PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight and dyno numbers...

Stephen06GT
06-12-2018, 08:53 PM
So, you want to put a set of 20s on your new ride? This might make you change your mind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MUnG5hrEEI

Minaccia
06-12-2018, 09:06 PM
When I went to see Lidio for my tune last spring he had mentioned that the 20" wheels and the 4:10 gears would show less RWHP numbers but I didn't care as long as the numbers were there on the time slip is all that matters. My last tune was done on the street only it didn't even go near a dyno, that's the future my friends and it's here plus the 6R80 and 10R80 can only be tuned on the street..

Bksrt8
06-15-2018, 01:29 PM
When I went to see Lidio for my tune last spring he had mentioned that the 20" wheels and the 4:10 gears would show less RWHP numbers but I didn't care as long as the numbers were there on the time slip is all that matters. My last tune was done on the street only it didn't even go near a dyno, that's the future my friends and it's here plus the 6R80 and 10R80 can only be tuned on the street..My Grand Prix was tuned on the street....in 2008! Thats nothing new lol

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

ZR
06-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Interesting.

cf105arrow
06-16-2018, 09:19 AM
That’s interesting. I wonder though how fast the turn around was though between pulls. Cooler engine on the first pull versus a heat soaked engine on the second. I know my car (‘09) loses some power if it gets too hot. I’m not doubting that there is a difference with the two wheel weights but I am wondering if all factors were similar going into the second pull.

Stephen06GT
06-16-2018, 10:40 AM
That’s interesting. I wonder though how fast the turn around was though between pulls. Cooler engine on the first pull versus a heat soaked engine on the second. I know my car (‘09) loses some power if it gets too hot. I’m not doubting that there is a difference with the two wheel weights but I am wondering if all factors were similar going into the second pull.

If they drove the car to the dyno then it was already hot for the first pull. We don’t know every detail so if we just look at the wheels as the only change, then yes there was quite a drop in power.

FABMAN
06-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Good post Stephen! I read about this while I was looking for wheels for my current Gt.

This was one of the factors in helping me decide to stay with a 19” setup (that is lighter than stock). Unsprung weight is the enemy if you are looking for performance (especially if you like to road course).

There a reason Ford uses 19” on its current s550 and s197 top performers (I.e Gt350, boss 302, performance pack cars, etc...)

bluetoy
06-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Interesting yes but slightly misleading. Inertia dyno will show a large change in Whp with heavier/lighter wheels however a load based dyno will not show a change at all or much lower of a change. Since inertia dynos seem to be more common for bragging rights throw on a set of ultra light wheels. Won't change how much power your engine produces though.

FABMAN
06-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Interesting yes but slightly misleading. Inertia dyno will show a large change in Whp with heavier/lighter wheels however a load based dyno will not show a change at all or much lower of a change. Since inertia dynos seem to be more common for bragging rights throw on a set of ultra light wheels. Won't change how much power your engine produces though.

Although true, unsprung weight is the enemy of performance. Cars will always perform better when paired with proper lighter wheels.

newbiestangowner
06-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Although true, unsprung weight is the enemy of performance. Cars will always perform better when paired with proper lighter wheels.

All I know is once I changed my factories to forgestar car felt better, hp or placebo I don’t know lol
I’m gonna change my spoiler out for more downforce lol which in my mind will equate to increase “ usable horse power” lol oh the idiosyncrasies of a mustang owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickD
06-17-2018, 04:16 PM
I’m gonna change my spoiler out for more downforce lol which in my mind will equate to increase “ usable horse power” lol oh the idiosyncrasies of a mustang owner

I got a sneak peak of Ron's new spoiler
Have to say I don't get these road course junkies
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180617/7b0e813f98c2cf6551e5f8a98f7dc98a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

newbiestangowner
06-17-2018, 04:32 PM
I got a sneak peak of Ron's new spoiler
Have to say I don't get these road course junkies
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180617/7b0e813f98c2cf6551e5f8a98f7dc98a.jpg

LMAO
Increased downforce Baby!!
Maybe I’ll be able to tame all my hp and be able to put the power down.

NickD
06-17-2018, 04:38 PM
LMAO
Increased downforce Baby!!
Maybe I’ll be able to tame all my hp and be able to put the power down.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDon't know a thing about it, I have a 3v...

newbiestangowner
06-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Little deceiving don’t you think, i find out the hard way looking at the rear end badge as you pull away.
That’s ok maybe not much longer (wink wink)