PDA

View Full Version : IRS is here

stangstevers
04-09-2018, 07:11 AM
Thanks for your help Rick and fellows.

So I got all the MM stuff for the front and #275 springs. Now for the IRS install (from a 03 Termi). So far, it's suggested to get the full tilt boogie bushing kit and a means to strengthen the diff cover. Now a few questions or comments.

- I don't want to install this and get massif wheel-hop lol I'm hoping the bushings will help. I do like to act stupid (in Mexico) in this car.

- Is the steeda reinforcement enough to strengthen the diff? I don't think I'm producing enough power to really hurt anything (maybe 320-350 at the motor, TOPS) and won't be using any sticky tires.

- I can simply use the fox yoke in the diff so I can keep my alu. drive shaft untouched?

- I got the MM coilover kit (thanks Rick) but still a tad unsure about spring rate to get. It's a fox which probably weighs around 3000 pounds or less (factory delete car and alu heads and such). Not a drag race car at all, spirited driving and hopefully start taking it to road course events. So I need it to be somewhat usable on bumpy roads.

- I got to reinforce the strut towers in back with some custom bracing, looking forward to that should be fun.

- Where can I find Cobra tails? It seems I need to buy the full cat-back to gain access to the tails which sucks.

ZR
04-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Thanks for your help Rick and fellows.

So I got all the MM stuff for the front and #275 springs. Now for the IRS install (from a 03 Termi). So far, it's suggested to get the full tilt boogie bushing kit and a means to strengthen the diff cover. Now a few questions or comments.

- I don't want to install this and get massif wheel-hop lol I'm hoping the bushings will help. I do like to act stupid (in Mexico) in this car.

Will the complete Full Tilt Boogie kit and a decent tires, typically see no wheel hop. In a 5.0 / T5 Fox, you may not need their dropped rear mount to correct pinion angle. Well worth trying bushings in your stock one first.

- Is the steeda reinforcement enough to strengthen the diff? I don't think I'm producing enough power to really hurt anything (maybe 320-350 at the motor, TOPS) and won't be using any sticky tires.

Assume you mean Steeda diff brace, quality piece that will keep everything in one piece.

- I can simply use the fox yoke in the diff so I can keep my alu. drive shaft untouched?

- I got the MM coilover kit (thanks Rick) but still a tad unsure about spring rate to get. It's a fox which probably weighs around 3000 pounds or less (factory delete car and alu heads and such). Not a drag race car at all, spirited driving and hopefully start taking it to road course events. So I need it to be somewhat usable on bumpy roads.

Shoot Suki or Majid a pm n ask what they ended up with.

- I got to reinforce the strut towers in back with some custom bracing, looking forward to that should be fun.

Done it for a few guys on here, works extremely well to tighten up the rear chassis.

- Where can I find Cobra tails? It seems I need to buy the full cat-back to gain access to the tails which sucks.

I may still have the partially damaged ones off my Cobra, shoot me a message later in the week and I'll check.

stangstevers
04-09-2018, 07:37 AM
You mean "per-clearenced" tail pipes for lowered cars? lol

Please check it out if you still got 'em. Thanks Rick.

ZR
04-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Adding to the above, if / when your doing bushings, empty cradle is even easier to handle when mocking up (new cradle mounting bushings must be installed first of course).

hsousa88
04-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Done it for a few guys on here, works extremely well to tighten up the rear chassis.

Is this strictly for a IRS setup? Always wondered how much a brace connecting both towers would help. Seen some scary pics online...

FoxRod
04-09-2018, 04:06 PM
great suggestion here... :)

Spend the money on a performance driving school instead ... then any car you drive will be better!

cheers
Ed

OldSchool
04-09-2018, 11:43 PM
May I suggest going with the modified / updated ford diff cover. Even more awesomer then steeda brace. if you got the coin.
I have a steeda brace on my irs convertec 1995 cobra and the upgraded ford cover on a factory 04 cobra. It is a great piece and if you go with full till boogie you can get it from them preground for their rear bushing set too.

I love the way my irs 1995 rides. It has great street manners, I would do it again.

1BAD92LX
04-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Is this strictly for a IRS setup? Always wondered how much a brace connecting both towers would help. Seen some scary pics online...

ZR made a rear shock tower brace for my Fox, I can text you pics.

stangstevers
04-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Thanks, Rick was talking about your notch, sounds like a pretty awesome setup!

hsousa88
04-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Always like seeing Rick's work.. PMed you my #

1BAD92LX
04-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Text message pics sent. Pics in post coming

ZR
04-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Pic

ZR
04-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Length of 2x2 180 wall fitted across, three tabs locate it to the floor (third on on front side), tab on each end with recesses cut for shock rubbers on each top corner. While some in the past questioned it's effectiveness, ones using them have the opposite opinion.

stangstevers
04-11-2018, 08:15 AM
SOLID!!!

ZR
04-11-2018, 08:19 AM
Difference in a couple was appreciable, added to a vert, that much tighter and then some. Suspect results in a hatch would fall somewhere between the two.

ZR
04-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Bolt in braces out there really don't mount well enough to be of any benefit.

juvehab
04-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Length of 2x2 180 wall fitted across, three tabs locate it to the floor (third on on front side), tab on each end with recesses cut for shock rubbers on each top corner. While some in the past questioned it's effectiveness, ones using them have the opposite opinion.

Rick you weld it to the floor?

ZR
04-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Yes.

hsousa88
04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Ok I want one :D

juvehab
04-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Ok I want one :D

Yep me too. PM the cost Rick. Now back to Steve's thread.