PDA

View Full Version : All this over name of a soft ice cream joint............. get a life!!!

ZR
03-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Popular ice cream brand Sweet Jesus may have come under fire recently for allegedly promoting “blasphemy,” but the company is not melting under the pressure—they say they have no plans to change their name.
The heat was turned up on the soft serve company earlier this week (https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/24/sweet-jesus-ice-cream-parlour-faces-backlash-over-name.html)when right-wing bloggers analyzed the branding, and a petition on CitizenGo came to light, claiming Sweet Jesus “is all about trashing Christianity” and is “totally offensive,” asking that the company issue an apology to the Christian community at large, and change their name and branding.
“We want (Sweet Jesus) to consider how they have attacked the Christian community, and how they have attacked God,” the petition reads. At the top of the page, the headline exclaims, “Toronto-Based Ice Cream Parlours Serve Up Blasphemy.”
The brand, founded in 2015 by Andrew Richmond and Amin Todai, uses some religious imagery in their branding, but says their name is “an exclamation.”
“It was created from the popular phrase that people use as an expression of joy, surprise or disbelief,” Richmond said in a statement. “We found this firsthand, often using it while testing new items in our kitchens.

“We are conscious of the fact that, to some, our name can be off-putting. That fact is something we struggle with because we sincerely do not wish to give offense or show disrespect in any way toward anyone’s personal beliefs. Neither is it our intention to be exploitative or flagrantly provocative.”
The petition had reached over 8,500 signatures by Monday. CitizenGo, a conservative advocacy site, has been scrutinized in the past by groups such as GLAAD for homophobic and anti-choice rhetoric.
A second petition started on Change.org called for a boycott of the ice cream chain for their “Anti-Christ agenda,” saying that the sweet treat brand had declared “open season against Christianity.” They say an ice cream parlour using names and imagery from other religions would not be permitted.

Stephen06GT
03-27-2018, 05:49 PM
They make great ice cream cones (the lemon meringue pie is Awesome). My daughter and I make Sweet Jesus a necessary stop whenever we go downtown. I strongly second the comment "GET A LIFE!!!" and try a Sweet Jesus cone.

ZR
03-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Like your style Mr.

ZR
03-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Of course as Christian I'm deeply offended.

RedSN
03-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Toronto-Based Ice Cream Parlours Serve Up Blasphemy
mmmmmm.....sweet sweet blasphemy

Laffs
03-27-2018, 06:15 PM
https://youtu.be/Z764IzCtjtE

mavrrrick
03-27-2018, 07:52 PM
I am catholic as well and not offended a bit . They can all f*** off!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkhorse
03-27-2018, 08:58 PM
The Heineken beer commercial getting called racist blew my mind today too. I watched it.....I don't see racism.....and I've seen racism.

83 5.0
03-27-2018, 09:15 PM
Lord Thunderin Sweet Jesus, sounds like a cruise destination!
My thoughts on the Bitter Mohamed: Give the 2nd and 3rd generation some time and they will be as assimilated as the Catholics and the Protestants here now.

92redragtop
03-27-2018, 10:41 PM
"Blasphemy" would be a great name for a flavour in this case.

Screw
03-27-2018, 11:12 PM
I think there’s one at Vaughan Mills ...good publicity I might actually try it

StAnger
03-28-2018, 07:56 AM
My thoughts on the Bitter Mohamed: Give the 2nd and 3rd generation some time and they will be as assimilated as the Catholics and the Protestants here now.

LOL. That'll never happen.

You forget. The Catholics and Protestants didn't have to assimilate, they helped build this nation.

To the point of those who are offended. I can see their point, but I guess in this day and age it's acceptable to ridicule Christians. Just imagine the outcry if they did call it Bitter Mohamed's, it wouldn't be just those from the so called "religion of peace" but I'm sure they'd have a visit from SJWs and Antifa pretty quickly.

Laffs
03-28-2018, 08:28 AM
How would "Bitter Mohamed" go over?

Wouldn't it be the exact same?

92redragtop
03-28-2018, 09:34 AM

That's what I was thinking if you actually follow the logic.

5.4MarkVIII
03-28-2018, 09:44 AM

Depends if they are getting death threats over the name or not.

I’m in the side of relax it’s a name move on with life but I take that stance with 99% of the people being offended by things any more. I can however see the irony of how peole are telling them to get over it when they don’t say that to other groups that are offended by things.

Blackmare
03-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Absolutely cannot wrap my head around how sensitive people have become. It's a creative name; plain and simple. Live your lives people, you only get one go around. Take a stance on things that really matter.

True Blue
03-28-2018, 10:00 AM
It doesn't offend me. But seeing how other groups put up a stink and get things their way. There shouldn't be a double standard.

Slick_89_Hatch
03-28-2018, 10:40 AM
Such BS....this just encourages me to go there more often...their ice cream is awesome!

stangstevers
03-30-2018, 07:37 AM
On the flip side, imagine if you started a business in Toronto and called it MuhamaCream and had a cartoon of muhammud with icecream in his beard... You'd have nothing but death threats, house burnt down, family members beat to shit, and the liberal governments federal and provincial would throw the book at you and charge you with the new islamic/sharia law that you aren't allowed to offend muslims, you'd be on the news 24/7, compared to hitler, get fired, end up on the streets...

Insult Christians or Jews and meh... who cares right?

RedSN
03-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Insult Christians or Jews and meh... who cares right?

The heat was turned up on the soft serve company earlier this week when right-wing bloggers
It was right in the original post

stangstevers
03-30-2018, 11:00 AM
It was right in the original post

I mean people who matter don't care lol... bloggers... pshhhh lol You won't see a government funded vigil against the company.