PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

5.4MarkVIII
04-12-2018, 10:16 AM
When we purchased our 2017 f150
I requested the maximum towing available with the 5.0

Which should be the heavy tow package and the 3:73 gear ratio for a max rating of 10,800 lbs according to the ford web site.

I used this number as a reference for the size of travel trailer I purchased in the fall to give me enough tow capacity to also pull my boat.

Problem is I never double check the numbers of the truck.
Now that I’m getting the hitch set and double checking. My truck (that I have owned for a year now) only has the 3.31 gear. Which means No heavy duty tow package and only a tow rating of 8900lbs.

Need to double check my boat weight but I think that’s gonna put me over the combined weight to tow both.

NickD
04-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Easy, call Bill, trade in the 5.0 for a 3.5 eco with tow package.
Ive towed a trailer close to the max rating with an explorer it's not fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ZR
04-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Tow package and max tow package, confusion for at least a couple of other buys on the board lately as well. When truck will be used for heavy loads / max effort towning, important to know wts etc and confirm it's equipped with the package you'll need before purchase. In the same breath, how close to max are you going to end up at with both hooked up? Also worth keeping in mind, down a gear and taking it easy will add a whole bunch to whats going to work or not. I'm actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.

ZR
04-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Easy, call Bill, trade in the 5.0 for a 3.5 eco with tow package.
Ive towed a trailer close to the max rating with an explorer it's not fun.

If you mean towing a loaded car trailer behind Expl, no thanks.

NickD
04-12-2018, 01:51 PM
If you mean towing a loaded car trailer behind Expl, no thanks.My parents traded thier tent trailer for a 22' one, after one summer they got rid of it and went smaller again as it was really struggling.

Armen
04-12-2018, 01:56 PM
If you mean towing a loaded car trailer behind Expl, no thanks.

I did that. Yes it sucks, lol.

5.4MarkVIII
04-12-2018, 02:04 PM
With both I’m looking at being over by almost 1000lbs.

Depending on the finnal weight of the boat

The way to understood it for the web site

It’s base tow with 5.0 is 8600 ish

With the tow package (3:73 gears)
10800lbs

Max tow only available with the eco boost. Is 14000lbs.

I had asked for the 5.0 with the tow package.

My bad for not double checking. Just trying to figure out what my best move is
Since the truck is one year into a 4 year lease and I already have the air bags and exhaust installed

Laffs
04-12-2018, 02:13 PM
The issues also lies within the fact there are a myriad of variables that affect max payload and max tow beyond simply powertrain options. Cab size, chassis length, number of drive wheels, wheel and tire etc etc. Even more confusing is that not every option group (FX4, etc) is not able to be ordered with every axle ratio (at least that's how it used to be not sure if it's completely a la cart) and even if that's the case most dealers aren't going to pay extra to stock trucks with the 3.73 when 90% of consumers don't want the added cost and/or care more about highway MPG.

Look at Fords fleet guide the max rating you will get out of a SuperCrew 5.0 truck is 10,800 which is only if you have a 4x2 157wb (6.3 bed) truck. The standard off the lot truck (Screw 4x4 5.5 bed) will only go as high as 10,500 and that's if you have 17" wheels optioned. Generally the heaviest towing trucks are not the most desirable option packages and if you wanted items like Sport trim you are automatically excluded from the highest echelon of towing due to the 20" wheel and tires.

As ZR said the best rule here is if you plan to tow at or near the maximum capacity of your truck, go to the next level of truck. Most people often ignore that these ratings don't factory in additional passengers, cargo, supplies, etc. Personally as soon as you start to hit that 10k weight on a regular basis you want to look at an HD truck. Don't get me started on people who want to bumper pull 15k + lbs with a passenger truck.

If you absolutely must have a 1/2 ton that tows that much weight, factory order is the only option with serious attention paid to these tow ratings. You may end up finding you having to sacrifice what type of truck and options you want to get the tow rating, which generally leads me back to the 3/4 and 1 tonne argument. In your case unless you original sales contract lists the 3.73 or max tow groups, I think you better start looking at lighter aluminum trailers unfortunately.

Quicksilver
04-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Did you order it or buy it off the lot? when it's off the lot some salesmen (sorry: salespeople) will tell you "stories" to get you to buy.
If you ordered it, the correct package should have been specified.

Quicksilver
04-12-2018, 02:17 PM
actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.
150's today are as strong as 3/4's from 10 years ago. Adam's f_150 has a 7700 lb gvw, which is more than the 7600 lb F-250 I bought in 2007.
My '17 F-250 has a 990 lb GVW which is the sale as my F-350 in 2005.

Laffs
04-12-2018, 02:24 PM
150's today are as strong as 3/4's from 10 years ago. Adam's f_150 has a 7700 lb gvw, which is more than the 7600 lb F-250 I bought in 2007.
My '17 F-250 has a 990 lb GVW which is the sale as my F-350 in 2005.

Most manufactures offer to down rate the GVWR on the newer 3/4 and 1 tonnes because in Ontario going above a certain GVWR results in more expensive stickers and other headaches. It's not that those trucks haven't gotten better its that the Ministry is still very pig headed. With the 1/2 tonne stuff I think half of it is consumer demand and the other half materials and engineering. I wouldn't call it stronger per say as HD trucks are going to fair better in the long run when you work them hard vs. a 1/2 tonne, but 1/2 tonnes are certainly more capable than the once were.

As per salespeople I agree to an extend. Absolutely some will try to sell you anything to get it off the lot, but also imagine trying to know every detail of all these different tow rating variables, as well as having to know the fuel economy of the focus vs. fiesta, the truck space of an edge vs. and explorer, which trim levels of fusion have bluetooth, and a million other trim variables and specs. Downright impossible and many consumers will want answers on the spot not "let me check the brochure".

5.4MarkVIII
04-12-2018, 02:33 PM
If it’s true that you can’t get the 10000lbs plus with the sport package that may be what boned me.
Not blaming the dealer. I signed off on it. Should have double checked the max towing before I purchased.

I spoil with the sales guy and he is gonna look into what my buy out is and see what they can do

Just wondering now say screw it’s for the 3.5 or step into a superdudy and be done with t

Laffs
04-12-2018, 02:43 PM
If it’s true that you can’t get the 10000lbs plus with the sport package that may be what boned me.
Not blaming the dealer. I signed off on it. Should have double checked the max towing before I purchased.

I spoil with the sales guy and he is gonna look into what my buy out is and see what they can do

Just wondering now say screw it’s for the 3.5 or step into a superdudy and be done with t

You could get Sport up around 10,000lbs I believe, but not the 20's as the only LT tires were the 17s and 18s or at least that's how it used to be. I did read somewhere that this was changing for 2018 and that there would be a 20" tire max tow option however a quick glance at the brochure online seems to indicate it's still 18's if you want that big number.

Going EcoBoost seems to get you a larger safety net, as they seem to be all in the 10,700 range but again do you want to be that close to the rating with just you, truck and trailer? If you're talking about short trips from the house to the dock and back probably fine, but if you plan on run around all over the place with weight behind you on the regular I'd look at a Super Duty. Unless of course it's your daily driver in which case lets welcome another variable to the party.

5.4MarkVIII
04-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Already have 2 trips planned this year for the trailer and boat. One to long point (2 hour drive) and one to a lake north of Huntsville.

bluetoy
04-12-2018, 03:44 PM
I have an '18 Crew 6.5' box with sport package, max tow and 20" wheels (which are required for maximum tow rating of 13,200) and it's good to tow 13,200 lbs. Bill has a nice new '18 magma crew sport spec'd with max tow and is good for 13,200 lbs trailer. Max tow requires eco boost and 3.55 gears unless you get max paylaod then you get 18" wheels and no sport r even high level 302A or 502A pkg. If you want 5.0 then no max tow. You can still tow 11,000lbs with a 5.0 in 2018. Max tow Eco boost with 20" wheels has rear gawr of 4050lbs and if you get 18" wheels and no max payload you only get rear gawr of 3800lbs. I have studied the crap out of this. All my numbers are for '18 f150's

I guess that doesn't really help you out. Someone at your dealer was a bit shady. Sucks. Im sure t will tow just fine anyhow. I towed my 38' camper that weighs just over 10,000 lbs with my 09 f150 that was rated for 9600 and payload of only 1333 lbs with no trouble. Are you using Weight dist hitch?

5.4MarkVIII
04-12-2018, 04:38 PM
so spoke with the dealer and he ran some numbers due to being just one year into the lease and the dollar being crap IF ford approves the buy out and refinance I'm looking at taking a hit to the tune of 200 per month more than I'm paying now
unless I can get lease busters to find someone to do a lease take over.

gonna see if I can get the boat out of storage tomorrow so I can get it weighed to find out exactly how much it weighs

Laffs
04-12-2018, 04:41 PM
What type of craft is it?

RedSN
04-12-2018, 05:09 PM
tow the trailer with the F150
tow the boat with the wife's car.

hsousa88
04-12-2018, 07:06 PM

What he said... pics?!?!

5.4MarkVIII
04-12-2018, 08:22 PM

1969 ish Glastron swinger SV 177

fiberglass with a sterndrive she a heavy old girl

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=L8mNphKY&id=FEF54DF3622C96E44ABF0BB0AD0D528A538003C0&thid=OIP.L8mNphKYbLF6eiKrjUbnHgHaF7&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fi.ebayimg.com%2fimages%2fi%2 f291533359645-0-1%2fs-l1000.jpg&exph=576&expw=720&q=1969+glastron+swinger+sv&simid=608035004757311858&selectedIndex=0

5.4MarkVIII
04-12-2018, 08:23 PM
tow the trailer with the F150
tow the boat with the wife's car.

that's an option just would suck to go on a family vacation and make a 7 hour drive in separate vehicles, as well as putting gas in both and paying extra at campgrounds to park the extra truck

bluetoy
04-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Doesn't seem too bad. Maybe 3000 lbs with trailer and loaded with fuel etc. The 1970-73 weighs 1600 lbs the 74 is a little more and the 75 is 2050 lbs. Found that info here. http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Glastron_Boats__Swinger_V__Swinger_V-177/bp/43br1203s14593m13600

1969 Glastron Boats Swinger V-177

This inboard/outboard runabout is 17.33 feet long and weighs 1450 (pounds dry). This weight does not account for passengers, fuel, or gear. The beam of this craft is 84 inches.

Your Glastron fiberglass hulled boat can be kept in better condition by covering it properly when not in use. This will help to prolong its use and resale value. Proper maintenance and care (and winterization if needed) will also help maintain the usability and value of the craft. As engine life also effects the value of a boat, we have included engine information as well.

Information on this page is provided to you as a free service of iboats.com. Because this information has come from many sources we can not guarantee its accuracy. Even if this information is the same as the original factory specs, boats are sometimes modified. Thus, for safety and other reasons, it is a good idea to verify information here to make sure it matches up with your boat. For additional information, we recommend the iboats forums and a boating safety course.

Engine Information:
This boat may have come with the following or other engines :
(In the interest of safety, never exceed the manufacturer's maximum horsepower rating for your boat.)
120 hp
155 hp

ZR
04-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Distance your talking, driving realistically, see no problem.

Laffs
04-12-2018, 10:02 PM
You're fine.

Mellow Yellow
04-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Just traded a 2016 F150 5.0 with 3.31 gears for an '18 with 5.0 and 3.73 gears. Haven't towed anything yet but the truck definitely feel more capable.

5.4MarkVIII
04-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Just traded a 2016 F150 5.0 with 3.31 gears for an '18 with 5.0 and 3.73 gears. Haven't towed anything yet but the truck definitely feel more capable.

What’s the mileage like with the 3:73’s?

I think we decided. Not to trade it into ford would take too much of a hit.

We are gonna throw it at lease busters and if someone snatches it we will upgrade if not we will run it as is.
Dealer said it was no concern for warranty.

My only concern would be the mto.

ZR
04-13-2018, 07:50 AM
MTO end of things.

-do you require truck and trailer(s) to be inspected or does camper mean its exempt?
-does trk require registering for gross wt your towing or does camper again apply?
-same for lic to drive your combo?
-does it make a difference if truck registered personally or to your business?

5.4MarkVIII
04-13-2018, 09:42 AM
That’s what I need to figure out.
Truck is leased by the business

From what I’ve found on line. In the states it would be a big problem. They actually do spot checks on campers. And will make campers go threw the scales on the hwys. If your over weight it’s a big fine

Can’t find info here as to if the mto cares much or does spot checks.

ZR
04-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Registered to business, pretty sure commercial reg changes things, best check to be sure.

Stephen06GT
04-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Please pardon my lack of knowledge regarding this topic as I have never towed anything bigger than a sled trailer, but I was wondering about tow packages. All the talk so far seems to revolve around engine size and gearing, but what about brakes, transmission, and cooling (engine and trans.). Do these things get upgraded when one orders a tow package? Just curious.

Mellow Yellow
04-13-2018, 11:57 AM
What’s the mileage like with the 3:73’s?

I think we decided. Not to trade it into ford would take too much of a hit.

We are gonna throw it at lease busters and if someone snatches it we will upgrade if not we will run it as is.
Dealer said it was no concern for warranty.

My only concern would be the mto.

Not as good as with the 3:31 for sure, but I think the motor still needs a break in period for improved mileage. Currently around 17 to 18 mpg.

But the truck is really peppy and fun to drive particularly in sport mode.

Mellow Yellow
04-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Please pardon my lack of knowledge regarding this topic as I have never towed anything bigger than a sled trailer, but I was wondering about tow packages. All the talk so far seems to revolve around engine size and gearing, but what about brakes, transmission, and cooling (engine and trans.). Do these things get upgraded when one orders a tow package? Just curious.

Stephen the general answer to that is yes.

There are extra coolers in and under the truck, brakes are pretty solid.

While on my trip to Texas I hit the brakes hard (no trailer brake controller at the time) and all wheel s locked properly, but the weight of the trailer pushed her with brakes locked in damp weather. Once we got the controller installed it was a dream to drive with no fears.

5.4MarkVIII
04-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Yes tow raitings are limited by the weakest link.
Manufactures factor in everything. From frame to suspension, breaks transmission, axles and engine output.

And it’s all moot without the proper receiver and just as important ball.
Seen plenty of people with a capable truck and big load and they cheap out on the ball and are towing 6000lbs on a ball raited for 2000lbs.

If there is ever an issue and you cause an accident insurance will ruin your life if your over weight limits.

5.4MarkVIII
04-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Stephen the general answer to that is yes.

There are extra coolers in and under the truck, brakes are pretty solid.

While on my trip to Texas I hit the brakes hard (no trailer brake controller at the time) and all wheel s locked properly, but the weight of the trailer pushed her with brakes locked in damp weather. Once we got the controller installed it was a dream to drive with no fears.

Yes and a Common misconception is that things like air bags, trailer breaks and distribution hitches allow you to two bigger loads. These things make it easer and safer to tow but do not increase your trucks limits.

CDNfyrfytr
04-13-2018, 05:41 PM
From an MTO inspector at the scale, a camping trailer is exempt from the annual inspection as is the truck that tows it. I do not believe anything else falls into that category with the exception of a small single axle boat or utility trailer. Anything with more than one axle with the exception being camping trailers needs an annual sticker and is subject to inspection as is the truck towing it.

Your G class license is good for any combination weighing 11000kgs or less. A D class is good for anything over 11000kgs with a trailer weighing less than 4600kgs. Anything more and you require an A. Any vehicle having air brakes requires a Z endorsement regardless of weight or use.

As for weight limits, you will probably never have an issue in Ontario unless you are involved in an at fault accident. An investigation may find that the fact that you were overweight may have contributed to said accident. In the USA, you may encounter an issue, I have read on other forums of such. That being said, having towed my trailer in quite a few eastern states, I have never been checked nor have I ever spoken to anyone who has or have I seen anyone at a scale or inspection station.

Also are you talking about towing your travel trailer and boat at the same time? I know there are definitely limits on that in the USA especially when using a bumper pull trailer in combination with a second bumper pull. Also in Ontario there are length limits, but I don’t know of anyone being stopped for such.

If you have any weight or use questions I can ask a guy I know who is an MTO inspector.

Also I have a 3.5 boost, max tow 4x4 (second one) and it pulls my 8000lb travel trailer with ease. I pass people pulling up hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
04-14-2018, 08:19 AM
yes will be towing both the boat and trailer at the same time. the whole reason we were so picky with the trailer we got as biased on weight and length too keep us under the total length allowed in Ontario and under what I thought was the weight of the truck

stopped by the storage place yesterday and my boat wont be accessible for at least another two weeks so I can get an accurate weight of it and the trailer

5.4MarkVIII
04-14-2018, 08:40 AM
biased on Glastron's numbers and estimating my boat trailer at a conservative 1000-1500lbs I'm over by between 1500 and 2000lbs that's not an insignificant number lol

03svt
04-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Just trade it in Mkviii, but before you do I’ll take the exhaust :)

5.4MarkVIII
04-14-2018, 09:15 AM
don't have the mark Viii any more but I still do have the exhaust if your interested. as well as the suspension and brand new stearing rack

03svt
04-14-2018, 09:48 AM
I’ll get that stuff out of your way if your giving me the exhaust for the f150

5.4MarkVIII
04-14-2018, 09:56 AM
oh the f150 exhaust lol sorry, thought you meant the mark 8 exhaust

the f150 exhaust will fit the 2018 3.5 its the same part number. but it wont sound nearly as good. ill let you know what happens as it all hinges on lease busters

Speedtospare
04-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Tow package and max tow package, confusion for at least a couple of other buys on the board lately as well. When truck will be used for heavy loads / max effort towning, important to know wts etc and confirm it's equipped with the package you'll need before purchase. In the same breath, how close to max are you going to end up at with both hooked up? Also worth keeping in mind, down a gear and taking it easy will add a whole bunch to whats going to work or not. I'm actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.

Dunno about your truck rick but mine can tow up to 10,500. I did switch to Yokohama geolanders 10 ply. All sway gone and you can pump them up to 80 psi for heavy loads.

Darkhorse
04-14-2018, 11:13 PM
I'm really confused about what you "think" the issue is here. I've read this thread and I think there is a lot of misinformation here.

I've done a ton of research this spring around towing my fully enclosed trailer and making sure I am legal.

I did have a Coyote 5.0 SCREW with tow package (not max tow) and it was fine, but I upgraded to the ECO 3.5 and 10 speed just because I wanted the extra head room.

Under 10,000lbs and if your combined trailer and load on the trailer are under 2800kg or around 6000lbs you don't need anything extra.

Between 11,000 lbs and 13,227 you don't need a driver's license upgrade, but you DO need to yellow sticker your truck and the trailer. You also need to increase the GVWR of the pick-up from the "personal use" 3000kg to the increased about usually 4500 or 5500 kg.

Personal use tops out at 13,227 total combined weight truck and trailer. After that, you need to upgrade your driver's license.

If the OP is just pulling a trailer with a camper, all those rules still apply. If you pull anything with an SUV that is rated for the weight or with an RV, a total exemption applies.

If your truck is rated to pull 8900 lbs, then you are good to 4045kg and I would not think anything you are pulling exceeds that weight. It would be nice to have more headroom in the truck you're pulling with, but you're within limits. My Coyote pulled it fine, but work a bit harder. Max tow package wouldn't be getting you anything extra really except a bunch of trans coolers etc, not more power or higher ratings.

I don't think this should have been the panic you thought it is.

The total cost to me to upgrade to yellow sticker my pick-up, annual sticker the trailer and up the GVWR was about $600.

Darkhorse
04-14-2018, 11:18 PM
Agreed that the hitch and ball need to be up to weights, the princess auto stuff tops at 6000lbs.

any hitch city or other places have stuff that runs 12,000 to 16,000 (overkill) cause no 1/2 ton pick-up can pull more than that.

Also, forgot to mention that when you yellow sticker over 11,000 you are now commercial, but still exempt from scales and the log book.

5.4MarkVIII
04-15-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm really confused about what you "think" the issue is here. I've read this thread and I think there is a lot of misinformation here.

I've done a ton of research this spring around towing my fully enclosed trailer and making sure I am legal.

I did have a Coyote 5.0 SCREW with tow package (not max tow) and it was fine, but I upgraded to the ECO 3.5 and 10 speed just because I wanted the extra head room.

Under 10,000lbs and if your combined trailer and load on the trailer are under 2800kg or around 6000lbs you don't need anything extra.

Between 11,000 lbs and 13,227 you don't need a driver's license upgrade, but you DO need to yellow sticker your truck and the trailer. You also need to increase the GVWR of the pick-up from the "personal use" 3000kg to the increased about usually 4500 or 5500 kg.

Personal use tops out at 13,227 total combined weight truck and trailer. After that, you need to upgrade your driver's license.

If the OP is just pulling a trailer with a camper, all those rules still apply. If you pull anything with an SUV that is rated for the weight or with an RV, a total exemption applies.

If your truck is rated to pull 8900 lbs, then you are good to 4045kg and I would not think anything you are pulling exceeds that weight. It would be nice to have more headroom in the truck you're pulling with, but you're within limits. My Coyote pulled it fine, but work a bit harder. Max tow package wouldn't be getting you anything extra really except a bunch of trans coolers etc, not more power or higher ratings.

I don't think this should have been the panic you thought it is.

The total cost to me to upgrade to yellow sticker my pick-up, annual sticker the trailer and up the GVWR was about $600.

i bought truck mistaking what i asked for and thought i had a 10600lb tow raiting on the truck
i purchased a new trailer factoring in a tow raiting of 10800lbs so that i could put my boat and trailer loaded with all out gear for a week of fun as we do multipule time a year

my total weight of new trailer, boat, water, fuel, passengers and gear puts me at about 10200 lbs

i realised my mistake and that i only have a tow rating of 8600lbs with this truck

means i cant legaly tow everytning all together. as the truck is leased by my business its considered comercial if i ever get caught ove weight the fines arnt insignifigent

Darkhorse
04-15-2018, 10:47 AM
i bought truck mistaking what i asked for and thought i had a 10600lb tow raiting on the truck
i purchased a new trailer factoring in a tow raiting of 10800lbs so that i could put my boat and trailer loaded with all out gear for a week of fun as we do multipule time a year

my total weight of new trailer, boat, water, fuel, passengers and gear puts me at about 10200 lbs

i realised my mistake and that i only have a tow rating of 8600lbs with this truck

means i cant legaly tow everytning all together. as the truck is leased by my business its considered comercial if i ever get caught ove weight the fines arnt insignifigent

Is the weight of what you are pulling behind 10,200 lbs or the combined weight of truck and trailer 10,200 lbs? Meaning just the boat and trailer are 10,200lbs? This must be a pretty big boat?

Darkhorse
04-15-2018, 10:52 AM
The passengers in your truck and load in your truck are not part of the amount you're pulling behind, but does factor into your total combined weight needing to be UNDER 13,227.

That is also why the base personal use on the pick-up of 3000kg would need to be upgraded to 4500 or 5500 once you've weighed everything together including people and load.

Bksrt8
04-15-2018, 11:08 AM
F350 + Powerstroke = good to go. Got money?

In all honesty, my dad and i hauled a 26' Chris Craft with TWIN 318s from whitby harbour to WAYYY up in the muskokas with his 89 4Runner....i mean jesus, i think youre gonna be just fine!! Lol no need to overthink the situation....if god didnt want you to haul heavy shit he wouldnt have invented the 4 way hazard lights!

5.4MarkVIII
04-15-2018, 11:46 AM
the weight pulling behind

travel trailer is 6600. boat is around 1500, boat trailer is somewhere around 1500, plus water, propane tanks, generator, fuel, and all the camping and fishing supplies.

load in the truck dosnt directly effect the weight behind but its related to how much you can pull. more in the truck adds to your combined weight which effects how much you put behind it.

most trucks cant be loaded to max payload and have the max towable hitched behind them as well.

lots of calculaters on line that you can put in all your weights and they will tell you where your over, or how much payload/ tow capacity you have left

priced a superduty and they get crazy quick in terms of price. more money for less options

the 3.5 with max tow is cheaper and better optioned and will two more than I ever plan on throwing at it

Laffs
04-15-2018, 11:52 AM
So you're tandem towing? You want to hook the trailer to the truck, then the boat to the trailer?

Bksrt8
04-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Or wait for the diesel f150. Dodges v6 diesel is a beast. Awesome on fuel, mountains of torque...GM has one in the works so im sure Ford will have one shortly if not already. I hate to break it to yall lol but diesel is likely coming to north america in a big way much the same as in the uk and europe. I for one welcome it....its about bloody time. The small diesels are surpassing similar gas engines in terms of effeciency and power and i honestly cant see a reason NOT to buy one....ok i can, the repair cost. But the little Mercedes diesels and VW diesels have been known to rack up half a million miles with nothing more than oil changes for maintenence.

Just food for thought

Bksrt8
04-15-2018, 12:01 PM
So you're tandem towing? You want to hook the trailer to the truck, then the boat to the trailer?

Hell yea, cottage country B trains!!

ZR
04-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Not a crack at anyone here but, no idea why thats legal, especially given you need zero training.

Laffs
04-15-2018, 03:24 PM
I'd be more concerned with the short wheel base and lower weight on the truck than it's tow capacity in this scenario.

Bksrt8
04-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Not a crack at anyone here but, no idea why thats legal, especially given you need zero training.
Same reason its legal to hand over the keys of a 10,000lb, 26' moving van to somebody who only has a G license thats never driven anything bigger than a Vespa.....its just common sense isnt it? You can drive a vespa, you can drive a huge truck....theres really no difference....they both have tires and a motor right?

Laffs
04-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Same reason its legal to hand over the keys of a 10,000lb, 26' moving van to somebody who only has a G license thats never driven anything bigger than a Vespa.....its just common sense isnt it? You can drive a vespa, you can drive a huge truck....theres really no difference....they both have tires and a motor right?

Staggering difference in dynamics between a moving van and a vehicle with two point of articulation.

Bksrt8
04-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Do you think so?!!

Im fairly aware of that being that i drive tractor/trailers every day.

The point was that people should not be operating vehicles like large moving vans or trailers without SOME kind of training.

Dont think we need to get bogged down with the details.

Laffs
04-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Do you think so?!!

Im fairly aware of that being that i drive tractor/trailers every day.

The point was that people should not be operating vehicles like large moving vans or trailers without SOME kind of training.

Dont think we need to get bogged down with the details.

Needed the sarcasm font then, your post came off like you were of the belief that there was no difference. I agree with you there should be some form of additional qualification or training. What most annoying is the RV's are completely exempt from most the regulations. A guy with an enclosed car trailer needs more paperwork than someone with a 40ft diesel class a and jeep in tow.

Bksrt8
04-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Haha no worries!

5.4MarkVIII
04-15-2018, 07:07 PM

yes.

if it was just the boat or just the trailer it would be fine but then I would have bought a bigger camping trailer lol

5.4MarkVIII
04-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Or wait for the diesel f150. Dodges v6 diesel is a beast. Awesome on fuel, mountains of torque...GM has one in the works so im sure Ford will have one shortly if not already. I hate to break it to yall lol but diesel is likely coming to north america in a big way much the same as in the uk and europe. I for one welcome it....its about bloody time. The small diesels are surpassing similar gas engines in terms of effeciency and power and i honestly cant see a reason NOT to buy one....ok i can, the repair cost. But the little Mercedes diesels and VW diesels have been known to rack up half a million miles with nothing more than oil changes for maintenence.

Just food for thought

one is coming but have not heard the tow rating yet.

I don't have issues with diesel other than cost the problem is our diesel quality is garbage compared to Europe that's why we don't have as many here and the ones we do tend to have a lot of emissions issues brought on by the crappy fuel quality

5.4MarkVIII
04-15-2018, 07:15 PM
grew up on a farm pulling trailers since I could drive a tractor.

regularly haul a trailer for work. can make the work trailer dance.

hauled double last year with no issues and even had about 30 people watch in disbelief when I backed up both the trailer and boat into position and put the boat at the back right where I said I would

but I do agree there should be stricter regulations on trailers in terms of training.

that's why I dislike these back up systems like the ford has. Something I will never use. The sales man offered to show me how to use It. I told him "if you cant back up a trailer, then you should not be pulling a trailer"

bluetoy
04-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Just food for thought

The Diesel F150 is not available with max tow. The payload rating is also much less because they are heavier. Also not available in anything less than a lariat (except fleet) and costs about $7000 more.

Darkhorse
04-15-2018, 09:00 PM
the weight pulling behind

travel trailer is 6600. boat is around 1500, boat trailer is somewhere around 1500, plus water, propane tanks, generator, fuel, and all the camping and fishing supplies.

load in the truck dosnt directly effect the weight behind but its related to how much you can pull. more in the truck adds to your combined weight which effects how much you put behind it.

most trucks cant be loaded to max payload and have the max towable hitched behind them as well.

lots of calculaters on line that you can put in all your weights and they will tell you where your over, or how much payload/ tow capacity you have left

priced a superduty and they get crazy quick in terms of price. more money for less options

the 3.5 with max tow is cheaper and better optioned and will two more than I ever plan on throwing at it

OK. wow. 9600 behind the truck that's rated for 8600 would be a problem yes.

I think in this scenario you just described, you have a bigger issue, with a 5500 lbs truck (give or take what's loaded up in it) you are at 15,100 which is way past the personal use 13,227 so at those weights you would also need a log book and to hit the scales every time.

If you bought a superduty, there are two versions, you can get the lower weight version or the higher one which means you need a yellow sticker regardless of towing anything.

Even if you bought a 3.5 Eco with Max tow, you still have other issues being totally over 13,227 lbs.

Also, if the truck is registered to your business, that also complicates things in terms of personal use, camping, boating, horses, or race cars.

I also refuse to use the back-up system Ford has, seems like a waste of time given how much is involved to set it up, faster to just use your mirrors.

The only suggestion I have is that if you are stuck in your Coyote truck that only pulls 8900 and you're pulling 9600, time for a weight distribution hitch and keep an eye on your trans temp on the screen, but I'm sure the truck could take it a couple summers if you keep fluids clean including trans fluid and coolers. JMO. Maybe do a tune as well for the truck to get a few more hp.

billcaitken
04-16-2018, 02:04 PM
I have an '18 Crew 6.5' box with sport package, max tow and 20" wheels (which are required for maximum tow rating of 13,200) and it's good to tow 13,200 lbs. Bill has a nice new '18 magma crew sport spec'd with max tow and is good for 13,200 lbs trailer. Max tow requires eco boost and 3.55 gears unless you get max paylaod then you get 18" wheels and no sport r even high level 302A or 502A pkg. If you want 5.0 then no max tow. You can still tow 11,000lbs with a 5.0 in 2018. Max tow Eco boost with 20" wheels has rear gawr of 4050lbs and if you get 18" wheels and no max payload you only get rear gawr of 3800lbs. I have studied the crap out of this. All my numbers are for '18 f150's

I guess that doesn't really help you out. Someone at your dealer was a bit shady. Sucks. Im sure t will tow just fine anyhow. I towed my 38' camper that weighs just over 10,000 lbs with my 09 f150 that was rated for 9600 and payload of only 1333 lbs with no trouble. Are you using Weight dist hitch?

I was waiting for you to respond...LOL

5.4MarkVIII
04-16-2018, 03:28 PM
got it sent to lease busters. will see what happens

so Bill I'm thinking

2018 Supercrew 4x4, Lariat, in lightning blue with the sport appearance, 502A.
want the max tow, power running boards, spray in bed liner, 20 inch painted wheels and the tailgate step

got anything that fits?

Darkhorse
04-16-2018, 04:47 PM

so Bill I'm thinking

want the max tow, power running boards, spray in bed liner, 20 inch painted wheels and the tailgate step

got anything that fits?

I would get longer box for the type of towing you are doing too.

billcaitken
04-17-2018, 09:32 AM

so Bill I'm thinking

got anything that fits?

Like this?
http://heritageford.ca/view/used-2018-ford-f-150-178415/

5.4MarkVIII
04-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Says 5.0. So no max tow package.
Was hoping for just the sport appearance package as oppose to the special addition.

CDNfyrfytr
04-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Bill, he wants this truck[emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180417/4561c2f53d7b05c38bee359d147a5804.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk