PDA

View Full Version : How do these scams work?

G-ForceJunkie
04-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Since I've listed my wheels for sale on facebook, I've had two people very anxious to send me money via paypal, with no known method for them to actually receive the wheels. One of them promised a vague 'shipping agent' pick up from my location. What can these people do with a paypal e-mail address besides send me money? It seems like it's risk free for me, but some of the things they say and questions they ask just seem 'off', so I'm fairly certain they are scams of some sort, I just don't know how.

mavrrrick
04-10-2018, 02:47 PM
You have to give them info on your account. Don’t know what they can do with it?? I won’t do any transactions unless I can meet up with them. A lot of f’ed up people out there now and days. E transfer is better in my option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZR
04-10-2018, 02:50 PM
I believe, money sent to you isn't legit which leave a means by which to draw funds back.
IMHO, sell in person or tell em to fawk off.

newbiestangowner
04-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Since I've listed my wheels for sale on facebook, I've had two people very anxious to send me money via paypal, with no known method for them to actually receive the wheels. One of them promised a vague 'shipping agent' pick up from my location. What can these people do with a paypal e-mail address besides send me money? It seems like it's risk free for me, but some of the things they say and questions they ask just seem 'off', so I'm fairly certain they are scams of some sort, I just don't know how.

Best to sell in person with cash in hand.
It may take a bit longer to get a legit buyer( most legit buyers want to check out the wheels in person anyway and if all good want them right away so they want to put them on) and at least u limit chances of getting scammed.
I got offered the same method as u when I sold my take offs- didn’t bother really reading it and just deleted them.
Met at a Tim Horton’s, cash in hand n deal done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92redragtop
04-10-2018, 04:14 PM
As noted above, the form of funds sent can be pulled back by the sending institution but in the meantime 1) you have shipped the item, then the funds are removed from your account, OR, 2) they overpay you (same scenario where the funds can be pulled back) and ask you to send them back the difference (which is legit funds out of your pocket) which they take and disappear and then the original funds/payment they sent you gets reversed due a "problem" with it (you never ship the item because they just want the money.

It's typically #2 and yes, people have actually sent them the difference between the price of the item for sale and the overpayment amount and been scammed out of this differential.

Quicksilver
04-10-2018, 04:23 PM
about 8 years ago my son tried to sell his car on Kijij or Craigslist. He got a reply by email expressing a confirmed purchase, site unseen.3 days later what appeared to be a real, signed cheque arrived for the full amount asked. It was drawn on an American Car dealership complete with address and phone number. I called them and they were legitimately in business. However, it turned out that the account the particular cheque had been drawn on was closed, because a year earlier several hundred cheques had been stolen. Needless to say we did not pursue the sale.

mavrrrick
04-11-2018, 11:15 AM
I sold my mobility scooter, he came over , looked at it, e transfered $$$, waited to see in my account and good bye charlie. If they can't meet you , like Rick says, FAWK OFF!!!

Minaccia
04-11-2018, 12:50 PM
The real buyer will want the items fast and are willing to hand over the money fast anyone who takes their time forget about it, I always ask for partial payment via e-transfer or no deal.

G-ForceJunkie
04-12-2018, 04:53 AM
I've sold lots of parts both in person and by mail (EMT and paypal) before. I'm not going to pursue these two sales any further because I don't feel like wasting my time, but to be honest I am curious how it would turn out if I let them send me money, and then transfered the money out of paypal into physical cash (Although theoretically something would stop me before I got there if the funds weren't real). Not worth the hassle though.

I had also heard that they send you an e-mail from 'Paypal' that shows your deposit has been received.