PDA

View Full Version : Tire, tires, tires...

Stephen06GT
03-18-2018, 08:20 AM
With springs just around the corner, our Mustangs will soon be on the roads and many of us will be looking for new tires (myself included). So here is a thread where you can post questions, reviews, videos, and recommendations about tires.

I'll start with some info about two tires that are on my short list, the Nitto NT555Gen2 and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Nitto add

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou2vXRpUPRA

Nitto review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=3s&v=Dqep6yyFvAA

Firestone review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=52s&v=gldNk7qP1Pg

FoxRod
03-18-2018, 09:40 AM
With recommendations from Ed and others I went with the new Continental Extreme Contact sports. Great reviews for dry/wet conditions on the street and track applications...

https://youtu.be/9UsxOzLSdAg

Armen
03-18-2018, 10:14 AM
When I picked up my car in 2015 (S550) I lowered it with the Eibach Pro kit (mild 1" to 1.5" drop) and went with Niche GT5 10.5x20 wheels. For tires I went with MT Street Comps, 275/35 front and 305/35 rears. I had camber bolts installed in the front and an alignment done. I did 4 Dasliva Track days on these tires and a few drag strip events. In addition to that, I also put on about 30K of regular street driving. These tires held up well under the abuse and stuck pretty good on the track. On the plus side, these tires didn't break the bank and there was no noticeable road noise increase as the tires wore. Negatives... Not really much except a slight vibration right around 120km/h on the highway. It was barely noticeable. And at the time, I wasn't sure if it was a tire issue, wheel issue or perhaps a drive shaft issue, of which some S550 owners have complained.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street-tires/street-comp

Late last summer I replaced the rather worn Street Comps with a new set of Nitto NT-05's. 275/35 front and 305/30 rears. I also had an alignment done again after the install. I have done one fall track day on these so far and a few thousand street km's. The road noise is minimal from these so far and the slight vibration I had previously with the Street Comps is gone. I thought these tires performed very well at the track the one time I was out on them, but I'll be able to provide more feed back this year in regards to that. These tires weren't crazy expensive, nor were they super cheap - more a middle of the road kind of investment. I spent just under $2g's out the door for them, installed and not including the alignment.

https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt05-max-performance-tire/

Stephen06GT
03-18-2018, 10:59 AM
The Conti are also on my list. As far as the NT05, they were removed from the list as they don't come in a size that will work with my rims.

fast Ed
03-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Good input Chris and Arnold.

Those Mickey Thompsons are made for them by Cooper, and seem to be a decent product, especially at the price point as you mentioned.

The Continental are a nice tire for sure, but I think that Stephen is hoping to spend a bit less on this set.

As I've said before I was very impressed with the Firestones when we put them on the 2017 Ecoboost that I had last summer for a demo. Only negative was a bit more road noise on older pavement surfaces than some other performance tires, but not terrible. Grip and ride were very good. With the $100/set rebate that Firestone will have on this model for spring, they are an outstanding value.

cheers
Ed

Minaccia
03-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Currently I'm running M/T Street Comps on all 4 corners and the Street Comps are a pretty good tire and great in the rain especially stopping but the rears on dry are not enough, so I just ordered a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S tires 305/35/20. This year I should be able to hold the power down a lot better on the street instead of spinning and especially with the high stall converter going in I'm going to need a sticky tire, all the reviews say they are what M/T claims them to be so I'll see for myself soon.

https://i.imgur.com/vjTQre0.jpg?1

True Blue
03-18-2018, 01:45 PM
With the $100/set rebate that Firestone will have on this model for spring, they are an outstanding value.

cheers
Ed

Ed,

Send me a PM if need be, need new rubber for my DD. What would it cost for 225/40/18 tires?

Thanks!

RedSN
03-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Late last summer I replaced the rather worn Street Comps with a new set of Nitto NT-05's....I thought these tires performed very well at the track the one time I was out on them, but I'll be able to provide more feed back this year in regards to that. These tires weren't crazy expensive, nor were they super cheap - more a middle of the road kind of investment.
I have used these as my dedicated track tires for the last few years. My Cobra Rs came with a worn set of NT-05s that I used for a couple of seasons, and then I purchased a second set that I used for a few more seasons. A season for me includes a couple of trips to TMP, and one day at Mosport.

I am hugely impressed by these tires. Once warmed up they provide a very good amount of grip IMO, especially on a low-powered car such as mine. Have heard from others that they did not perform as well on higher powered cars.

That said, my next set of tires are Nankang NS2R (120). Will report back how they do at the track.

fast Ed
03-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Ed,

Send me a PM if need be, need new rubber for my DD. What would it cost for 225/40/18 tires?

Thanks!

Will do tomorrow for you. Just in case you're not aware, these are summer-only tires, not all-season. You have a set of dedicated winters on it now?

True Blue
03-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Will do tomorrow for you. Just in case you're not aware, these are summer-only tires, not all-season. You have a set of dedicated winters on it now?

Thanks... I'm aware these are summer tires. Currently running BFG's g-Force Sport Comp-2 tires and yes I use dedicated winters. :)

FABMAN
03-18-2018, 07:43 PM
I installed Nitto Nt555 g2 on my 2017 Gt.

So far, I have put only a couple hundred km on them and I am very pleased with these tires. Considering I run 285/35/19 on front and 305/35/19 rear, the tires are comfortable, handle well and quiet.

Also have not noticed any tramming so I would recommend Nittos at this point. I can update this review once I have some dry warm days of driving on them.

Monera3v
03-21-2018, 02:03 PM
believe it or not
Indy 500 by Firestone are doing some good work and straight 5/5 on almost every forum
bang for buck
255/40/18 front and getting some 275/40/18 for the rear

newbiestangowner
03-21-2018, 04:10 PM
believe it or not
Indy 500 by Firestone are doing some good work and straight 5/5 on almost every forum
bang for buck
255/40/18 front and getting some 275/40/18 for the rear

Me too Monera, I’ll most likely get them too
They are easier on the wallet lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickD
03-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Ron, I've seen your race car, and you live in Burlington sport cup 2s and a blower this year lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

newbiestangowner
03-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Ron, I've seen your race car, and you live in Burlington sport cup 2s and a blower this year lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I wish lol
I’m financially challenged- where as some people out there can afford two mustangs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickD
03-21-2018, 06:05 PM
I wish lol
I’m financially challenged- where as some people out there can afford two mustangs

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOnes 13 years old the other has a Honda motor lol

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk