View Full Version : Depression - a couple high profile suicides this week. RIP

92redragtop
06-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Both fairly young....RIP. It appears both had their fights with depression (and for Bourdain, he was just coming off a spat with "Newfies").

Anthony Bourdain
Kate Spade

RedSN
06-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Obviously I had heard of both of those names, but I had never actually sat down and watched one of Bourdain's shows up until last weekend. Weird coincidence.

ZR
06-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Professional help is ridiculously difficult to access in this province. All too often even family doc will not play it forward n just tell you to suck it up.

92redragtop
06-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Obviously I had heard of both of those names, but I had never actually sat down and watched one of Bourdain's shows up until last weekend. Weird coincidence.

I don't know much about his career as a top chef but I have heard of him over the past couple decades and started watching the show last year from a foodie/culture perspective (eg. Tuesday I mentioned the French island off the coast of NFLD - I didn't know about that before his recent NFLD show...I guess you can learn things from TV).

Kate Spade was on a couple podcasts recently about the business/brand she built, selling it, and starting/building another company/brand. Didn't know much about her before that but surprised about this given her tenacity in building the Kate Spade brand.

RedSN
06-08-2018, 10:12 AM
(eg. Tuesday I mentioned the French island off the coast of NFLD - I didn't know about that before his recent NFLD show...I guess you can learn things from TV).
Yet you still can't remember their names, LOL.

Saint Pierre and Miquelon

92redragtop
06-08-2018, 10:14 AM

LOL yeah - I know where they are relative to NFLD and how to get there but I cannot remember their names. Thanks for the reminder...it'll stick eventually!

Burns
06-08-2018, 11:40 AM

My Dad was born on Miquelon and we still have relatives that live there. Growing up in NL we used to visit a couple of times a year.

A unique place to visit for sure if you ever get the chance. Al Capone once had a base of operations there during prohibition and it was rumored that someone took a shot at him while visiting.

92redragtop
06-08-2018, 12:18 PM
My Dad was born on Miquelon and we still have relatives that live there. Growing up in NL we used to visit a couple of times a year.

A unique place to visit for sure if you ever get the chance. Al Capone once had a base of operations there during prohibition and it was rumored that someone took a shot at him while visiting.

Now that I am aware of these islands after Bourdain's show I will add them to my itinerary as a side trip when we visit NFLD.

R3troGT
06-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Loved
Bourdain's shows. Been watching them for a long time.

RIP

ALLKHEINZ
06-08-2018, 02:26 PM
my comment is that i refuse to comment on this because my views will cause a shiat storm as always....lol. but RIP none the less.

bluetoy
06-08-2018, 05:35 PM
my comment is that i refuse to comment on this because my views will cause a shiat storm as always....lol. but RIP none the less.

I think I'm with you.

83 5.0
06-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Hard to believe that people you think have it made, have their struggles.
Enjoyed Bourdains show when I got a chance to watch it.
Kate spade my wife and daughter were very familiar with.

StAnger
06-09-2018, 01:07 AM
Depression is an awful thing to deal with.

Screw
06-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Ya it’s faked up , things /events in life can lead to spirals....so wouldn’t be quick to judge and the “suck it up” is bs .

StAnger
06-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Depression is a biological response to scarcity. When prey/food was unavailable/scarce it made biologic sense to hunker down in the back of the cave and go into power save mode. Heading out of the cave when the storm crisis passed (physical activity) was most likely to reverse the condition.

While anti depressants have their place I think forcing yourself into physical activity has the best shot of recovery. Of course this is the last time you feel like doing so.

Who hasn't had a low spot in their life? I sure have. Life is an ebb and flow.

I'd force myself into physical activity, but I'd be trading one type of pain for another.

That and interacting with the people in my Shit Hole city is not something I care to do.

92redragtop
06-11-2018, 12:52 AM
Depression is a biological response to scarcity. When prey/food was unavailable/scarce it made biologic sense to hunker down in the back of the cave and go into power save mode. Heading out of the cave when the storm crisis passed (physical activity) was most likely to reverse the condition.

While anti depressants have their place I think forcing yourself into physical activity has the best shot of recovery. Of course this is the last time you feel like doing so.

Who hasn't had a low spot in their life? I sure have. Life is an ebb and flow.

Does that mean athletes who engage in a lot of physical activity by default do not suffer from depression? Some of us have different cholesterol or insulin levels (assuming that aspect of science is accepted) so it's not unusual that we also have different chemical imbalances in other areas from person to person that can have additional leverage on high's/lows.