PDA

View Full Version : Alerts on your phone, possible to shut off?

ZR
05-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Galaxy S7 on Fido, anyone found a work around to shut alerts off?

Laffs
05-15-2018, 08:11 AM
You talking about the Amber alerts or just plain old push notifications?

hsousa88
05-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Assuming your talking about the amber/emergency alerts I don’t think there’s a way to disable it.

stangstevers
05-15-2018, 08:16 AM
If it helps people, I don't see too much of an issue. But once crashes start happening because of this, can we collectively sue the government?

ZR
05-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Yes amber alerts.
Must be a way or perhaps some phones are not geared to accept. In line ordering lunch, out of a solid line of peeps only mine and one other persons received it.

True Blue
05-15-2018, 08:21 AM
Yes you can turn off the Amber alert alarm and/or vibration.

I found how to do it yesterday. Android based phones, click on text message icon, go into your message settings, scroll for emergency alerts, click to disable alarm and/or vibration. Now you'll only receive a displayed message, nothing else.

ZR
05-15-2018, 08:23 AM
You Sir are a rock star. Phoned Fido, told there is no way to shut off, found menu you suggested n turned off.

RedSN
05-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Yes you can turn off the Amber alert alarm and/or vibration.

Interesting to see if that works because I read up on this yesterday.
From what I understand, the way that Alert Ready operates (in the States anyway) is there are 3 levels of alerts: amber alerts, extreme threats and severe threats, presidential alerts. You can modify or disable the first two, but you can't disable "presidential alerts". Here in Canada, the wonderful CRTC set the level for ALL alerts as "presidential", so you can't disable it.

https://www.alertready.ca/

Darkhorse
05-15-2018, 08:52 AM
I have two phones, one work and one personal, neither got these amber updates yesterday, but my other family phones did.

Just noticed on the personal android, I had the broadcast messages set to off.

5.4MarkVIII
05-15-2018, 09:02 AM
I always keep my iPhone on silent anyway. When the alert came threw it only vibrates.

True Blue
05-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Interesting to see if that works because I read up on this yesterday.
From what I understand, the way that Alert Ready operates (in the States anyway) is there are 3 levels of alerts: amber alerts, extreme threats and severe threats, presidential alerts. You can modify or disable the first two, but you can't disable "presidential alerts". Here in Canada, the wonderful CRTC set the level for ALL alerts as "presidential", so you can't disable it.

https://www.alertready.ca/

As you mentioned I've noticed those options on my friend's Galaxy S7. With my phone I'm able to turn off the emergency alert broadcasts, alarm sound and vibrate. Guess we'll see when the next Amber alert happens. What I've been reading a lot of people are pissed as to how the alert was handled yesterday.

RedSN
05-15-2018, 09:33 AM
a lot of people are pissed as to how the alert was handled yesterday.
It was a total fail. We were promised that the alert system would be regional (i.e. broadcast to only the people in the region affected by the emergency). We were promised that it would only be used for real emergencies (sorry if I sound insensitive, but this was NOT an emergency). And why the hell were there three emergency alerts? An alert to tell you the alert is no longer an alert? A second french alert? Each with the same panic alert level as an imminent nuclear attack!? FAIL

IanGTCS
05-15-2018, 09:34 AM
I have two phones, one work and one personal, neither got these amber updates yesterday, but my other family phones did.

Just noticed on the personal android, I had the broadcast messages set to off.

My work iphone on telus got the amber alert (as well as dozens of weather network copies of the amber alert) while my personal android phone on kodoo (so telus) only got the weather network version.

I think the overall idea of forced alerts for certain things is very useful - for example tornado warning for a certain area, amber alerts for a certain area etc. However getting an amber alert for Thunder Bay while I'm in Burlington isn't the most useful. Hopefully they get the system sorted out quickly and make the notifications more localized.

True Blue
05-15-2018, 09:41 AM
https://globalnews.ca/news/4206863/amber-alert-canada-mobile-alert-system/

92redragtop
05-15-2018, 11:26 AM
I have to check the settings on my phones - the Blackberry (Rogers) had display plus alarm but the iPhone (Fido - so Rogers) was display only/no sound.

Biz
05-15-2018, 12:52 PM
I received it 4x yesterday (Rogers iPhone 8).
I have no problem with amber alerts but it overrides the audio you're listening too and the warning tone is 50DB louder than what your listening to.
That's a problem.
In the USA you can turn them off in notifications. but not in the bubble country Canada.
By the 2nd one I was over it and ignored the other 2.
That's the problem this system is going to cause.
I also believe it should be location based.
Not sure how when I'm in Sarnia what chance I will have of finding a kid missing in Thunder Bay.

Mustang4
05-19-2018, 10:53 PM
No alerts on my Blackberry