PDA

View Full Version : Question on Purchasing car out of Province

Gr8Stang
06-26-2018, 09:00 PM
From the little info. I gathered on Service Ontario (someone please help them improve their website!), I would just bring in my bill of sale and my drivers license and other proof of identity, Pay the Ontario sales tax (GST already collected in origin province) and I'm good?

Do I need to have the car safety checked here before it can be registered & plated? I would have proof of a "mechanical inspection" performed by the dealer if I pull the trigger.....not sure that works though in place of the Ontario safety check?

83 5.0
06-26-2018, 09:07 PM
I brought a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 in a number of years ago from New Brunswick, and had to do a full safety and pay taxes on the book value at the service Ontario. The annual safety from New Brunswick was not recognized.
Because I drove it back to Ontario New Brunswick gave me a temporary permit, and I didn't pay tax in their province.
May have changed, but this was my experience.

bluetoy
06-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Just helped my In-laws buy a 08 Van from Quebec. It needed an Ontario safety and no etest. Paid tax on bill of sale price and that's it.

Gr8Stang
06-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys! Glad to hear it's pretty painless. Kinda thought a safety would have to be done. Oh well....

trickflow-jay
06-30-2018, 12:06 PM
if u need a safety hit me up