PDA

View Full Version : why is wrap so expensive?

stangstevers
06-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Looks like I need to fork over almost 3 grand to wrap a small car like the notch! I figure the paint I'd like to do would end up getting the notch sold since it would be too nice to drive. I kind of like how it's a bit of a turd right now with scratches, poor paint work, etc... so I was thinking I want to wrap the sucker in a satin blue something like the blue bmw below or satin gun metal...

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/f10-bmw-m5-in-blue-satin-chrome-photo-gallery-48749-7.jpg

Since the car is black, I don't need to wrap the door jambs or anything fancy... If it was like $1000 I'd get it done asap. I'm tempted to try the spray on wrap which a complete kit is under 500 bucks. Or wrap it myself but vinyl and I don't get along, I struggle to put on a bumper sticker without bubbles lol... But to save 2 grand you bet I'd learn how to do it...

Anyone do this or have ideas on how to cheap out? lol It's not like I'm trying to enhance a Lamborghini which gold wrap or something, it's just an 87 Mustang with bad paint...

5.4MarkVIII
06-23-2018, 08:35 AM
two things factor in big time with wrap, (we wrap our work vehicles for advertising)

first factor is the material used, cheap out and it starts to fade and look crappy very quick, after a couple years you will be forking out the money again so no real gain.

second is labor, on our panel van the labor isn't that bad because its its big and flat, so much for cutting and fitting a aligning sheets.

iicr it was cheaper for me to wrap our panel van than it was our old service van (chev uplander) even though it was three times the size,

you also will notice very quickly quality difference in the install, mis match panels. frayed edges, cutting into paint when trimming ect, someone rushing to do it cheap ass possible can cause you more money down the road

honestly in the end, even a good wrap is not gonna last you ten years, good paint cared for will.

Ponyryd
06-23-2018, 12:24 PM
two things factor in big time with wrap, (we wrap our work vehicles for advertising)

first factor is the material used, cheap out and it starts to fade and look crappy very quick, after a couple years you will be forking out the money again so no real gain.

second is labor, on our panel van the labor isn't that bad because its its big and flat, so much for cutting and fitting a aligning sheets.

iicr it was cheaper for me to wrap our panel van than it was our old service van (chev uplander) even though it was three times the size,

you also will notice very quickly quality difference in the install, mis match panels. frayed edges, cutting into paint when trimming ect, someone rushing to do it cheap ass possible can cause you more money down the road

honestly in the end, even a good wrap is not gonna last you ten years, good paint cared for will.

Exactly this. $3k for a good wrap on a car is well worth it once you figure in the materials, prep and time/skill to install it. Although I will disagree about the longevity claim posted above, if it’s cared for and kept inside it can last for well over 10 years, but something that’s left outside and abused will surely not last as long.
If it was me I’d leave it alone, pristine cars rarely get driven as they cause worry, which is why I love drivers more than show cars, by a wide margin actually.

Bksrt8
06-23-2018, 06:06 PM
I was gonna do the hood roof and trunk of my Charger with 3m carbon fiber wrap at a place in Pickering and that alone was going to be 1000 bucks. I passed.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

hsousa88
06-23-2018, 09:19 PM
I dunno.. for the money it seems like tearing apart the car yourself and getting it painted is a better deal.

5.4MarkVIII
06-23-2018, 09:28 PM
The last wrap on out service van made it 8 years. weekly washes life outside. It was pretty much dead at the end of the 8 years.