PDA

View Full Version : Now I’m pissed

1986stangfan
06-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Have to tear my engine all the way back down. Just decided to re-read the toque specs for everything and realized that the way the head bolt torque specs were written confused me and I made an error. Problem is that I used rtv under the heads of the bolts that go into the water jackets and now it is cured necessitating the removal if he intake, heads etc. New gaskets new head bolts. Time to burn the car to the ground I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minaccia
06-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Sucks but that's how projects go some times but best part is you found out earlier rather than later were it would of cost you more ca$h.

Stephen06GT
06-13-2018, 08:11 PM
What Lou said.^^

Ponyryd
06-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Water jackets are only in the lower holes, not sure why you need to remove the intake, or heads for that matter. If it was me I’d take the bolts out one by one, clean them and apply new sealant, torque to spec and be done, just need to remove valve covers and plenum. Also, you don’t need rtv under the bolt heads, just on the threads, and only the lower ones, and for that matter, you should be using Teflon, not rtv :)

1986stangfan
06-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Water jackets are only in the lower holes, not sure why you need to remove the intake, or heads for that matter. If it was me I’d take the bolts out one by one, clean them and apply new sealant, torque to spec and be done, just need to remove valve covers and plenum. Also, you don’t need rtv under the bolt heads, just on the threads, and only the lower ones, and for that matter, you should be using Teflon, not rtv :)

I used arp thread sealer on the bolt bread and rtv under the heads of the bolts, it was recommended by someone.

Ponyryd
06-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Okay well maybe he knows something I don’t, but I’ll tell you that there should never be coolant at the bolt head if the threads are sealed.
Now, if you used thread sealer it should still be pliable, so you can very likely just do the correct torque (unless you’re loosening the bolts) without pulling the bolts at all, but that depends on the sealer, if you still have some, put a thin layer on a piece of paper or something and see if it dries, Teflon takes a while to dry so it really depends what it was.

1986stangfan
06-13-2018, 11:47 PM
Turns out I’m a bigger moron that anyone could have imagined. As it turns out everything was torque correctly, my memory failed me as to what I had done. Thankfully my dad was there when I installed the heads and he reminded me and then I double checked the torque. Crisis averted

newbiestangowner
06-14-2018, 03:16 AM
Turns out I’m a bigger moron that anyone could have imagined. As it turns out everything was torque correctly, my memory failed me as to what I had done. Thankfully my dad was there when I installed the heads and he reminded me and then I double checked the torque. Crisis averted

U started to “doubt” yourself huh??
We’ve all been there. Glad it worked out, but are you two sure ?? Lol

Scrape
06-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Crisis averted. That has happened to me in the past. Your OCD is strong sir. :D

stangstevers
06-14-2018, 06:47 AM
Never heard of RTV under the bolt heads before... That sounds like hogwash, don't pay too much attention to future "tips" from that person (imo)... I think the normal procedure is thread sealer for the bottom bolts but before doing that, cleaning the threads (in the block) is a good idea. Torque it down using the pattern and I think it's a 2 or 3 step process.

1986stangfan
06-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Never heard of RTV under the bolt heads before... That sounds like hogwash, don't pay too much attention to future "tips" from that person (imo)... I think the normal procedure is thread sealer for the bottom bolts but before doing that, cleaning the threads (in the block) is a good idea. Torque it down using the pattern and I think it's a 2 or 3 step process.

Exactly what I did, other than the addition is rtv under bolt heads

ZR
06-14-2018, 07:36 AM
In the future, RTV on the threads only.

1986stangfan
06-14-2018, 03:58 PM
In the future, RTV on the threads only.

Yeah I really should have known better than to listen to my buddy anyways. But no harm done yet fingers crossed 🤞🏻

bbriann
06-14-2018, 08:03 PM
My OCD only flairs up on an hourly basis...been there.