PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else?

stangstevers
05-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Just so tired of pumping gas? Not sure what wires got crossed in my brain again but the fact that I need to fill up my Edge at least once a week is bugging the crap out of me. I suspect the governments are dumping more ethanol into the mix rendering the fuel less effective and all the while charging more for it in taxes. I'm reaching a boiling point. Got rid of the F150 because I felt stupid driving a V8 4x4 truck on the highway but also HATE FWD cars and settled for an Edge. Now I'm learning to get over myself and just bite the bullet and buy a honda civic sized Hybrid like a Volt. Slowly convincing my wife because in the process I need to sell the Fusion so we can keep the SUV for bad weather and pull a small trailer. She said to sell all my Mustang stuff and buy a Tesla Model S but I want a car I won't care about to hit the 401 traffic (hopefully not literally).

Anyway, I HATE going to the pumps. I feel like I shouldn't be doing this anymore in 2018 and spending near $500 a month to burn dead dinosaurs just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm turning into a pinko liberal moron but whatever... The time I waste at the pumps, I could be ranting online LMAO.

Cheers y'all!

5.4MarkVIII
05-15-2018, 07:27 AM
one day couple weeks ago in my work edge in the am, Empty $80 fill.

then had to do a delivery so jumped in the delivery truck, Empty $120 fill

then after supper took the young lad to beavers jumped in the wife's truck, Empty, $140 fill

not an up lifting thing

Armen
05-15-2018, 07:37 AM
I traded in my truck too. Loved it but I'm not paying $800/m for my commute. I will miss the times it came in handy but not at these prices (and what they may become).

I got a Ford EcoSport SES AWD with the 2.0L.

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12595&d=1526384206

Harbinger
05-15-2018, 07:41 AM
Just so tired of pumping gas? Not sure what wires got crossed in my brain again but the fact that I need to fill up my Edge at least once a week is bugging the crap out of me. I suspect the governments are dumping more ethanol into the mix rendering the fuel less effective and all the while charging more for it in taxes. I'm reaching a boiling point. Got rid of the F150 because I felt stupid driving a V8 4x4 truck on the highway but also HATE FWD cars and settled for an Edge. Now I'm learning to get over myself and just bite the bullet and buy a honda civic sized Hybrid like a Volt. Slowly convincing my wife because in the process I need to sell the Fusion so we can keep the SUV for bad weather and pull a small trailer. She said to sell all my Mustang stuff and buy a Tesla Model S but I want a car I won't care about to hit the 401 traffic (hopefully not literally).

Anyway, I HATE going to the pumps. I feel like I shouldn't be doing this anymore in 2018 and spending near $500 a month to burn dead dinosaurs just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm turning into a pinko liberal moron but whatever... The time I waste at the pumps, I could be ranting online LMAO.

Cheers y'all!The Tesla is still a waste of money... to save gas the return would take years by then it'll most likely start breaking down and costing more. At least that's how I see it.

Maybe change driving habits and see if that helps. I started to drive my Camry like a grand pa since my last fill. No sudden acceleration, gradual. No hard breaking. Not letting rpm rise past 2k when accelerating etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

stangstevers
05-15-2018, 07:51 AM
I get 9.6L/100km on the highway in the Edge, at most I see 10.4 when not being super careful (12 if doing illegal driving lol). I'd say I'm pretty good at "hypermiling" but the tank is so small in the thing and I'm not seeing it as a "cost to commute" anymore, I think that's where my issue stems from. It's more of a tax than anything and I know the governments are into taxing to change behaviour and it's working for me. As for ROI, you're dead on. It will take years to break even. But betting on fuel prices to increase over time is a solid bet and will reduce the time for the ROI to happen.

As for Tesla, I agree. It's not about saving money or going "green". It's a status symbol, much like a used Audi R8 would be (roughly same cost). With a lease starting at 1200/month. You need to commute at least 200km /day for it to make "sense" and even then, there's no getting around the fact that a Bolt can do the same job for less than half the money.

Armen, that Escape looks killer! Those wheels look aftermarket.

Armen
05-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Armen, that Escape looks killer! Those wheels look aftermarket.

It's actually an EcoSport - based off the Fiesta. I drove an Escape too but the Ecosport seems to have a taller door frame and was easier for me to get in and out of. The wheels are standard on the SES package.

StAnger
05-15-2018, 07:59 AM
one day couple weeks ago in my work edge in the am, Empty $80 fill.

then had to do a delivery so jumped in the delivery truck, Empty $120 fill

then after supper took the young lad to beavers jumped in the wife's truck, Empty, $140 fill

not an up lifting thing

But according to the Twat Waffle in Ottawa, it's "Exactly what Canadians want".

stangstevers
05-15-2018, 08:13 AM
LOL I heard that... He was talking about BC though, didn't they vote NDP... so I think he's not wrong about people wanting more taxes lol

hsousa88
05-15-2018, 08:14 AM
My ram is pretty thirsty.. I’m lucky enough to work close to home so it’s not so bad. Fill up every 9-10 days when I’m just putting around the city. If I could get the same towing performance from a small suv I would think about switching it up.

stangstevers
05-15-2018, 08:15 AM
It's actually an EcoSport - based off the Fiesta. I drove an Escape too but the Ecosport seems to have a taller door frame and was easier for me to get in and out of. The wheels are standard on the SES package.

Sorry, EcoSport. must have some pep... 2.0 EB in that should be fun. My wife's 1.5 (or 1.6) Fusion has some good pep to it.

ZR
05-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Mine is pretty decent on fuel (ok so maybe only when I opt outta countless auto starts both winter and summer) but of course I'd love it just that much more if it used less. Regardless, need a truck for work and hobbies so it is what it is. I do make a point of driving the truck extra easy to conserve, once in the car, impossible to care less about fuel cost.

Laffs
05-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Nope, every time I fill up I think about how I'm supporting hard working people in the oil industry and also makes me glad they haven't stopped me from being able to burn fossil fuels for fun.

RedSN
05-15-2018, 08:43 AM
I HATE going to the pumps. I feel like I shouldn't be doing this anymore in 2018 and spending near $500 a month to burn dead dinosaurs just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm turning into a pinko liberal moron but whatever... The time I waste at the pumps, I could be ranting online LMAO.
Maybe those guys on road bikes aren't so crazy after all? :shrug:

Or maybe you just need auxiliary tanks a la Mad Max.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/roadwarrior/images/7/72/Mad-max-interceptor-at-scrap-yard-rear.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150130111149

stangstevers
05-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Nope, I may join 'em... I used to bike to work when I lived in Toronto. Didn't even own a car or had a parking spot. I never saved up so much money before LMAO.

Ponyryd
05-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Fuel was 135 last night, I got pissed and had a little fit. We don’t live far from work really but it’s still 20 min each way and the fuel costs add up quick. My old cr-v isn’t very good (I drive like an asshole tho) and she has a 16 Cherokee which isn’t great either, but not bad, around 11L. Although we’re in the process of upgrading to a Grand Cherokee as we need more room due to the family, but a minivan is out of the question!
So I suppose I’m not so much sick of filling up, just sick of paying retarded money.....even worse when the us is so close and the fuel is comparatively cheap.

83 5.0
05-15-2018, 09:13 PM
If you are thinking Hybrid, my company 2012 Prius V averages 5.5-6 l, and I always drive at 120 km hr. Almost 300000 km on it, only have done Brakes, Tires and oil changes

fast Ed
05-15-2018, 09:27 PM
Sorry, EcoSport. must have some pep... 2.0 EB in that should be fun. My wife's 1.5 (or 1.6) Fusion has some good pep to it.

EcoSport AWD comes with the NA 2.0L, same engine as current base Focus. EcoSport FWD is coming with the 1.0L EB 3 cylinder.

Mustang4
05-15-2018, 11:03 PM
I traded in my truck too. Loved it but I'm not paying $800/m for my commute. I will miss the times it came in handy but not at these prices (and what they may become).

I got a Ford EcoSport SES AWD with the 2.0L.

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12595&d=1526384206

Nice looking ride. We have a 2015 Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost and find it a great little vehicle with not bad space for hauling something.

Boomer
05-16-2018, 10:56 AM
EcoSport FWD is coming with the 1.0L EB 3 cylinder.

Whaaat????? That will be interesting...way of the future I guess. Amazing to see some of the newer small cars coming with tiny little motors. Just like in Europe...LOL.

Armen
05-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Yup, mine's the 2.0L n/a from the Focus. Decent acceleration off the line and quite zippy around town. Decent passing power too. But for regular driving on the 400 series highways and merging etc, it's very surprising. I can zip along in this at 120-130km/h and there are zero issues. Very capable. It's also lot of fun to drive because it feels so light and is so easy to see around.

RedSN
05-16-2018, 03:37 PM
^^^better? or worse? than the Cube?

Armen
05-16-2018, 04:07 PM
^^^better? or worse? than the Cube?

Headroom was excellent in the Cube and this is almost as good. Cube had rear side-swing hatch and so does the EcoSport (I find them convenient and less likely to smash my head).

I had to make the seats in the Cube more supportive and the suspension more firm. The EcoSport SES comes with slightly firmer tuned suspension and very comfortable and supportive seats. The SES gets a specific copper accent package that looks pretty cool and overall comes very nicely equipped - moonroof, heated seats, Sync 3 with Sync Connect (can lock/unlock/start car from Ford Connect App on phone) and ambient lighting. I also added the Cold Weather Pkg which gives you a heated steering wheel, floor liners and windshield wiper de-icer. The Cube interior was pretty basic.

I did some wheels/body stuff to the Cube to make it sportier. The SES package comes with the nice darked out 17" wheels and dark-out grille and headlight bezels. I think it looks really sharp, especially in black. The SES has the 6spd Select Shift auto with paddle shifters and zips along on the highway very nicely, whereas the Cube's manual transmission was pretty buzzy at higher speeds.

The EcoSport SES has a 166hp 2.0L and seems very peppy around town and at highway speeds. The Cube had 122hp and was what it was.

The Ecosport SES has standard automatic all wheel drive. The Cube didn't have that option.

The EcoSport sits a little higher and has really impressive ground clearance for the size of the vehicle. It's easy to get in and out of and overall is just a fun little SUV. Getting in and out of the Cube wasn't bad at all, but the EcoSport has a slightly higher seating position so it's a bit easier to get in and out of.

The Cube was a bit of an experiment. It was fun for a while and I don't regret trying it out. But the EcoSport is an all around better daily driver (and it should be, it's almost 10 model years newer) and so far, I'm really enjoying it.

83 5.0
05-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Lol, I remember the write up of your Cube in the Star.

Armen
05-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Lol, I remember the write up of your Cube in the Star.

:)

https://www.wheels.ca/news/budget-mods-round-out-nissan-cube/

StAnger
05-18-2018, 10:23 AM
If I had an extra $2200 kicking around, I'd pick this propane powered beauty up.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/n1UAAOSwMm1a9jff/$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/markham-york-region/1983-ford-ltd/1354272036