Then i didnt start it for a few weeks and now its doing this. I did look up the firing order and everything checks out. My next step is drain the oil(full of fuel), put fresh oil and filter in. Squirt a little oil in each cylinder because i fear the cylinders have been washed and have no oil protecting them and then new plugs. After i check the fpr of course.

ZR
03-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Oil in the cyls will just complicate trying to fire up.

Bksrt8
03-14-2018, 03:01 PM
I was told to pull all the plugs, squirt a little oil in each cylinder and then crank the motor over by hand for a few rotations to coat the cylinder walls. I second guessed it too but i dont want the rings to score the cylinder walls because they arent lubricated properly. If its gonna make life difficult then i wont do it lol

maxwell6
03-14-2018, 03:19 PM
If all ran good before sitting for a bit why do you thing the timing is off.

Bksrt8
03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
I thought the timing was out when it was running. I just noticed that it wouldnt idle unless the distributor was turned WAY advanced. Timing is/should be fine...i think ive got different problems.

maxwell6
03-20-2018, 11:37 AM
So have you figured it out yet,just curious.

Bksrt8
03-22-2018, 06:10 PM
The plugs are fouled badly. Its been running rich for some time id say and its got shitty ngk plugs. Im gonna swap in some autolites and go from there. Havent had a chance to do anything lately but im fairly confident that changing the plugs will get it running again and then i can get my timing dialed in. I should just do a complete tuneup i suppose but my money is required elsewhere for the time being.

maxwell6
03-23-2018, 08:03 AM
sounds like you got a plan keep us posted:mechanic:

Bksrt8
03-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Yea im just slowly plugging away at it. Theres a ton of fuel in the oil right now so thats gotta go. Then plugs...slowly working away at the body....got the dech bumper fiberglassed and fixed the couple cracks. Itll get done eventually...im in the midst of changing jobs and my gf of 14 years and i are separating so im looking for a new place....mustangs kinda on back burner at the moment and ive even thought about selling it but i just cant bring myself to do it lol Itll get done in good time. I want it to be perfect so im not rushing.