PDA

View Full Version : Cats

5.4MarkVIII
04-10-2018, 06:32 PM
I know there are some cat people here.
I’ve never been a cat person. But when the kids say please can I have a kitty, sometimes you go against your better judgment and say okay.

Dogs I can handle. Cats. I know nothin
So couple questions for you cat guys

First cat throws up almost daily. At the very least 3 times a week. vet says probably eating to fast so got a fancy bowl to slow her down
Shastated at it for about an hour while giving me death looks. Pretty sure she hates me for it

Well it didn’t help. Still pukes all the time. Is this normal. Search on the internet and seems to be very common WTF!

Also how do you get a cat to shut up? Seriously damn thin mews all the time and won’t shut up.

Dogs you can train!

Ponyryd
04-10-2018, 06:35 PM
My wife has three, they throw up rarely, but yea it does happen, usually because of how often they clean themselves, since they end up swallowing some fur. So we use hairball control food...I got nothing on the mewing, our cats are actually pretty good, and quiet most of the time.

ZR
04-10-2018, 06:57 PM
You can also slow down food intake by adding water to kibble plus also divide into more meals per day. While most cats like to nibble, some (like two our of our three) chow down more like a dog.
Some through up because of hair balls, cat clean itself alot?
Another option, they do make sensitive stomach food. One we use is by Science Diet from Pet Value.

Minaccia
04-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Keep trying different types of food till it doesn't puke every day and the yapping not sure about that but I know those Bengal cats like to talk a lot. You can't train a cat like you do a dog but you don't have to walk or pick up it's crap when it goes since you can train it to shit in a box, I was never a cat person till I met my wife now we always have 2 in the house and they are great pets.

5.4MarkVIII
04-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Never see any hair in the puke. Maybe that’s normal. Lol

The dish we got she has to pull out the food one piece at a time (I think that’s the reason for the death glares)

I was worried about switching food cuz any time we switched our dog he would puck and the shits for days.

Maybe that’s he next step.

Other than the puke and noise she has been great. Took well to my 5 year old who carries her around everywhere she never gets cranky. Just rolls with it. And cry’s if he locks her out of his room (which he usualy only does if she decides she wants to play with him at 3 in the morning)

Well that and the mouse she caught last week and took up to his room to play with. That was a fun wake up

“MOM DAD MILEY IS CHASIN A RAT AROUND MY ROOM!!!!”

Ponyryd
04-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Lol, they’re good for that too, if you have mice.

But yeah, like a dog you can’t awitch their food up suddenly, they’ll puke and/or squirt, you need to slowly change food, with progressive mixing. Where did you get it from and what were they feeding it?

bluetoy
04-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Does it go outside? If it does they eat grass and it make them puke. My cat hardly ever pukes. Maybe 5 times in the 3 years we have had her. I'm sure that doesn't help you out though.

RedSN
04-11-2018, 12:14 AM
We’ve got two sisters. They’re great. One throws up occasionally tho, especially this time of year while they are getting rid of their winter coats. They both eat too fast, they compete against each other, so we try to separate them. We’ve also done smaller portions at a time. They get wet food in the morning, then dry food, then more wet food at dinner time. Also try to excercise them (play) before they eat, not after.

Not related to the throwing up, the best thing we ever did was get a self-cleaning litter box. Makes my life 100% easier. The Litter Robot is by far the best we have found. We have two for two cats, and I empty the bag about once a week. Not cheap, but so worth it. Simple design, works great.

Meowing... not much you can do about that. Our last cat was part Siamese. What a noise they make. Current cats make cute noises that honestly aren’t a problem.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cats/i-PzLsMB7/0/08810110/M/dinner-M.jpg

Uncle Buck suggested Laxatone to me (for the cats) a while back. Have not tried it, but he said it works wonders for his cat.
http://www.vetoquinol.ca/eng/products/laxatone-lubricant-hair

83 5.0
04-11-2018, 05:30 AM
My inlaws use both soft canned food and dry kibble with their cat. If they only put out one type of food the cat would puke. Seems the variety helped.
Our cat use to puke when we had plants in the house, it would eat the leaves or flowers, then toss up.

stangstevers
04-11-2018, 05:59 AM
I had a lot of pussy growing up, always had a few cats in the house. The only "bad" ones we had were those designer "flat face" breeds. Best cats are Maine Coons (imo). I had one that could play fetch like a dog lol

It's normal for a few hairballs once in a while but not throwing up all the time, maybe see a vet?

RedSN
04-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Cats. I know nothin

I know you love YouTube informational videos, LOL, so i’m going to suggest watching Jackson Galaxy “My Cat From Hell” if you want to learn how cats think. He’s kinda like the horse whisperer for cats. We got lots of useful tips from that show.

ZR
04-11-2018, 07:33 AM
+ 1

5.4MarkVIII
04-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Lol, they’re good for that too, if you have mice.

But yeah, like a dog you can’t awitch their food up suddenly, they’ll puke and/or squirt, you need to slowly change food, with progressive mixing. Where did you get it from and what were they feeding it?

she gets royal Canin that what the spca was feeding her and what the vet recomends

- - - Updated - - -

Does it go outside? If it does they eat grass and it make them puke. My cat hardly ever pukes. Maybe 5 times in the 3 years we have had her. I'm sure that doesn't help you out though.

nope inside only