PDA

View Full Version : Straightening a cast aluminium rim - safe?

92redragtop
05-07-2018, 07:58 PM
We have an 18 inch cash aluminium/polished rim on the Cadillac that went through a pothole in Bolton sometime last week (wife can't remember when/where) but the Michelin Run Flat held the air and did not trigger any TPMS warnings - even though the rubber outer sidewall near the rim split open. Took it to the dealer today to get it checked (alignment, etc) and they said the rim was also damaged and needed to be replaced (no visual damage to rim but I guess the vibration is noticeable when balancing).

They said it wasn't safe to try to straighten the rim because it's cast aluminium. I've had a few Volvo rims repaired in the past with no issues but they were forged as far as I know.

Anyone run into or hear of issues with straightening cast aluminium rims?

5.4MarkVIII
05-07-2018, 08:32 PM
as long as its not cracked it should be okay but should defiantly be done by a professional. not a mechanic but an actual wheel repair shop.

from what I remember one factory rim can cost as much as a set of aftermarkets.

Ponyryd
05-07-2018, 08:50 PM
They get straightened all the time, why would a cast wheel be not safe to repair?

5.4MarkVIII
05-07-2018, 09:04 PM
cus they want to sell him another rim for $1500. lol

Laffs
05-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Take it to a specialty wheel shop not a dealer. My understanding is if the bend isn't to great you can heat and reshape the wheel but if it's truely large damage you risk really weakening the structure of the wheel.

Scrape
05-07-2018, 09:32 PM
These guys are great! I used them and they came highly recommended by Pffaf Porsche and Pffaf Audi.

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12452&d=1525287573

92redragtop
05-07-2018, 09:34 PM
cus they want to sell him another rim for $1500. lol

I'm sure this was it - tires are worn but might last the summer. They recommended new rim plus 4 RF tires at $300 each.

5.4MarkVIII
05-08-2018, 07:34 AM
I'm sure this was it - tires are worn but might last the summer. They recommended new rim plus 4 RF tires at $300 each.

worse case check with an auto wrecker, might be able to locate a match without breaking the bank

ZR
05-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Best to have the rim repair shop view to give an opinion as to repairable or not.

92redragtop
05-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the inputs - I took the wheel to a place (Precision Rim Repair) that's not too far from my office and they quoted $175 to straighten it. It is cast aluminium and they can heat it "gently" and use a press to straighten it. I'll give Leprecan a call and try to get there tomorrow so they can look at it.

Quicksilver
05-08-2018, 05:23 PM
I'm having 4 rims re-polished and clear coated at Carcone's in Stouffville. Turns out one rim is slightly damaged. They are fixing it for free. They tell me there are usually no consequences to doing this. My son had a rim fixed by them about 8 years ago and it was fine.

As far as reputation goes, Bill at Heritage uses them all the time.