PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about vehicle maintainence

Quicksilver
03-27-2018, 03:14 PM
My son Noah just had his '16 F-150 in to Heritage Ford for service. he has had it for 2 years, 1 month and it has 40,500 km on it. It's a 5.0 and has the tow package.

1] New back brakes. at 40,000 KM? They didn't replace or turn the rotors. Seems like low k's. The front brakes are fine, with 8mm thickness left. They told him that's because he towed our trailer. In all reality he probably towed for well under 3000 km total, and for sure under capacity.

2] He asked for the old parts. They told him that they had already thrown them out.

3] The charged him $120 for "a brake system flush", telling him it was a required service. I've never in 50 years of car ownership heard of this, and it isn't a required service in the owners manual. Is this a real necessity or just a dealer thing?

4] They charged $32 for "battery terminal maintenance". Apparently they were corroded. I looked, and I could see absolutely no evidence they were ever touched, but even so, why not just tell him to do it.

They called for permission to do the brakes, and by the time Noah checked with me and called back (maybe 10 minutes)they'd already done it. $120 labour to replace the pads.
Apparently the service advisor also called him to tell him these things (flush and battery) NEEDED to be done so he agreed without calling me to confirm.

I'm upset because he went in for an oil change ($100.oo!!!) and came out with a bill for $545.00 Am I completely out of touch with what things should be done and what they cost, or is this today's reality?

Boomer
03-27-2018, 04:03 PM
I'd be calling the manager and get the scoop on this one. Sounds excessive to me. Changing brake pads at 40K??? The battery terminal corrosion and brake system flush at 40k???? That's quite the bill for going in for an oil change.

WTF
03-27-2018, 04:24 PM
I could understand how a big heavy pig could eat rear brake pads after 40,000kms especially if it's towing here and there

what's the hourly rate at the dealer now?....gotta be around $100+.....rear brake pads are probably $100

so including the oil change...they got you fair on $300-350 I think

"battery terminal maintenance" and "brake system flush" to the tune of $150+......I'd be wanting to know what that was all about

ZR
03-27-2018, 04:35 PM
My son Noah just had his '16 F-150 in to Heritage Ford for service. he has had it for 2 years, 1 month and it has 40,500 km on it. It's a 5.0 and has the tow package.

1] New back brakes. at 40,000 KM? They didn't replace or turn the rotors. Seems like low k's. The front brakes are fine, with 8mm thickness left. They told him that's because he towed our trailer. In all reality he probably towed for well under 3000 km total, and for sure under capacity.

2] He asked for the old parts. They told him that they had already thrown them out.

3] The charged him $120 for "a brake system flush", telling him it was a required service. I've never in 50 years of car ownership heard of this, and it isn't a required service in the owners manual. Is this a real necessity or just a dealer thing?

4] They charged $32 for "battery terminal maintenance". Apparently they were corroded. I looked, and I could see absolutely no evidence they were ever touched, but even so, why not just tell him to do it.

They called for permission to do the brakes, and by the time Noah checked with me and called back (maybe 10 minutes)they'd already done it. $120 labour to replace the pads.
Apparently the service advisor also called him to tell him these things (flush and battery) NEEDED to be done so he agreed without calling me to confirm.

I'm upset because he went in for an oil change ($100.oo!!!) and came out with a bill for $545.00 Am I completely out of touch with what things should be done and what they cost, or is this today's reality?

Pads done without needing rotors skimmed or replaced, does not happen often. Obviously an honest tech who only sold you what was needed.
Also worth noting, some OE pads, especially for trucks n vans, can be in the $250-400 per set range. Just did a GM van where owner insisted on the original pads, came in at mid $300 plus tax. Ouch!! Still good value since they'd seen nearly 150k of service.
Becoming more and more common to see brake fluid look like puke where brakes have obviously seen some heat.
I see you put an exclamation point beside the oil change price as well. Keep in mind many vehicles also hold substantially more oil vs what your accustomed to.

ZR
03-27-2018, 04:37 PM
Confirmed via Google

The V8 engine has an engine oil capacity of 7.7 quarts

1BAD92LX
03-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Our brake fluid flushes are $105 due every 3 years but Honda's cant and shouldn't tow anything. Your truck would take a couple more bottles of bake fluid.
Traction control may apply the rear brakes, 2wd in winter may see the traction control operating a lot.
1 hr labour to change brakes is pretty normal I think.
Just my 2 cents.

5.4MarkVIII
03-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Rear breaks. Low Kms. Burnouts anyone?

98 Snake
03-27-2018, 05:39 PM
rear pads at 40k is pretty common. if the vehicle has hill start assist and traction control it will wear a set of pads quickly.

brake fluid flush is recommended every 2 years by most manufacturers.

nothing really out of the ordinary but the cost add up fast.

Laffs
03-27-2018, 05:40 PM
The trailer you towed, does it have trailer brakes and are they set up correctly both on the trailer and the truck? 3000kms of towing isn't insignificant and if the truck is doing the majority of the braking it wouldn't be out of realm of possibility to have excessive wear. Pad price seems fair and for them to not push rotors or turning the rotors seems within reason as well. Fluid flush, last time I did my fluid flush it was like $60 in fluid alone and an hour of my time so again seems reasonable especially if you've really got them hot a number of times and I think it's recommended to bleed and flush when you do pads now. The $32 battery terminal maintenance does seem like a joke if they were not actually corroded, most guys I've seen just have a liquid cleaner they use to clean those up unless they were really bad in which case replacing a terminal should be around that price.

If your son agreed to have them do the work I see nothing wrong with the pricing. $545 for an oil change, brake pads, fluid flush, seems fair to me. This stuff happens on equipment that gets worked, currently dealing with a Silverado that went in for an oil change and a misfire and has evolved in to a $2000 overhaul of the fuel system and ignition. Don't get me started on the quote I got today of $8500 to safety our float trailer.

Screw
03-27-2018, 07:48 PM
Drive it for its purpose things wear ...you know our sponsor is on here curious as to why not pick up the phone and just call instead of creating this post . You’ve obviously trusted them to bring your business to them . My .02

55 HD
03-27-2018, 08:33 PM
And your in Business for yourself. I say pick up the dam phone and discuss what you think to the dealer. And is this your truck or your Son's that you need to bark about. END

And mentioning the dealer has nothing to do with getting opinions of what others think.

Darkhorse
03-27-2018, 08:44 PM
One thing I've learned about Ford's:

1. depending on how you drive, anything is possible.
2. Even after 10-15K, the diff fluid and other things looks like 100K+
3. Car guys always want everything done, so the bill always creeps up.
4. If you really need to save money, do it yourself.

Heritage Service dept is interesting. The manager there knows his stuff cold. The young hipster guy is very helpful as well.

There are a couple service advisors that I don't really care for.....not exactly laser like in execution, but so much about the dealership is amazing, that I can deal with the odd slug.

Screw
03-27-2018, 08:50 PM
And mentioning the dealer has nothing to do with getting opinions of what others think.

^^

ZR
03-27-2018, 10:18 PM
Drive it for its purpose things wear ...you know our sponsor is on here curious as to why not pick up the phone and just call instead of creating this post . You’ve obviously trusted them to bring your business to them . My .02

Especially given Bill is one of the most genuine and approachable people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Quicksilver
03-28-2018, 04:05 PM
I asked these questions before I talked to Bill, in case I was blowing smoke.
I checked the owners manual and a brake flush is NOT a factory requirement. Nor is a battery cleanup.
The trailer has brakes and a controller and the truck has a tow package. The service manager admitted to Bill that it could have done another 10-15000 km before absolutely having to be changed, but then we might have had to do rotors as well, so I am satisfied.

I did talk to Bill and we have been satisfied.

As a matter of interest, Since May 2012 we have purchased, leased or recommended for purchase (5 of them) a total of 16 vehicles. I will continue to look to Heritage and Bill for my automotive needs

RedSN
03-28-2018, 04:31 PM
They called for permission to do the brakes, and by the time Noah checked with me and called back (maybe 10 minutes)they'd already done it.

10 minutes for a brake job? Bravo Heritage Ford. :clap2: That's some F1 pitstop speed right there.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/bb7be2207a83429485644e59d7c4d522/tumblr_n5hti95wG21sncaa3o2_400.gif

Laffs
03-28-2018, 04:43 PM
10 minutes for a brake job? Bravo Heritage Ford. :clap2: That's some F1 pitstop speed right there.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/bb7be2207a83429485644e59d7c4d522/tumblr_n5hti95wG21sncaa3o2_400.gif

Probably already had it disassembled to inspect and already confirmed the parts were in stock and ready to go. Probably had the pads in and calipers bolted back up to flush lines in under 10 min.

Quicksilver
03-28-2018, 04:45 PM

I wonder if the pads were already done when they called? That happened years ago with a dodge Minivan. They tried to hit us up for $400 for rear brakes. I said no. Miraculously 10 minutes later they called back to tell me that Chrysler would do it under warranty

billcaitken
03-28-2018, 05:50 PM
After reading this post, I did dig into this and was told by service advisor that dealt with him and was told work was authorized to be done and we didn't go ahead and do work without being told to do so as that isn't the way our service department operates, especially after being in business after 50+ years. Service is always a pretty thank less department when it comes to customers praising for the outstanding treatment they received and that the pricing was amazing, its usually the exact opposite I have found after being here for approx. 15 years at this store.
Also that the rear rotors were glazed after pulling the RO and work order to confirm that in fact the work had been done and not just been charged without being completed.

Blackmare
03-28-2018, 06:10 PM
After reading this post, I did dig into this and was told by service advisor that dealt with him and was told work was authorized to be done and we didn't go ahead and do work without being told to do so as that isn't the way our service department operates, especially after being in business after 50+ years. Service is always a pretty thank less department when it comes to customers praising for the outstanding treatment they received and that the pricing was amazing, its usually the exact opposite I have found after being here for approx. 15 years at this store.
Also that the rear rotors were glazed after pulling the RO and work order to confirm that in fact the work had been done and not just been charged without being completed.Thank you for looking into it and chiming in Bill. Appreciate it and all you do.

Laffs
03-28-2018, 10:15 PM
I wonder if the pads were already done when they called? That happened years ago with a dodge Minivan. They tried to hit us up for $400 for rear brakes. I said no. Miraculously 10 minutes later they called back to tell me that Chrysler would do it under warranty

Why would any shop take that risk? Seems like wasted labour to do work without first ensuring you will get paid for it. Also all the prices mentioned so far seem so insanely reasonable Id have a hard time ever saying no. Pretty sure to put decent jobber (non oem) brakes on my last Ram was a $400 in parts per axle cost, if a dealer told me they'd do it for that with labour they'd have to be careful my wallet didn't know them over when I threw it at them. Like you said you're satisfied with the work and the dealer, no need to assume they are trying or were trying to rip you off.

Looking at Ford's maintenance intervals and recommended services on line a brake inspection is recommended at all your major intervals. I think a fluid flush would fall under that if needed, and the battery fix would fall under the recommended multi point inspection. In the future it's probably worth doing a cursory inspection to the truck prior to bringing it in for routine maintenance so any trouble spots you can see first and not be surprised when they get recommended.

Darkhorse
03-29-2018, 07:51 AM
Service is always a pretty thank less department when it comes to customers praising for the outstanding treatment they received and that the pricing was amazing, its usually the exact opposite .

^^^ That sounds like the operations department of a bank too.

I don't think it's only about being thankless (though, in this case it sure sounds like it was) I think there is just a couple simple things that could be done to boost customer appreciation generally that wouldn't take much.