PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Backup

Mellow Yellow
04-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Had another major computer issue this week. Have backups but the way the backups are done is a complete then incremental afterwards. When you have a crash the incrementals are useless as they don’t have everything.
So it’s tax time and I have almost 100 returns to re input.

Enough rant.

Question

Who is using cloud backup?
Which one do you recommend?

Are full backups done with cloud backups?

Thanks.

RedSN
04-13-2018, 02:31 PM
We use CrashPlan.

edit: I should say my wife uses CrashPlan. I barely know how our system works, LOL.
edit edit: apparently we are switching to Backblaze.

Laffs
04-13-2018, 03:33 PM
We just use Google Drive. Works well for general office documents and files.

Blackmare
04-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Google drive and one drive here. Does full backups as you work in the cloud environment, and any changes to a file. If a file is deleted locally the files will not delete in the cloud.

Mellow Yellow
04-13-2018, 04:17 PM
I have heard of all of those. Will look into them

My big concern is security as I have a lot of client info including birthdates and Social Insurance Numbers.

dbovine
04-13-2018, 04:42 PM
I actually have 2 drobos in my house. a 5n for my wifes business, and I reconditioned a b1200i that we took out of commission at work. I havent had any issues with them. They can play nice if you take the time to go a little beyond the quick start guides. My plan is to setup basically a home based cloud for my families devices rather than going to apples. Another company to watch out for, is a company called 45drives out of Halifax apparently they are coming out with a desktop style NAS which should be pretty cool and competitively priced. We are using the Storinators at work now.
For basic documents, files etc or stuff I reference a lot on the go, I use my google drive and dropbox. All of the MCONO stuff resides on dropbox, while all my coaching and personal stuff is on Google drive (ie All my eggs, not in one basket). But the rule of three is the best options for backups. 1) original, 2)local backup, 3)off site backup. So a basic way to cover the last two is an external drive and cloud.

dbovine
04-13-2018, 04:44 PM
I have heard of all of those. Will look into them

My big concern is security as I have a lot of client info including birthdates and Social Insurance numbers.

Services such as Dropbox offer a more business/secure option and there are literally tons out there.

FoxRod
04-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Iron Mountain...