PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle off?

DinoZ
04-22-2018, 10:43 AM
2007 gt convertible. Last year I had installed lowered springs, adjustable Panhard etc..

Drives well but a friend noticed that driver side rear wheel sticks out past fender slightly while passenger side wheel is slightly tucked in, I would say 1/2” on either side.

I never noticed, is this an issue other than it should be rectified ?

ZR
04-22-2018, 10:52 AM
Adjustable bar gives you the ability to correct (assuming of course it's diff off center vs issue with 1/4 panels). While it may have been done when springs installed, even small settling can see it go off kilter. Part of why I always suggest driving for at least a few days after springs installed before hitting align shop.

DinoZ
04-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Thanks ZR, ok so is this something I can adjust via the Panhards adjustability or is this something I should bring to the alignment shop?

ZR
04-22-2018, 11:00 AM
If you can reach it, no reason not to measure / adjust yourself. Most accurate is off the chassis but for bulk of folks, centered in fender wheels is what they are after. Plum bob and a tape measure off the 1/4 panel and your good to go.
Pay special attention to getting the jam nuts tight, recheck in 100kms (odd time them come loose).

DinoZ
04-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Thank you ZR, much appreciated

Ponyryd
04-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Adjusting the panhard bar should always be done with the suspension loaded at ride height. So if you have ramps, drive up on them, if you have a jack and stands, place them under the axle tubes as close to the tires as possible. Usually I just eyeball the adjustments, or go by fingers instead of a tape, but either way works. As stated, the jam nuts need to be quite tight, and its A good idea to draw a line from the nut to the turnbuckle in a bright colour so you can just take a knee and see if they’ve moved as opposed to checking with a wrench.

DinoZ
04-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Good point about the line marker, I typically do this on my bikes so continue the good practice. Thanks Pony