View Full Version : Woman arrested for being Canadian.

Armen
05-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Well, driving in Georgia with a Ontario driver’s license.

https://youtu.be/t6ZuZD8_mFQ

Laffs
05-07-2018, 01:45 PM
This is always one of my concerns when driving down south. They were trying to make Canadians get a special permit or license to drive down in Florida a while back but it got shelved indefinitely. Nothing will happen to that cop I'm sure, thankfully she is getting the charges dropped and removed but I highly doubt the state of Georgia will go much further than that.

newbiestangowner
05-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Wow- I pass through there a lot for universal/ disney for the kids- good thing we had Hard copies of passports with us :thumbsup: never had a problem.
I can some what see her claim that canadians may be targeted- speed of traffic was travelling faster than speed limit- got passed by New York, Virginia etc,
but I was the one stopped by radar trap.

RedSN
05-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Out of state plates have always been easy pickin's for troopers. Wondering what actually lead to her ending up in cuffs?

R3troGT
05-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Sounds like an income source for the Sheriffs Office to me.

Impounding the car is one thing, but to arrest and jail someone for this is ludicrous.

Old Fart
05-07-2018, 03:41 PM
But this is only one side of the story...

Laffs
05-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Out of state plates have always been easy pickin's for troopers. Wondering what actually lead to her ending up in cuffs?

Going 87 in a 70 doesn't really beget a great outcome from the onset.

92redragtop
05-07-2018, 06:29 PM
I wonder if this is a state with privatized jail and prison systems - that plus the bailiff system is setup/incentivized to funnel people through it for revenue purposes. They've had cases in some states where judges were monetizing sending juveniles through the system because it had an impact on their campaigns and pocket books.

Darkhorse
05-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Isn't this just get an International Driver's license from CAA before you go and you're good? I did that when I had to rent a car in Italy once.

83 5.0
05-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Canadians have been arm twisted for years over traffic violations at least for 50-60 years, their methods are always puzzling to me.
Trump and these bogus situations, Isn't slowing the number of Canadian tourists to the usa
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/worldpolitics/despite-donald-trump-canadians-are-still-flocking-to-america/

Stephen06GT
05-07-2018, 08:40 PM
Out of state plates have always been easy pickin's for troopers...

My one and only ticket came in Michigan back in the early 80. Southbound on I75 and a northbound trooper came across the median an pulled me over. He said I was going 67 in a 55 zone.( the limit back then was still 55mph) I was sitting in the front seat of the cruiser as cars went by at the same speed or more that I got pulled over for. Then came the schpeal, "you can come down right now to the court house and settle it there, you can come back at a later date for a trial, or you can pay the fine right now". I asked how much the fine was and he said "$40.00". I said "I don't have 40 US dollars". He said "It's $40.00!!" So I go back to my car and my sister says "what does he want?" So I told her. I went back to the cruiser and gave him $20 US and $20 Canadian, and we were on our way.

mavrrrick
05-08-2018, 08:55 AM
As long as they don't drag you out of the car and say "do a little spin for daddy", I'm ok...lol

ZR
05-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Some years back coming home from the Gator Nationals with Dad, got pulled out of a pack of mid speed traffic and ticketed for faster vs what I was travelling in Lexington Kentucky. Would have given a whole bunch to have been able to wipe that smug grin off his face.
Canadian vehicles with DRLs make us an uber easy target.

ZR
05-08-2018, 09:16 AM
As for what happened to that women, based on the information we have, ridiculous it was taken that far, especially given the officer was dead nutz wrong.

ZR
05-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Oh and yes it happens here in Canada as well. Last sled ride in Quebec, stopped by police on the trail for a check of paperwork and sled compliance. No biggy until officer decided the custom sled registration numbers (of which are 100% legit here in Ontario) are not legal in Quebec. He further decided my Ontario insurance information was not ok either and was prepared to take things further if I could not produce valid Quebec insurance. When you purchase a permit in Quebec, it comes with enough liability insurance to ride their trails but if you are from out of province and already have valid insurance, you can apply for a (I think) $40 rebate. Looked like too much of a hassle to fill out paperwork and track refund so I hadn't bothered. Slip had fallen out of my folder n was in the bottom of my dash bag so able to make him happy with that, let me go with a "stern" warning not to return to Quebec unless I have the original Ontario number plate on my sled (in a position that is illegal in Ontario).
Bright sunny day riding with a grin from ear to ear, saw he had peeps pulled over so without even his having to signal pulled over, removed my helmet and started to get my paperwork out. Did nothing but be polite and try to reason / explain the Ontario number requirements but he was aggressive from the get go and at least two or three times cautioned me that not co operating with a police officer is arrestable.
Dude is a credit to his profession and tourism Quebec.

ZR
05-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Been stopped by both trail patrol and police officers in Quebec a couple or three other times this season. Same sled, same paperwork, totally opposite experience. A shame it has to be like that.

Harbinger
05-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Been stopped by both trail patrol and police officers in Quebec a couple or three other times this season. Same sled, same paperwork, totally opposite experience. A shame it has to be like that.Your story sits in line with with a myriad of complaints I have read about and heard about concerning the questionable overzealous attitude of Quebec police.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ZR
05-08-2018, 10:56 AM
I'm not so sure it doesn't happen to out of towners pretty much everywhere. Making my vehicle blend in is why I originally started disabling DRL's on any vehicle I used for US travel.

fast Ed
05-08-2018, 03:14 PM
Or just drive with your full lighting on, and they won't know if you have DRLs ... I often do that when on a highway trip regardless of weather conditions.

cheers
Ed